Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 04-17-2002, 05:02 AM

Default Re: 2002 ZL1 Camaro's

Matt, Thank you for the insite. Some are missing the most important point you made... Do I understand correctly? Snuff the Vette and it's over, GM shuts down your project...

...Dennis
Team Camaro
Old 04-17-2002, 07:32 AM

Thanks again for your kind responses. One thing about recertifying emissions federally is that you have to send a base car to one of two Federal Emission labs in the country and baseline the car as stock with 3000 miles on it, then make the engine mods and other stuff we do to the car and then send it back and it must stay within a certain percent of the baseline. A good example is in '97 SLP built 100 LT4 Corvette motors in a 30th anniversary Camaro. They were $45,000.00 MSRP cars in '97 and had 330HP. The stock LT4 Corvette motor failed the test because it was not within the allotted percent of difference. They had to change the cam, computer and injectors to make it pass. This LS6 motor is cleaner and much to our surprise it passed using the stock 2002 motor with no changes. Just because some tuner says that a motor is a street motor and or emission legal motor, that is no were near emission certified legal and in this case would never fly from the dealer level today.
GM Performance Parts is building 69 special LS6 Camaro Motors for these cars, since the Corvette version has a different oil pan and had to be changed out. Jon Moss at Chevy agreed to personally sign the dash (like Dale Earnhardt did on the Intimidator SS, see our web page and click on the Intimidator SS to see location of Dale's signature www.gmmginc.net). In place of the RPM x1000, which we deleted, he signs in that spot with a sharpie marker. His black ZL1 pro-street Camaro is where we got the stripe scheme for this car. Please, stop dreaming about this car, if you have $350,000.00 Jon will tell you he could make you one just like it, but this car is a one off pro-street, not factory, car. Jon is a great guy and ironically one of the engineers that created the chambered exhaust in '67 & '68.
I will post again if you don't mind this 4th gen stuff. Our intentions were not to create a car that would be compared to the original ZL1 or the current Z06 Corvette. That would be like conparing Dale Earnhardt JR to his dad. A lot of similarities but ready to create his own legend. And as far as "LS6 Camaro" for the name, well that was the original project name, "LS6 Project Camaro;" but, all along, I wanted to use ZL1 because if you get a chance to see or drive one of the production versions, you will be amazed as to how cool this car is. Terry Cole at Super Chevy Magazine said it best when he said, "This car is the perfect mix of raw performance and hot rodding ingenuity." He also said, "I never Misjudged anything as much as I did here by jumping to the wrong conclusion about this car. To sum it up: this potential-production Supercar is a throw-back to the big-block-powered machines of the late 60's -- only better in every way!" I say bring on the 2001 Mustang Cobra R and have Ford bring their new 390hp supercharged 2003 Cobra. I promise you, they will go crying back to their SVT stable like Mustangs have always done. We are planning on a shootout with Bill Porterfields '69 #1 ZL1 and his new 2002 ZL1, stay tuned, a national magazine has the approval to cover it. By the way, the tires on this new ZL1 car have raised black letters that say "Goodyear Eagle F-1 SUPERCAR" on them. A fitting name for this car.

Old 04-17-2002, 12:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,629 Times in 1,174 Posts

Any Chance of a 2002 ZL-1 Camaro attending the Collinsville Il. Super car reunion Show this summer?
Either by owner or manufacturer?
Old 04-18-2002, 05:02 AM

Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,015 Posts

Here is a link to Matt's page with the list of Dealers that are selling the cars. http://www.gmmginc.net/html/zl1distrolist.html
Old 04-18-2002, 10:45 AM

no matter what you call it, it is GM approved and will make production, and a production run of the last 69 cars built. no other aftermarket company can claim this. i think the stage two 470 horsepower engine will surprise any enthusiast. i own 4 , 427 big block cars, the differnce is the smooth power with no shaking and feel of the true musclecar era which i love in the old cars. it is modern day with a new twist. a little more comfortable to drive with modern day amenities. a driver you might say. i know one thing i don't like to tak my 69 nova, chevelle, or camaro around the block too often. call the car what you want. baskin and robbins makes 32 flavors of ice cream for a reason. i like the old for heritage and the true musclcar feel and power, the new for comfort and power, add handling. good luck matt, the old Zl1 and 427 won't ever be replaced and i don't think matt is trying to do that. i think the 4th gen cars have alot more to offer than the second and third, nothing will EVER replace the first gen. happy motoring!
Old 04-19-2002, 06:53 AM

matt murphy,

I just like the idea of Chevrolet bringing the Camaro back to the top of the list of being one of the most desirable cars on the planet. Hope the hiatus is short.

I kind of like the idea that the first production race camaro was a small block, and now the same for the last.

Just curious, who gets the #1 2002 ZL1?
Old 04-19-2002, 08:22 AM

To bad they cant match the number of the 2002 cars with the like number of the 69's
Old 04-19-2002, 02:10 PM

Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,015 Posts

TopStock...Porterfield is getting the # 1 car to match his # 1 car. It is even going to be painted Candy Red like his # 1 car. I believe Holub is getting the # 2 car. I'm getting the # 3 car,Daytona Yellow and through Berger of coarse.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:33 PM

GUYS, LETS NOT FORGET THAT THIS CAR HASN'T BEEN NAMED ANYTHING YET, AND MAY NOT BE NAMED ANYTHING BUT A CAMARO. IT DOESN,T APPEAR THAT GM IS INTERESTED IN LETTING IT BE CALLED A ZL1 OR LS6 FOR THAT MATTER, THEY MAY JUST CALL IT BAD TO THE BONE!BBBBBADDDDDDDDD!
Old 04-20-2002, 02:18 AM

If you are a muscle car lover and (in particular) a Camaro lover Matt's car will make your mouth water. No matter what the car is called it won't be just another tuner car. I think Matt will see to that.

Being an old timer and having owned and driven a few muscle cars I have been looking for that one car that brings back big block memories with all the modern technologies. This is the car I've been looking for.

Anybody can send a car to LPE, but only 69 of these cars will be built. And when you look at the whole package the price isn't out of line. And who's to say a few of these cars won't end up with LPE 427s in 'em? I know of one that might.

02 SS 23mi. 500 ci