The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Yenko Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Our 69 Yenko Chevelle restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152152)

Postsedan 01-01-2019 03:00 PM

That there is what it`s all about!

Rick - Gets It!

Happy New Year!

Dan

SS427 01-01-2019 03:07 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Because we are trying to use as much as possible of the original parts for this car or at least original 69 parts and not reproduction I took some original 69 front running lights and spent many an hour restoring them correctly instead of repops which are close but not close enough. They required a fair bit of effort but I think it paid off. Fortunately I was able to Simple Green the gaskets and reuse them as the repops are again not even close. Through research and help from Phil I determined that the Yenko/COPOs would have the stainless trim around the lens so I located a pair and polished them. The lenses were then restored after many hours of hand buffing and repainted exactly as the originals including the overspray.

Postsedan 01-01-2019 03:24 PM

A good pair of front running lights are getting harder to find....the attaching screws are usually always rusted and broken off, needing drilling and tapping.

Very nice :)

Dan

R68GTO 01-01-2019 09:21 PM

Your transformation and attention to detail is inspiring! What did you do to get those galvanized (or zinc plated) brackets to look like new?

Woj 01-02-2019 02:22 AM

Nice job on the turn signals Rick.... and everything else for that matter. What great progress you are making on the car. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Keep up the great work!!

SS427 01-02-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R68GTO (Post 1428994)
What did you do to get those galvanized (or zinc plated) brackets to look like new?

Not sure which brackets you are referring to but if it is the front marker lights they were simply glass bead blasted, bodyworked, swedged nut reattaced, primed and painted. These are plain steel and not galvanized or plated originally.

SS427 01-02-2019 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been slowly working on the interior parts for the car and a nice surprise showed up today from Scott (Spooky). Perfect timing! He sent me these two lock knobs for the Chevelle which will be a very nice asset to the interior. Thank you Scott for your generosity and kindness. Much appreciated!

SS427 01-02-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woj (Post 1429040)
Nice job on the turn signals Rick.... and everything else for that matter. What great progress you are making on the car. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Keep up the great work!!

Phil, I think it goes without saying that I would not be where I am at today with this car if not for your generosity and open communication. Ditto to Mike and Grady. You have all answered every question, sent many photos and several needed parts which I MUCH appreciate. You guys are the best!

SS427 01-02-2019 02:56 PM

Christmas just keeps on coming! I just opened a box from Earl H. (MNYenko), He too wanted to play a part in the car's restoration and sent me an original NOS air cleaner flame arrestor, fuel tank cap, radio tune knobs and NOS headlight bucket. You guys are unreal and Annie and I are deeply indebted.

mockingbird812 01-02-2019 02:59 PM

Nicely played Earl!!!!