View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosportGreen66 View Post
I need to ask the community - how is no one else outraged by this situation?

Because the world of Corvettes is microscopic, turns out I had this car flagged in my database as having a reproduction trim tag after a friend asked for my opinion of the tag. I never saw the VIN though.

This situation frustrated me immensely so I stepped up and reached out to the buyer who posted on the Corvette Forum. I am NOT affiliated with him or this transaction in any way shape or form. I did this because I have unfortunately have the experience of dealing with a dishonest seller (a member here) which cost me $10k +. I gave him candid advice and he acted promptly. Kuddos to him! He sent pics to a very well known Corvette expert (a member here too) and the expert and I had communication and agreed on the details of the car – real VIN, fake trim tag, fake paperwork. The buyer had correspondence with the seller and the seller agreed to take the car back without financial implication. The return/refund is slated for later this week.

As a community of classic car enthusiasts, we should continuously be assertive and vigilant against reproduction documents, dishonesty, and fraud within our hobby.

Dan

That has happened to me on the Corvette Forum several times. Once I pointed out an issue with a trim tag it was an St Louis built body 67 Corvette with A.O smith built trim tag obviously the tag was changed. They treated me like I was trying to cause trouble. Every time I look at a car with any kind of documentation I approach them with the assumption that they are fake until I can prove it other wise. To many cars out there have original paperwork or "original drive-train" these days. If I didn't know any better it would seem like everyone (back in the day) babied their cars and knew they would be worth a lot of money one day?

Matt.

Last edited by Nasblu; 05-08-2018 at 03:47 PM.