Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > L78/L89 specific Forum

Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Actually guys, I need help with something.

The project car has early GM replacement quarters and the placement of the rear marker lights I need to verify as they are pretty crudely cut (let alone the Nova emblem placement above it but that will be step 2...)

I have scoured the 68 AIM and Chassis manual and I cannot for the life of me any references on how to locate proper position of the marker and/or emblem … I’m looking to drill appropriate holes on the replacement quarters.

As a starting point I will look to confirm a proper location of the rear marker light. I think the 68 and 69 position should be the same… but want to verify. I have measured the distance (with a soft tape) from the top rear of the bezel to the rear edge of the fender on the project 68 and my completed 69. .

See picture below. On the 68 it is 7” from top bezel edge to edge of fender. On my 69 car it’s 6 1/8”. Seems Like too large of a difference to be left to factory variance.
Can anyone else take a quick measurement on a 68 or 69 like I did in the picture below?
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM

Thanked 1,705 Times in 504 Posts
Post 68 measurements...

Doug...

Thought I would jump in to try and help.

Here is the info I provided previously...I had the 68 car out the other day and re-checked.

5 5/8” from bottom of the Nova emblem to the top of the marker lite bezel

5 ¾ “ form the edge of the ‘A’ in Nova to rear edge of the quarter….

6 .5 “ top of the ‘N’ to the top edge of the quarter…

photos attached....

68 and 69 position is the same. I know there are some members here with 69's...Sammy and Joe come to mind. Maybe they can confirm measurements.

Another option would be to check with one of the sheet metal suppliers and ask them if they would give you some measurements...might help.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Attached Images

02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WILMASBOYL78 For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (Yesterday), dykstra (Today), L78_Nova (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Thanks Tom, appreciate it…. It’s that one measurement from the marker bezel to the edge of the quarter that I need to verify - if it’s in the right spot I can triangulate with your measurements of the emblem.

I’d hate to finish the car and have the marker light nearly an inch forward of where it should be (note, I will be weirdly relieved nearly but still annoyed if my marker light on my 69 is an inch further back than it should be.. )
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM

Car looks great by the way Tom. Hoping to make its Butternut brother proud with this one….
Old Today, 01:52 PM

Thanked 1,705 Times in 504 Posts
Default 68 l78....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougsL78 View Post
Thanks Tom, appreciate it…. It’s that one measurement from the marker bezel to the edge of the quarter that I need to verify - if it’s in the right spot I can triangulate with your measurements of the emblem.

I’d hate to finish the car and have the marker light nearly an inch forward of where it should be (note, I will be weirdly relieved nearly but still annoyed if my marker light on my 69 is an inch further back than it should be.. )
Just so I understand...

you want the measurement from the rear edge of the bezel to the edge of the quarter...correct..?? I will try to get it this weekend.

I still think it would be good to get a comparison from a couple of other places. I'm sure one of the sheet metal providers would help with the measurements...the image below is a Goodmark part...lots of folks sell them. That way you get the exact dimensions for the hole.

tew
Attached Images

02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old Today, 02:18 PM

I've got 2 68's with OG quarters on them. one is a project so the rear bumper could easily come off for more ease of measuring. PM me and I'll send you my phone #
Old Today, 02:34 PM

Thanks Tom,

Correct - in the photo above is the exact place I'm trying to get a measurement for.

Rear edge of the bezel (at the top of the rear edge of bezel - its just easier to get a measuring tape on) to the rear edge of the fender.

I am trying to do as much homework as possible as well - being in western Canada there isnt a warehouse of aftermarket Nova fenders hanging around... Ive called OER and they thought I was crazy... There are a few 69's around town so when I catch them I will take some measurements there too.