Thread: Erica Enders
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Erica Enders

Unfortunately, there's really not much about any type of racing that is "affordable".

My wife and I bracket raced for 7 years, before we had kids. It was alot of fun, but we spent a small fortune during that time, compared to our relative income level.

Speed costs money and anyone that has ever driven a racecar knows that faster is always better. Every upgrade leads to breaking the next weakest part. Just thumb through a Jegs catalog - aluminum rims $300 each, camshafts $350, MSD box $500+. Racing isn't an affordable pastime! Has anyone looked at the cost of fuel and travel lately? Just getting to and from the track could set you back $200+ every event.

As for stock or superstock, or any other "Super" class for that matter, the parts and specifications are so specialized in many cases that they cost more than you'd ever expect. Now, to be competitive... that's a whole different story!

I hate to be the rainy face here, but everything costs more and there's little hope of turning back the clocks. Perhaps the best chance of getting back to cars like we watched in our youth is the pure stock racing, where the car would still have significant value as a restored vehicle. At least that way you'd kind of get a two-for-one investment.

Blair