View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,808 Times in 762 Posts
Default Re: Passing the reins to our Grandson

Update on things........

Before our annual Good Friday trip this year to Mom and Dad's we did some more work.

The car had some high performance "Day 2" spark plug wires. In addition to being almost 30 years old they were red and stuck out like a sore thumb on an otherwise mostly stock under hood setup, so a new set of replacement AC Delco wires were ordered. They showed up Friday morning and I figured we could try and get them on before we left. Since the wires were going to be replaced I thought it would be a good idea to replace the spark plugs too. Back in the day Dad bought spares of almost everything so there were some new AC Delco plugs in the parts bins and those went in along with the new wires in time for us to leave and take the car with all of the improvements on its 2016 first run. It ran very well and everything worked perfectly on the 110 mile round trip.

These cars have flexible soft plastic/rubber bumper filler inserts and over time they start to decay and literally fall apart when touched. We first noticed this several years ago and chose to leave the originals in place. The drivers rear side is getting really bad and needs to be replaced - it can't be justified as survivor quality any longer since 2/3 of it is missing. The other 3 sides are not too far behind. I noticed the Parts Place sells the pliable reproductions and coincidently I had a meeting on a project we are finishing up about 5 miles from there. I stopped in and they had a set of fronts and rears in stock so they came home with me. Now to get them painted with the correct flexible additive and then installed on the car. Hopefully they fit well.

Stay tuned....

Dykstra Motorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RPOLS3 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (12-05-2023)