The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   69 COPO Camaro in Car Craft (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=129730)

mrays 11-06-2014 10:31 PM

69 COPO Camaro in Car Craft

This Camaro is pictured as an award winner at the Car Craft Summer Nationals. I'm guessing it's N661047, which is a Daytona Yellow M21 car sold at Dale Chevrolet in Waukesha WI, since that is the only non export Daytona Yellow with yellow hounds tooth interior COPO I know of. Can anyone on here verify that? I'm assuming it's the real deal and not a clone.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...ro_copo_dy.jpg

Stefano 11-06-2014 11:12 PM

Re: 69 COPO Camaro in Car Craft

There are two Yellow Yellow 9561 Copo Camaros I know of. One is from Dale Chevrolet and was recently still in the Midwest,and seems to be the car pictured and the other was a magazine feature car and resides in Southern California.

The Dale "Duster" COPO had Black stripes painted on at the dealership.

William 11-07-2014 12:31 AM

Yup, sold new by Dale to a guy in Iowa. Sister car was an orange/orange automatic COPO; worked in Waukesha with the original owner. He told me about it because at the time I had an orange/orange Z/28, also sold new at Dale. Orange COPO is not known to exist.

ZAPPER68 11-07-2014 01:05 AM

Interesting...one of the exported yellow COPO's (with a yellow hounds tooth interior) was owned by my neighbour back in the Day.

We lived in a small prairie town in Canada that was a hot bed for high performance cars. My neighbours name is Rod Leeson and a few years ago he sent me a picture of his restored car at the 'World of Wheels' show in Calgary. He doesn't own it now and hasn't for years....

Rod was the second owner of the car...the car's first owner was a kid that had just graduated from high school and his Grandmother bought him the car as a grad present. Rod told me the kid didn't keep the car too long as it scared him and Rod bought the car off of a dealers lot shortly there after.

Rod is still around and his brother Norris lives close by me today...Their mother is still alive and she is close to 100 now.

The picture of Rod with the car is in my computer at work, I'll dig it out if anyone is interested. One more detail now that I think of it, Rod's COPO had aluminum heads on it!

Born30YrsLate 11-07-2014 01:17 AM

Always loved the yellow/yellow combo...but have gotten a soft spot for the black/yellow combo [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

ss427copo 11-07-2014 01:37 AM

That's what I said 30 years when I bought BWAG's CAMARO out of Ohio. &quot;It has to be Daytona Yellow&quot;.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...1304webbed.jpg

Carleen 11-07-2014 02:02 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZAPPER68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting...one of the exported yellow COPO's (with a yellow hounds tooth interior) was owned by my neighbour back in the Day.

We lived in a small prairie town in Canada that was a hot bed for high performance cars. My neighbours name is Rod Leeson and a few years ago he sent me a picture of his restored car at the 'World of Wheels' show in Calgary. He doesn't own it now and hasn't for years....

Rod was the second owner of the car...the car's first owner was a kid that had just graduated from high school and his Grandmother bought him the car as a grad present. Rod told me the kid didn't keep the car too long as it scared him and Rod bought the car off of a dealers lot shortly there after.

Rod is still around and his brother Norris lives close by me today...Their mother is still alive and she is close to 100 now.

The picture of Rod with the car is in my computer at work, I'll dig it out if anyone is interested. One more detail now that I think of it, Rod's COPO had aluminum heads on it! </div></div>

Yes we want to see pictures

bergy 11-07-2014 09:40 AM

One more detail now that I think of it, Rod's COPO had aluminum heads on it! [/quote]

Interesting - I have notes on a couple of 9561 cars that supposedly came from the factory with aluminum heads, but have never seen documentation. Does anyone have information on this subject? Probably dealer installed?

mrays 11-07-2014 12:55 PM

I believe the Canadian export Daytona Yellow with yellow hounds tooth interior COPO which was featured in Muscle Car Review a year or so ago was sold new at Ted Brooks Chevrolet Oldsmobile in Calgary Alberta. This car is scheduled to be at MCACN this year. Wouldn't the GM of Canada paperwork show the Aluminum heads if they were installed by the factory?

Kurt S 11-07-2014 01:24 PM

Al heads on a COPO? I don't think it happened. No docs, no engine codes, no cars, etc.

Born30YrsLate 11-07-2014 03:03 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ss427copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I said 30 years when I bought BWAG's CAMARO out of Ohio. &quot;It has to be Daytona Yellow&quot;.
</div></div>

That too...but what I was really thinking is the other way around...black paint with yellow interior [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

ZAPPER68 11-07-2014 04:03 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bergy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One more detail now that I think of it, Rod's COPO had aluminum heads on it! </div></div>

Interesting - I have notes on a couple of 9561 cars that supposedly came from the factory with aluminum heads, but have never seen documentation. Does anyone have information on this subject? Probably dealer installed? [/quote]

I suppose the heads could/would have been dealer installed...all I know is it had aluminum heads on it and Rod used to kick the a$$ of a 69 428 CJ Mustang that I eventually owned. I'm working tomorrow and I'll see if I can find the pictures Rod sent me a few years ago.

454supersport70 11-07-2014 10:45 PM

I know this car and the owner and its no clone, its the real deal, owner bought it back in the day from the original owner and was in what I call survivor condition until 2009 when the owner decided to restore it(car was still really nice before restoration). Have any questions about it let me know will contact owner if I don't know.

SS427 11-08-2014 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the photo that Cal (zapper68) is speaking of.

mrays 11-08-2014 01:52 PM

Does this Camaro still have it's original drivetrain? See if the owner will post some pictures of it on here. It's a pretty unique COPO with that color combination.

ZAPPER68 11-08-2014 04:26 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does this Camaro still have it's original drivetrain? See if the owner will post some pictures of it on here. It's a pretty unique COPO with that color combination. </div></div>

Rick, Thanks for posting the picture of Rod and his old COPO for me.

I sent Rod an email this morning asking him for more information about his COPO. The last time I spoke to Rod about his old Camaro he said the engine in it was the original?

Apparently, at one time or another the engine had been removed and was in ski boat on Okanagan lake in Kelowna BC. It was eventually re-united with the car when someone wizened up and figured out the car was a COPO and that it had a unique heritage.

Hopefully, Rod will get back to me with some more info on the car which I will post here.

Stefano 11-08-2014 10:09 PM

Yellow Yellow RS COPO in California

ZAPPER68 11-14-2014 05:06 AM

&quot;Hopefully, Rod will get back to me with some more info on the car which I will post here.&quot;

As mentioned in my previous post on the 8th, I sent an email to Rod requesting more info about his old COPO Camaro.

To date, I haven't heard anything back from him, which is unusual. I also contacted '454supersport70' without success either.

None the less, I'll keep trying and will post any update(s) ASAP.

454supersport70 12-15-2014 04:40 AM

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...19633-copo.jpg
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...9634-copo1.jpg
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...9635-copo2.jpg

Car is well documented and still has the original drivetrain and components all which were gone through during restoration, just to be clear this is for the original car posted from car craft have more documents proving the car is real don't have any photos of it right now, car did come with dealer installed z28 stripes and dealer installed radio, stripes are gone because of concourse showing the radio I cant remember.

carnut4life 06-19-2019 01:24 AM

I was in Mason City IA today for work and just found out the long time owner of this car, Ray Wood has passed away. I first met Ray in 2015 after we found the orange/orange Dale Chevrolet COPO Camaro. He welcomed me into his home and shared many stories, pictures and documents about his car and Dale Chevrolet with me out of the blue when I knocked on his door. While I didn't know Ray for very long, I was shocked to hear of his passing and wanted to reach out to let others know and tell him thanks again for all the good memories. RIP, Ray, I will miss you.

southernfriedcj 06-23-2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZAPPER68 (Post 1240041)
the car's first owner was a kid that had just graduated from high school and his Grandmother bought him the car as a grad present.

That has got to be the world's best grandma!

rszmjt 06-23-2019 05:45 AM

There seems to be some confusion regarding the yellow COPO in this post, they are 2 different cars, the RS COPO in the Car Craft article which at that time was owned by Len Perham of Ca is a Canadian Delivered COPO , it was originally delivered to the GM zone office in Saskatchewan /Canada , then went to Ted Brooks Chevrolet in Calgary/Alberta. Despite what the article says it was not restored in Detroit, I did a lot of the restoration in Calgary, Alberta in the late 90,s, for a local car collector who actually sold it to Jim @ Heartbeat, who I think sold it to Len, it has since been bought back by that Calgary owner and still resides in his local collection today. The picture of it in the car show was from Calgary World of Wheels, and another friend built the display which is still with the car today . This car is 650313. The 140 mph speedo was a NOS speedo and did not come in the car originally. This RS COPO came originally with small hubcaps and steel wheels which are back on the car today. I hope this clarifies this post.

61 vert 06-23-2019 11:33 PM

Was Ray Wood the fireman from Mason City that had the original car in this post restored? Met him several times at Des Moines Goodguys and a couple other shows. Super nice guy.

carnut4life 06-24-2019 12:46 AM

Yes, Ray had recently retired as a fireman when I first met him back in 2015 and was indeed a super nice guy. If remeber correctly, he bought the car for $2000 back in 1972 so he had the pleasure of owning the car for 47 years.

I read this entire thread again today after the post about the yellow/yellow Canadian COPO came up and norticed an earlier post stating this car has it's origianl drivetrain which I beleive is only partially true since it has a CE block in it. The original owner blew a headgasket when the car had 5 or 6k on it and instead or repairing the original engine a CE replacement block was installed under warranty. Some might argue that it still has its original drivetrain since the block was replaced under warranty but I'm not an authority on anything so I'm staying out of that debate. Ray had paperwork documenting the CE block or it was written in the owners manual, I can't remember for sure. The amount of paperwork he had for the car amazing, no window stcker but he did have the original car shipper for it. I'm in no way trying to knock the car or Ray's memory but wanted to make sure the correct information about the car is known since it will eventually have a new owner or be discussed at a later date.

While I know this car particularly well, I never had the privledge of riding in it. After the restoration, Ray kept it in one of those clear, positive pressure tents to keep it from getting dusty and every time I was there the weather wasn't nice enough for him to get it out and take me for a spin. Thanks again for everything Ray, you were a great caretaker for this car!

rszmjt 06-24-2019 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZAPPER68 (Post 1240041)
Interesting...one of the exported yellow COPO's (with a yellow hounds tooth interior) was owned by my neighbour back in the Day.

The picture of Rod with the car is in my computer at work, I'll dig it out if anyone is interested. One more detail now that I think of it, Rod's COPO had aluminum heads on it!

The Canadian delivered RS COPO never came with aluminum heads as far I know, I saw the car in 1973 the first time, it sat on “Lionel Cres in Lakeview district/Calgary AB , I tried to buy it at that time but it had a hefty lien still registered against it so I passed. At that time it had cast iron heads. Next time I saw it was Jan/1975, it was in A-1 Auto body in Calgary , just off Macleod Trail, it was having some repair work done on the 1/4”s, at that time both head rests were missing and it had Cowl induction emblems on the hood.

As far as the drivetrain I know the block is probably not the original, trans and diff assembly are for sure the original parts to the car. This car was in Okotoks Alberta for many years, till Steve Eisenberg (Super sports Classic in Calgary ) bought it , and collected many NOS parts for it before selling it to a local Corvette collector who had Specialty Restoration in Dewinton Ab do the paint & body. I built the motor/trans/diff/suspension and installed all into the painted rolling chassis about 1999/2000, as well as Headlight assembly’s/wiring/brakes/exhaust etc and misc interiors parts etc, I finished it at 4.30 am the morning of World of Wheels car show in Calgary, where it won everything at that time for awards.

The original motor never went into a ski boat, that was a rumor made up by local individuals.
The motor/heads out of the car still are in Okotoks and it is not the original block, I’ve checked it while on the hunt for the original block.

firstgenaddict 06-27-2019 03:20 PM

It shows Z28 stripes on the invoice... and order sheet...
Was the car delivered with z28 stripes?

As far as the AL heads... the car I found at Cars and Coffee -King Chev Lemans blue copo with style trim and rear antenna... On this board there was a King chev newspaper ad which listed the same specs on a car and listed it as 427 with aluminum heads prior to it's delivery.

Someone I believe stated that the COPO's maybe were going to be equipped with AL heads.

PeteLeathersac 06-27-2019 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'

...On this board there was a King chev newspaper ad which listed the same specs on a car and listed it as 427 with aluminum heads prior to it's delivery...

Here's the Light-Headed King Chevrolet ad...
:beers:
~ Pete

William 06-27-2019 03:39 PM

From the ad:

"These cars due in soon."

They may have thought it was part of the package but it wasn't. Now there is a thread speculating that a COPO Chevelles had aluminum heads.

What Kurt said on this thread years ago still holds true:

Al heads on a COPO? I don't think it happened. No docs, no engine codes, no cars, etc.

No need to continue repeating this 'aluminum head' yarn.

PeteLeathersac 06-27-2019 03:56 PM

'

No Suffix Codes for Alloy Head L72's is enough to confirm none were factory built/shipped.
How's the known LB 9561 King Chevy car build date match up w/ the possibility of being the one in the 12/68 ad?:hmmm:

~ Pete

William 06-27-2019 05:02 PM

There is a rough correlation between the body number and the order acceptance date. Not to be confused with the date on the dealer order paperwork because it wasn’t a firm order until Central Office confirmed it. N648989/NOR297175 was confirmed about March 24, 1969 and final assembled on or about May 27, 1969. Not likely it is the same car.

What is more interesting is that they knew about the COPO that early. No COPOs had been built yet and there was reason to believe that Gibb and Yenko had exclusive rights to them as there were administrative charges involved. Must have had a ‘hook’ at Chevrolet.

PeteLeathersac 06-27-2019 05:10 PM

'

Interesting on the early thing, cool stuff!
Maybe they were thinking it would be like an L88 w/ Alum' heads?
Jiving the known car build w/ ad date also negative result seems familiar like we already did this in another thread?:hmmm:
~ Pete

carnut4life 06-27-2019 05:53 PM

Per the shipping document, the yellow Dale COPO was not delivered with a radio or the Z28 stripes, the were added at the dealership. I believe Dale Chevrolet(and many other dealerships) ordered multiple cars without radios and installed whatever cheap radio the could to make an extra profit since they were charging the same amount for the option Chevrolet did. Ray and I both have the original Motorola radios Dale installed in our cars are they are identical.

The Z28 stripes were installed later on the yellow and orange(automatic) COPO's that were till on the lot in late 69, my orange COPO never had them since it was sold immediately in June of 69. Ray had several pictures of his car back in the day with the Z28 stripes and aluminum slots on it and it looked absolutely amazing, seeing those pics made me want to cry that the car was restored as it was shipped from Chevrolet instead of how it left the lot at Dale. Interestingly enough the stripes on the car were flat black instead of gloss black. I have no idea which wheels came on the car from Dale but can't help but think it would have looked funny with Z28 stripes and XT wheels.

firstgenaddict 06-30-2019 04:30 PM

I certainly never meant to spin any yarns that there were ever L72 COPO's with AL heads.... just that it may have been anticipated or initially indicated.