The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Another BMW: 1987 all over again! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178198)

Big Block Bill 02-27-2024 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwbavalon (Post 1645049)
Congrats Dave. I had a lot of fun driving my E30M3, as BMW said, "the ultimate driving machine".

Attachment 256922

I think the BMW term: "the ultimate driving machine" was thought up by Chuck Jordon during the short time he had worked for BMW. Bill

A12pilot 02-28-2024 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 1645053)
Nice! I get first dibs when you sell it in June!!!

OK, now THAT’S funny. Am I that predictable?:hmmm::biggthumpup::smile:

These are fun little cars and yeah Tim, they have started to go nuts. The paint on this one, while it looks good, it really isn’t. So what’s a SuperDave to do? I think we all know the answer to that….:cool2:goggles

Cheers
Dave

A12pilot 02-28-2024 12:21 AM

8 Attachment(s)
When I got the car, it had already had a bunch of work done and that included some lowering springs and such. Stance is good, but those 14" weaves had to go.

My vision for the look I wanted was the 333i. BMW made these for the South African market and they had Alpina and MTech attributes. I also wanted to update the exterior yet wanted to keep the "diving board" US bumpers. So step one, all new brakes all around followed by replica Alpina 16" wheels. I think this is how it's supposed to look!

Attachment 256939

Attachment 256940

Attachment 256941

Attachment 256942

Wanting a more aero look, I added an MTech and Alpina style skirts along with an MTech style rear spoiler. So of course, I had to now redo the paint.

I wasn't about to break the car down (this is an 87 BMW.... not a Ferrari/ Hemi/ COPO) so some strategic masking was in order. I added flex agents where needed, but I wanted the bumpers monotone with the paint. Today I just shot the DBC followed by DCU2021. Perfect? Nah. But way better than it was. A couple small sags, one or two bugs, but those will be fixed with the wetsanding.

Later next week I'll mask off and paint the trim black then reinstall the new emblems, grille, and fog lights. I might add Alpina stripes to it, or an MTech stripe. Not sure just yet.

More to come!

Cheers
Dave

67since67 02-28-2024 04:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Memory lane here....

This charming '87 325i was my late wife's summer driver. Solid, fun car, but WOT best described as "gaining momentum".

Dave, your suspension and wheel mods only make this one better! :cool2:

dykstra 02-28-2024 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67since67 (Post 1645097)
Memory lane here....

This charming '87 325i was my late wife's summer driver. Solid, fun car, but WOT best described as "gaining momentum".

Dave, your suspension and wheel mods only make this one better! :cool2:

Love the license plate Bill!!:headbang:

A12pilot 02-28-2024 11:38 AM

Oh, wow! Very cool Bill. Good description and glad it was a pleasant memory! Common thing is to swap in a later big six, but we’ll see if I decide to go down that road. Right now, it runs great just the way it is!:biggthumpup: Plus, I’m joining the BMW Classic Car Club on a tour this fall and going in this, so it needs to be road worthy by then:scholar:

Cheers
Dave

Keith Seymore 02-28-2024 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Block Bill (Post 1645060)
I think the BMW term: "the ultimate driving machine" was thought up by Chuck Jordon during the short time he had worked for BMW. Bill

That was actually a Pontiac slogan well before then.

K

69Z11Pacer396 02-28-2024 01:05 PM

Low mileage one here in $40k range with a few hours left..: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2024-02-28

markinnaples 02-29-2024 05:31 PM

I love your E30 Dave. I have had an '85 325es 4 door in Cinnabar Red and black with the awesome dash computer that gave you all of the pertinent information that you needed. So far ahead of its time in my opinion. I also had an '89 325 that was maroon and black. I loved the tucked bumpers on the '89 more than the diving boards on the earlier ones. I've seen guys take the earlier bumpers and "deflate" them to fit them closer to the body, but not much give if you get into an accident.

Your paint looks great as well. Love that you fixed the kidneys in the grill so that they're back to being silver/polished as they got a little lost in black.

They're like 350 Chevy's that never stop running.

A12pilot 03-18-2024 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. Latest update with the blacked out trim, Alpina inspired details, and a few new exterior emblems and such. :biggthumpup:

Attachment 258006

Attachment 258007

These things are a lot of fun. Easy to work on. Although some aftermarket parts are junk just like the rest of the aftermarket world in relation to our other cars. Only thing I’m fighting right now is a noon-fitting sunroof seal. It’s so tight it won’t let the sunroof move. I removed it, and the roof works perfectly. The aftermarket one is way too tight so I’ll have to come up with an alternate solution. It’s mainly a dust shield. Inside of the sunroof is nice and clean with no rust.

Cheers
Dave