The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   69 Chevelle Wiper Motor will not turn off (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149157)

Woj 05-30-2018 01:03 AM

69 Chevelle Wiper Motor will not turn off

Hi Gents,

I'm working on a 69 Chevelle for a friend. Basically finishing the last 5% of a restoration. Before I buttoned up the dash today, I tested the wiper switch and motor. It turned on, both speeds worked and when I shut it off, the motor parked and turned off. I didn't have the wiper arms on at this point. I subsequently put on the wiper arms and blades. Gave it another go and the motor will not shut off or park at this point.

Anyone been down this road before? Before I start taking the dash or anything else apart, I'd like to see if anyone has a good starting point to diagnose this.

Thanks.

Phil Woj.

L16pilot 05-30-2018 01:31 AM

I am not specifically familiar with the 69 Chevelle wiper motor, but I believe they all work similar in that the center terminal is 12 v hot all the time. The low speed terminal is grounded to start the low speed cycle. The high speed terminal is then grounded along with the low speed to achieve high speed wiper action. Then the high and low grounds must be removed in reverse order for the motor to park. My guess is the low speed wire is inadvertently grounded not allowing the motor to stop. remove the three prong plug and test either two outside terminals to see if you get zero-low ohms with the wiper switch in the off position. If you do...start tracing it back to the switch from there....could be wiring or could be internal to the wiper switch. Hope this helps

SS69chevelle 05-30-2018 02:36 AM

mine did that as well, check the wires on the switch and I also wound up buying a new motor.

Woj 05-30-2018 08:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will get the VOM out tomorrow and start testing.

Phil W.

Woj 05-30-2018 01:29 PM

It ends up the problem is in the motor assy. I hooked up an NOS one to the wiring and each switch position functioned normally.

Thanks for the input.

Phil W.

mockingbird812 05-30-2018 03:11 PM

Good deal Woj. I am going thru testing phase right now with mine. Waiting for a magnetic switch to come in which controls the parking function of the wipers.

L16pilot 05-30-2018 04:19 PM

Good to hear it was just the motor assembly...chasing wires can be very frustrating.

NEATSS 05-30-2018 04:59 PM

I had the very same issue. The motor will not stop until it goes into park position. A coil holds the parking paw until until the switch is turned off. At that time the paw drops out and causes the blades to go to park which breaks contacts to stop the motor. The coil that holds the parking paw is not releasing, be it mechanical or electrical. With mine it seemed there was residual magnetism holding the paw and keeping it from activating. I could not find a mechanical cause. I replaced the coil assembly with a used one and problem solved.

Woj 05-30-2018 07:43 PM

Is this something that can be repaired easily, or should it be sent out to someone who has already done this? The motor looks to have been restored already, but I'm not sure who did it?

mockingbird812 05-30-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woj (Post 1402761)
Is this something that can be repaired easily, or should it be sent out to someone who has already done this? The motor looks to have been restored already, but I'm not sure who did it?

Woj - my 49 y.o. motor looks pristine/new and was never restored. They are really encapsulated in there well. So your bud's motor may or may not have been restored. there is an adjustment screw (with a nut to secure it in set positon) at the end of the motor drive shaft that can be adjusted and will affect where the brushes contact the motor. You might check that that is set right.