Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Default 72 Formula 455HO/4 spd

I have just joined the Registry today,because on Friday the 14th,I am buying my first super car that I totally lucked into.it is an original 72 Formula 455 HO,4 speed car,one of 10 only HO's sold in Canada.I have the GM of Canada documentation,PHS documentation,and still have 6 more sleeps until I get the car home.It is loaded with factory ordered options,Air,PW/P/locks,tilt,gauges,AM/fM,rear speaker,electric rear window de-icer,and super rare special order paint,code W-51,on GM of Canada documents,and Code 1 on PHS documents,with no record of the paint colour at Pontiac historical.The data plate on the firewall is double dash for paint code.it is a black Formula,deluxe black interior,Just turned 90,000 miles ,with 2000 miles on the rebuilt of the original motor.Looking forward to this Friday,as the car is only 25 minutes away from coming to a new home.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry trans6.jpg trans5.jpg trans4.jpg trans3.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts
Default Re: 72 Formula 455HO/4 spd

Congrats and welcome to the site...That fills our quota of Pontiac guys named Grant.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Welcome Grant! Photos are required on this site. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

If this were an automatic car, it almost sounds like the car that was specially built for Pontiac president James McDonald, who replaced John DeLorean in 1969. By 1972, the F-body was in danger of being discontinued. James McDonald liked luxury cars, so the boys built him a fully loaded black 1972 Formula 455HO, which he used as his own personal car. They said it swayed his opinion of the Firebird, and he agreed to argue with GM to keep the F-body alive. McDonald left Pontiac in late 1972, replaced by Caserio, who was focused on marketing and sales rather than performance. The SD-455 was the first of the projects to be under Caserio's scrutiny, and he didn't like what he saw. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]

I have photos of McDonalds 1972 Formula 455HO somewhere. I think it had something like 33 options.

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 AM

Welcome to the site! Pictures are definitely mandatory...what wheels did the car come with from the factory?

Honey's would look killer on a black car...
Old 10-09-2011, 01:07 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Pictures now!!!

I'd love a black Formula. The car sounds awesome.

Wanna trade? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 AM

Sounds like a cool car..
Old 10-09-2011, 03:29 AM

Steve, do you recall the black 72 Formula 455HO 4-speed on E-bay, I think around 2009? I believe that was out of Wilson Pontiac in MD. I think I have the invoice for that car. I recall it having the rear spoiler, but Rally II's.

I remember that the James McDonald car (black, auto) had honeycombs, and every available option. There was a super thick binder of documentation that accompanied that car.

A black 72 Formula Firebird is just plain cool. With a rear spoiler, that special hood, 455 HO, and those honeycomb wheels matching the one-year only honeycomb grilles, it's at the top of my list of cars to own someday. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 AM

Hello there... fellow Grant!!! Nice to see another here and a Pontiac guy as well. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] That sounds like an amazing car you found. Like the others, looking forward to some photos...

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 AM

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Welcome Grant!</span> [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats and welcome to the site...That fills our quota of Pontiac guys named Grant. </div></div>

LOL Charley! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img]

RIP COPO PETE!
</span> </span>
Old 10-09-2011, 04:37 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve, do you recall the black 72 Formula 455HO 4-speed on E-bay, I think around 2009? I believe that was out of Wilson Pontiac in MD. I think I have the invoice for that car. I recall it having the rear spoiler, but Rally II's.

I remember that the James McDonald car (black, auto) had honeycombs, and every available option. There was a super thick binder of documentation that accompanied that car.

A black 72 Formula Firebird is just plain cool. With a rear spoiler, that special hood, 455 HO, and those honeycomb wheels matching the one-year only honeycomb grilles, it's at the top of my list of cars to own someday. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] </div></div>

Yes i remember that car. I think i saved some photos from the listing. Very cool.