Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Question....

Not being critical here, but regarding TAR6569 and I'm assuming Bill's comments on the window sticker posted by TAR

Can we really be sure of fake documents because of misspellings? I mean these were typed by normal people and mistakes did happen. Seems like fonts aren't a definite either since it would seem obvious to me they weren't all typed up on the same machine. Or are you speaking of fonts from the few words that are ink printed on the page?

For my piece of mind and to be absolutely 100% certain, are there better ways to weed out the fakes that takes human error out of the equation?

Because at this point in time, as far as docs go, and the amount of docs being called fake this day and age, I just don't put much faith, or value, in any paper documention for Chevrolets these days.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 PM

I should be clear, I'm not asking for secrets and if that question is asking to reveal them, don't answer. I just want to try and understand that the so called experts that are pointing out fakes are basing their assumption on more than just a misspelling of a word. Because for my piece of mind, I would need more than that to convince me.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 05-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

Wasn't it also common for the actual dealer to type up a window sticker ?
MosportGreen66 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
So for 'conversation' purposes why try to mimic the appearance of a genuine document? You could easily type up a simple one-page sheet of paper that lists out all the options, selling dealer etc, and display that - and NOBODY is ever going to be taken into thinking that's genuine provenance.

Why restore an old car with reproduction parts mirroring the original used by the factory when it was sold brand new?...Because that best resembles how it looked when it was sold brand new.
If they just came with "a simple one-page sheet of paper that lists out all the options,selling dealer etc," then they'd do that today too.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lillard View Post
During an NCRS technical event a few weeks ago, Grenning shared photos of not only dealer errors but also factory errors on documents, trim tags, vin tags and even engine stamps. Human error is not a good metric for determining authenticity. Font style and type, maybe...
Old 05-14-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Unsuspecting buyers with repro documents

The ebay listed window sticker has no indication of color for the car listed. Every REAL 1967 Corvette window sticker I ever saw had the color of the car on it, that's what I remember, but I am old, so take it for what it's worth. Just offering an Opinion, and you know what those are like.

Bill

Last edited by Big Block Bill; 05-14-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Ebay window sticker
Old 05-14-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lillard View Post
Thanks Charley. That's what I was thinking, hence the reason for my question.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosportGreen66 View Post
During an NCRS technical event a few weeks ago, Grenning shared photos of not only dealer errors but also factory errors on documents, trim tags, vin tags and even engine stamps. Human error is not a good metric for determining authenticity. Font style and type, maybe...
Those were my thoughts. Since we already know of mis-stamped trim tags and the like. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't out in left field someplace. Thanks MosportGreen66.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Bill View Post
The ebay listed window sticker has no indication of color for the car listed. Every REAL 1967 Corvette window sticker I ever saw had the color of the car on it, that's what I remember, but I am old, so take it for what it's worth. Just offering an Opinion, and you know what those are like.

Bill
Was not my intention to discredit you in any way. Matter of fact, what you point out does make one want to look closer at the window sticker and scrutinize.
My reasoning was that there are so many documents now pointed out as fakes and people using spelling or misprints as reasoning, I'm starting to wonder if real ones now have been mistakenly considered fake.
My father still has all his paper work for his 69 GTO he bought new (and still owns) I'm now half tempted to pull it all out and start combing it over for discrepancies, lol.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:54 PM

The dealer never typed up the window sticker. That was something done at the plant or maybe the zone office. Only a few times have I seen a real typed window sticker. Usually it was for a car that was used in company service. Could have been so the sticker shows the dealer same up top instead of the zone office. Or could have been to get the sticker down to 1 page from 2 if it was loaded with options (and being sold through a Chevy dealer). I suppose it could have been used to fix a mistake too if it was that big of a problem.

The fonts are something I usually pick up on. The printed font is very distinctive to my eyes. I can usually tell if someone tried to type it on a line or used a regular printer. The typed stickers I have seen all used the same typeface from what I recall.

This vette sticker doesn't have the exception codes either, which would have been on there, even if it was originally typed. No dealer codes, and yes, it should have the paint and interior listed.

I think I would have enjoyed that technical event. I remember seeing a misspelling on a original window sticker once, some time ago. Not sure if I've seen another. I'd definitely look closer if it had a mistake. Do you remember what types of errors were on the documents? I've seen errors on vin and cowl tags. Saw a Wagon with a four door sedan vin tag once. Was factory. Also, a 16437 Impala that had a 16447 vin.