The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   My not so Little 69 Project. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139177)

NorCam 09-16-2016 02:36 AM

My not so Little 69 Project.

Finally it's time to get serious and finish up a restoration project I bought and started back in 2015. This car is a low mile Z/28 converted from being a street car to a Super Stock car in the early 70's by the original owner Kym Miller. It had 22,000 miles at that time and never saw the street or weather elements again. After being owned by a handful of Canadian racers over the course of 45 years, I bought the car in 2015. I then stripped the car back in the fall of 2015 and then sent it out for body and paint which was completed back in the spring of 2016.

Since getting it back on all 4 as a roller, I'have done very little other than collect and restore parts while pushing it around from bay to bay and pondering different ideas of how to finish and restore the car. Now that I have finished playing with a couple other projects, I have cleared my plate where I can now dedicate time to this cars completion. With the body retaining it's original panels, it's been restored and painted in its original 79 Rally Green with white stripes. Early 2019 will now see the project coming full swing to its ultimate completion.

I have all of the parts to complete the car with most of its parts now restored and ready to install. A warranty coded CE302 was built last year and was completely balanced and blueprinted. A freshly restored M21 and 12 Bolt were also redone and the car will now go back together to stock original Z/28 trim.

My apologies on the picture hosting. I moved a batch of photo's around in my folders which killed a lot of the pictures from the first few pages of this thread. I will try and fix those at a future date. The pages deeper into this thread still retain all the correct links to photos.

ScottG 09-16-2016 02:40 AM

Re: My not so Little 69 Project.

NICE !!

NorCam 09-16-2016 02:42 AM

The rims on the car are date matched April 18 YH Rally wheels with Wide Ovals. They include correct NOS caps with restored 4 clip beauty rings. Soon the car will be wearing it's Endura bumper, all of the correct Z/28 drive line will be installed, and its further receiving a nice survivor base 711 interior I have put together over the past year or two.

Dave Rifkin 09-16-2016 11:59 AM

Wow that paint is gorgeous! Looks like, at some point in it's racing career, the owner pulled the 302 and replaced it with the 350-255 small block. Photos also show it taking on some heavy hitters; 1968 Hemi Dart and what appears to be a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda. Can't wait to see the progress pictures.

PeteLeathersac 09-16-2016 12:06 PM

My not so Little 69 Project.

'

W[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img]W!!!
~ Pete

NorCam 09-16-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted By: Dave Rifkin - Wow that paint is gorgeous! Looks like, at some point in it's racing career, the owner pulled the 302 and replaced it with the 350-255 small block. Photos also show it taking on some heavy hitters; 1968 Hemi Dart and what appears to be a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda. Can't wait to see the progress pictures.
Thanks for that.

Kym pulled the 302 after it's first full season on the track and replaced it with the 350. It was campaigned heavily in the Pacific Northwest and ran up against some well known cars including Tuff-n-uff (Hemi Cuda), Buck McKinney's "Special" (LS6 Convertible), Suddenly (68 Camaro), Mad Trapper (Hemi Cuda), Cam Noseworthy's Hemi Dart and many other well known race cars from the west. He won a championship with the car in 1978 and it went on to race S/S with that paint scheme until the mid 80's when it then became a local bracket car. It hasn't seen the road since 71 but will be reunited with two lane blacktop in the year ahead.

markinnaples 09-16-2016 01:52 PM

Great car, great pictures, and a great history. Congrats.

NorCam 12-19-2016 02:40 PM

Updating the thread to note some parts that I've collected and restored over the past couple years. Just part of the larger stash that have been sitting and waiting for installations.

earntaz 12-19-2016 03:02 PM

Rotate the carb 180* -- I can assure you it will work better ... LoL I know what you're thinking -- another smart a$$! The pieces you have so far look excellent! TAZ

NorCam 12-19-2016 04:04 PM

lmao...was so busy moving things around this morning that I didn't notice the intake was backwards when I threw the carb on for a quick shot.

I fixed that image in the post above.

NorCam 03-03-2019 07:36 PM

Hard to believe it's been a couple years since I last updated this thread, but that's what happens when I put other cars and other priorities in the way. In any case, I am finally back onto the 69 Camaro and it's assembly with plans to having it running and driving for it's birthday which is a mere 2 months away. I've just started to pull out all the parts I have stashed around here and organize the shop with everything I need for the car. With the Nova now finished and shuffled aside, the Camaro assembly will start this week. As parts and assembly progresses, I'll also run the 302 on the stand one more time before it's installed with the transmission in a few short weeks. A large task, but one I'm finally ready to devote the time to while getting it done. Here's a few more of the dated parts I've been going about finding over the past couple years. Each date is perfectly matched to the cars 05A build code and May 9th shipping date.

NorCam 03-03-2019 07:42 PM

Got the two most important parts to help the car get up and boogie! Freshly done and ready for fluids real soon...

DW31S 03-03-2019 08:07 PM

Gonna follow this build, too!

luv2sixty9 03-03-2019 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad to see that you decided to keep and finish the car.
It looks amazing and I love Rally Green for I basically own the same car (twin).
Here is a picture of mine, the older brother 03D build. No spoiler and flat hood

454_Malibu 03-04-2019 01:42 AM

SIR/Pacific Race Ways, Been there many times,,, Maybe I Saw this car back in the Day, Nice vintage Pics,,

RichSchmidt 03-04-2019 04:24 PM

Awesome build. How much work did the underside need to bring it back to stock? I noticed the 350-255 label and wondered if the cowl hood was available with that engine or if NHRA even cared about that.

NorCam 03-04-2019 05:25 PM

Guys in his class quickly learned that they picked up a 10th by adding the cowl hood. NHRA allowed the hood but quickly enforced that it had to be functional if added to a car. This ones been on the car since about 73 and will stay on now. As for the floors, they were spotless and clean, but were replaced with a new 2-piece kit due to the cage being installed with ladder bars and frame connectors tied in. Tough decision but painstaking work was performed to ensure the new floor looked and fit like factory. All spot welds along the rockers were replicated to factory style. Inner/outer wheels houses were also done at the same time while all top side metal stayed intact. It was a clean car and a great candidate to retire with some provenance and restore back to stock.

NorCam 03-05-2019 11:12 PM

Cleaned the shop the last couple days to rid it of anything that's not going onto this Camaro. Engine is back on the stand for another run session and all parts are now laid out for the assembly to start in the next couple days. Going to be spending a lot of time in the shop to have this one finished up for it's birthday.

NorCam 03-24-2019 09:27 PM

Since getting the Nova running and putting it aside, I am now focused on the 69 and its assembly. Took it back to the painter for a couple small issues that needed addressing before putting the glass in and now that it's back I'm making good progress. Fuel lines are run, tank is mounted, 4-leaf springs are installed and stock lower mounting plate are installed with spiral shocks mounted. On the top side, I cleaned up all the regulators and door hardware and got it all installed last week complete with tinted glass. I then got most of the exterior trim back onto the car and today I'm going to finish the rear brakes and start hanging the e-brake cables under the car. Won't be long before I work my way up to the front of the car and start under the hood. Stay tuned in the weeks ahead as the car inches towards it's birthday in May.

Plans are to have it running for then! :3gears:

https://i.ibb.co/Q8H7YP9/IMG-3376.jpg
Dropped off for some minor paint work last week.

Ryan1969Chevelle 03-25-2019 12:08 AM

Have you got a Pistol Grip for this bad boy?

Love it!!

Ryan W31

rlw68 03-25-2019 12:45 AM

The mounting plate appears to be the LH one installed on the RH side? The notch for the parking brake cable hanger should face the front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1440900)
https://i.ibb.co/L0dvNyL/IMG-3441.jpg
Rear leaf springs with stock mounting plates and spiral shocks installed.

NorCam 03-25-2019 01:57 AM

Good eye Rob. I didn't notice they were backwards until I did the brakes earlier tonight and went to go put the brackets on. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow. :hmmm:

NorCam 03-25-2019 04:42 AM

Couldn't leave those plates until tomorrow as I already have a full plan for the day, so I went back out to the shop and reversed them tonight. Also need to order some new drums which will finish off the brakes before I start plumbing hard lines through the front. Getting there (even with the odd two step) :)

And sorry Ryan. This one will be more or less stock...so no Pistola :scholar:

https://i.ibb.co/nMYG3sz/IMG-3457.jpg

rlw68 03-25-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1440924)
Good eye Rob. I didn't notice they were backwards until I did the brakes earlier tonight and went to go put the brackets on. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow. :hmmm:

I've just looked at mine for way too many hours, going thru all the same but on a creeper. I really like your lift!

On the axle I used t-bolts on the inner and u-bolts on the outer, without washers. My 69 is an 02D build. Do you know which is correct?

NorCam 03-25-2019 02:13 PM

I've seen them staggered the way you mentioned, and I've seen them using both u-bolts on the inner and outer. I'm sure there is a factory correct method and would think it is as you mentioned, but I am OK with using 2 sets of full u-bolts. My thinking is perhaps it's stronger?

Lift is an inexpensive 4 post model, but saves me from crawling around under cars. It's awkward for doing things like dropping suspension and diff swaps but it has a H/D sliding steel jack tray that helps support the car when hanging suspension or doing brakes. It works but one of these days I'll bend to get a nice 2 post lift as well.

DW31S 03-25-2019 02:41 PM

Looks great Graeme!!! Glass fit is likely better than original!!!

Locker537 03-25-2019 03:51 PM

Graeme, on the topic of lifts, it doesn't appear your 4 post is bolted down. I know it's not necessary, but do you have any concerns with it being able to move? The horizontal supports likely negate any real risk?

Do you store cars on it in the lifted position?

I have a "Kwik-Lift" at home, and I've never really figured out the right combination of bottle jack and stands to use the sliding steel tray. It doesn't line up with the jack points or subframe connectors on my Formula.

NorCam 03-25-2019 06:10 PM

I've had it bolted before and that was great in my old shop, but in the current home shop I like being able to move it around from time to time and it's been inside, outside and back and forth between shops. I don't do much serious work while it's up high and always keep the locks set right with a little tension on the cables which keeps it steady. My floors are also quite level and the pads have never moved. Even still I am very careful and always walk around the lift to ensure all is sound and locks are on before ever venturing under a car while also ensuring the cables are taught. Safety is always of concern around my place and even when using jack stands, there is always redundancy in place.

If I was really going to be reefing or swaying the lift, I'd again add a couple Hilti anchors at each corner. I am told that they use dozens these lifts on the grass at Carlisle and change exhaust on Corvettes. I was further told that as long as there's weight on the cables, they are quite stable. I use this one for work only and don't store cars on it at height too often, but have at times used it for storage.

In terms of the 1/4" steel jack tray, I sometimes use a center point motorcycle jack that I bought for the tray, and when I need to support outer axle points or spring locations, I have a 1/4 steel plate that sits atop the jack tray to give me a stable base to use a bottle jack from...or to place jack stands. You have to be creative to use a 4 post for working on cars as it would seem. That's why I plan to add a two post lift in the next bay over.

A guy can never have too many lifts I am told. :beers:

NorCam 03-26-2019 01:21 AM

Thanks David :beers:

Glass really did fit well, but it should of since this car still has it original body panels intact. Most problems start when quarters, roofs and tulip panels have been repaired and the car isn't as square as it may have once been.

Got a lot more accomplished today and we're boogieing right along now. Leaving a few character parts in place and trying not to over cartoon the car with ink stamps and chalk everywhere. I see so many restored cars now days that are just plastered with stamps, decals and chalk marks everywhere and to me it just looks wrong! Only a few decals and a couple markings is all this car will be seeing. Brake lines are in and tomorrow we'll hit the front lighting, grill and then the wiring harnesses will go in. We'll probably spend a good week doing the engine bay and getting the brakes bled before we start thinking about the drive line. I will get it fired on the run stand again next week before we're ready to install it. From there we will focus on the interior and making it look like a super clean 22,000 mile survivor inside. Just wish I had a mint used carpet to match everything else I have put together.

More in a week or two.

https://i.ibb.co/4TxSLRG/IMG-3463.jpg
Finished the brakes today and installed some new drums to help it stop.

https://i.ibb.co/syDhyCF/IMG-3464.jpg
Ran the remaining brake lines today and almost ready for the master.

https://i.ibb.co/tKW0VYv/IMG-3465.jpg
Added a couple decals to the front shocks and springs. (not going to go too crazy with all the markings)

https://i.ibb.co/pPNNkrT/IMG-3466.jpg
Added new e-brake cables throughout the car today.

https://i.ibb.co/9rbDh8V/IMG-E3470.jpg
There were a few nicks and character marks in the rear hold off, and I'm going to leave it that way.

ZLP955 03-26-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw68 (Post 1440945)
On the axle I used t-bolts on the inner and u-bolts on the outer, without washers. My 69 is an 02D build. Do you know which is correct?

A pair of T-bolts (inboard) and one U-bolt (outboard) per side is how the factory did it on a multi-leaf rear, but it's common to see the T-bolts swapped for a second U-bolt to reduce the tendency for spring perch welds to crack.

ZLP955 03-26-2019 07:14 AM

Nice progress. Just wondered if you replaced the fenders, or did a previous owner fill the emblem holes?

NorCam 03-26-2019 12:45 PM

Still has the original fenders on it and neither have been replaced. Both had green paint under the silver but early pics of the car show the Camaro script emblems were taken off when it was painted in its race scheme back in 1973. Often done for placement of contingency decals. Emblems and holes were on it when I got the car but when we stripped the fenders there was a skim of filler around the holes so they must have been drilled out when the car was changed to silver (4th owner) in 1990.

One script emblem measures a touch low but nothing I was concerned over since the car has a history as a race car.

https://i.ibb.co/ZY1VXYm/IMG-3472.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/cYR8svD/IMG-3473.jpg

Locker537 03-26-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1440997)
I've had it bolted before and that was great in my old shop, but in the current home shop I like being able to move it around from time to time and it's been inside, outside and back and forth between shops. I don't do much serious work while it's up high and always keep the locks set right with a little tension on the cables which keeps it steady. My floors are also quite level and the pads have never moved. Even still I am very careful and always walk around the lift to ensure all is sound and locks are on before ever venturing under a car while also ensuring the cables are taught. Safety is always of concern around my place and even when using jack stands, there is always redundancy in place.

If I was really going to be reefing or swaying the lift, I'd again add a couple Hilti anchors at each corner. I am told that they use dozens these lifts on the grass at Carlisle and change exhaust on Corvettes. I was further told that as long as there's weight on the cables, they are quite stable. I use this one for work only and don't store cars on it at height too often, but have at times used it for storage.

In terms of the 1/4" steel jack tray, I sometimes use a center point motorcycle jack that I bought for the tray, and when I need to support outer axle points or spring locations, I have a 1/4 steel plate that sits atop the jack tray to give me a stable base to use a bottle jack from...or to place jack stands. You have to be creative to use a 4 post for working on cars as it would seem. That's why I plan to add a two post lift in the next bay over.

A guy can never have too many lifts I am told. :beers:

Thanks Graeme! The motorcycle jack or one of those cross beam adapter accessories is an interesting idea!

NorCam 03-26-2019 11:18 PM

Was supposed to go into the office today but I'm having way too much fun working on this car now so I played hooky again! Early this morning I disassembled the front park lights, removed the wiring and socket and detailed the frames before putting them all back together. I then stripped the front headlamp buckets and painted everything in black trim paint. Once the park lights and frames were installed, we set the grill and made sure the emblem was in the correct spot. Gotta polish the trim rings for the lights and clean up the front bezels for them. They'll go on later and the VE3 bumper will wait until we finish installing the motor.

Gotta run to the office for a few hours tonight but tomorrow we are planning to install the wiper motor, wiper trans, wipers and button up the top cowl panel. From there we are onto the cowl induction parts for the hood and the pedal on the firewall. Next up will be the front lighting harness, engine harness, cowl harness and the battery tray. Last thing under the hood will be the booster and master and then I can set the column and the heater core in place and button those up. That should keep me busy for a few more days...

Bring on the interior...(lol) :worship:

https://i.ibb.co/7V7MCGS/Apart-Blasted.jpg
Media blasted and ready for final detailing and white paint inside.

https://i.ibb.co/cxZ9DKD/Fronts-sprayed-white.jpg
Original pigtails reinstalled and ready for installation now.

https://i.ibb.co/LzdMdLb/IMG-3493.jpg
Park lights cleaned up and installed in the lower valance.

https://i.ibb.co/37jrH1w/IMG-3490.jpg
Grill is in and we're almost ready for headlamps and bezels.

WILMASBOYL78 03-27-2019 12:31 PM

69 Camaro

Nice work !

Salvatore 03-27-2019 07:08 PM

Real nice work Graeme!

firstgenaddict 03-29-2019 04:42 PM

Beautiful... I love Rally Green with White stripes!

NorCam 04-05-2019 03:31 AM

Little more progress this week. Finished plumbing all the brakes and got the booster and master installed yesterday but was missing the coupler bracket that holds the soft connection above the diff and had to order one. I'll bleed the lines after that arrives next week. In the meantime we've been busy restoring the dash housing and gauges. Installed an NOS clock, mounted the cluster today and got all the wiring connected with new bulbs in place. Cowl ducts are rebuilt with new flaps and heating ducts are all installed and detailed. Column is now complete, heater controls are done and pedals are also setup now. Carpet and radio will be finished up tomorrow and then it's time to finish up the heater core before installing the dash pad and moving onto the door panels. It's coming together nicely

ZLP955 04-05-2019 04:01 AM

Coming along nicely

rlw68 04-05-2019 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1442480)
... Cowl Induction Wiring. Have one more speedo clip in the tunnel to finish

Are you using the AAW 'factory fit' harnesses? It appears the wiper motor wire doesn't have a spare mm between the two connections. Mine's exactly the same.