Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
Maybe we should just stick to collecting Pontiacs and Fords. At least Jim Mattison and Kevin Marti offer the real deal.
For which we Pontiac enthusiast are very grateful.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 05-17-2018, 03:35 PM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.Repro documents have their place as they're made for display purposes.Honest sellers disclose that beforehand & just destroy them.

By this definition,should reproduction car parts never be produced today too?
They too have their place & serve an honest purpose.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

That would be great if everyone was honest.. But that is not the case. What happens if you die unexpectedly? Will your wife and/or kids know that fake docs are to be destroyed? What about the other guy that has the same thoughts as you? Eventually somewhere down the road this is gonna happen.. This is EXACTLY why I stated what I did previously.. I'll quote it for the lazy that do not want to go back..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook_dw View Post
This is exactly right.. The reality of all this is the buyer has to do the work.. All we as hobbyist can do is support the ones that ask and continue to expose the ones that pop up. As long as greed and ignorance are in the equation there is nothing more ultimately we can do.

The argument being discussed here will never end. Just like politics..
Old 05-17-2018, 03:58 PM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

I agree not everyone is honest,that's why websites like this one help aid in what's original and what isn't.
Never go by what some widow or her children tell you their deceased husbands/fathers car is..At least I wouldn't.
Some might say a nieve buyer who refuses to be knowledgeable & informed in what to look for in a repro doc is lazy.....some might.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:02 PM

I had a window sticker made up. It's obviously a repro. I didn't buy the one that's made to look old etc. It's a brand new piece of paper. I laminated it. If anyone thinks it's original, they need a dope slap. IMO, there is nothing wrong with it. Like Darryl said, this is like politics. Thankfully my opinion is the right one.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 05-17-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
^ Or better, in my opinion, not exist at all.
Totally agree. I've been in this hobby for more than 45 years and have never agreed with reproduction documents. You don't need repro window stickers to interest people or generate discussion. The same content can be shown on a display sign or separate piece of paper without implying there is anything original or official about the information. Reproduction window stickers are bogus and frequently have made-up or incorrect information. Yes, they should be destroyed before a vehicle is put up for sale, but I doubt many are. Cars in the biggest North American auctions display bogus window stickers all the time. I have yet to see a repro window sticker displayed that contains the word 'reproduction' anywhere on the document, which can only leave the impression that it's original, and that's wrong. JMO.

Bob
MJV1953 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 04:16 PM

But everyone is ok with clones...

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 05-17-2018, 04:28 PM

I personally don't like clones. There are way too many and way too much false info out there.
Some of the prices are outrageous also.
I'm just not into this stuff for making money. I just like the sheer enjoyment I get from a REAL documented car. Nothing more nothing less.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteB For This Useful Post:
MosportGreen66 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Unsuspecting buyers with repro documents

[QUOTE=JayR;1401352]Totally agree. I've been in this hobby for more than 45 years and have never agreed with reproduction documents. You don't need repro window stickers to interest people or generate discussion. The same content can be shown on a display sign or separate piece of paper without implying there is anything original or official about the information. Reproduction window stickers are bogus and frequently have made-up or incorrect information. Yes, they should be destroyed before a vehicle is put up for sale, but I doubt many are. Cars in the biggest North American auctions display bogus window stickers all the time. I have yet to see a repro window sticker displayed that contains the word 'reproduction' anywhere on the document, which can only leave the impression that it's original, and that's wrong. JMO.

Bob[/QUOTE
I agree completely, BUT, it was my experience when I showed Corvettes, As stated in this post prior: There MUST be a Window Sticker attached to the car real or repro or points will be deducted at Bloomington Gold and NCRS judged events

Bill
Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
I have yet to see a repro window sticker displayed that contains the word 'reproduction' anywhere on the document, which can only leave the impression that it's original, and that's wrong. JMO.

Bob
That's a judgement call by an individual and not the documents fault.

The way I see it, to be safe, as far as Chevrolets go, any document you see should be considered repo.

Personally, I don't put much stock in the paperwork these days anyway. I let the car present itself. Do the homework. If I can't identify what the car is or should be with the parts and pieces that are present, on a Chevrolet that doesn't have an untampered data plate or vin that provides enough information, and have to rely on paperwork alone.......I just don't buy the car.

I agree with most, it's neat to see this stuff displayed at a show, it adds to the vintage appeal of a classic car, but when I see one, it's nothing more than show props to me. Assuming every one I see is real and original would just be stupid on my part.