The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Need help with my zz502 (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144967)

drdave69 10-15-2017 10:35 PM

Need help with my zz502

My zz502 has me stumped. I had Eric rebuild the Holley and it performed excellent but it did not cure my problem. I then had F.A.S.T EFI installed (not cheap) and the issue is still present. The problem: it starts and runs fine from cold but after running up to temp and parking for a little while (20 - 30 minutes) it doesn’t want to start again and doesn’t want to idle. I have put in new plugs, ignition coil, plug wires and had the timing checked by the guy that installed the efi. What can cause this issue?

Spooky 10-15-2017 11:06 PM

Have you checked the wiring in the car? If it is old it may have a bad wire with a break or corroded inside the jacket. Heated up it expands and may be losing contact. Just throwing another possibility. You can check with a multi meter when cold then hot. My car did this with the starter wiring.

Scott

Spooky 10-15-2017 11:06 PM

Also check the grounds.

earntaz 10-16-2017 12:30 AM

Have you tried hot wiring it just to check the primary ignition wiring??

markjohnson 10-16-2017 05:37 AM

Almost sounds like a heat soak problem with the carburetor and you might want to try a thicker heat-insulate gasket between the manifold and carb.

VintageMusclecar 10-16-2017 12:29 PM

What distributor?

miket1 10-16-2017 01:04 PM

Ignition Module,, or if msd,,ignition box.

drdave69 10-16-2017 01:52 PM

By the way this is in my 1966 Corvette. The Holley is no longer on the engine. It has FAST EFI now. I recently checked the ground strap from the engine to the front crossmember and cleaned the surfaces. I also installed a second ground strap on the other side of the engine to the frame rail (with cleaned surfaces).

The 502 has the HEI that came with the engine 12 years ago. I bought another new coil this past Saturday, installed it and it did not cure the problem.

I do not know how to hotwire it but I will check the voltage when cold and hot.

Thanks for the info.

earntaz 10-16-2017 04:25 PM

On the side of the HEI cap that holds the coil you will see connections (should be on the drivers side ... if someone has jacked with it) -- one is marked IGN ... run a hot wire from a good 12V source to there. OR hook up a volt meter to this IGN source and see if you have 12V with key in the ON position -- 12V during cranking ... TAZ

drdave69 10-16-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earntaz (Post 1371377)
On the side of the HEI cap that holds the coil you will see connections (should be on the drivers side ... if someone has jacked with it) -- one is marked IGN ... run a hot wire from a good 12V source to there. OR hook up a volt meter to this IGN source and see if you have 12V with key in the ON position -- 12V during cranking ... TAZ

I'll check it with my volt meter for IGN and Crank when cold and hot.