The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Yenko Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Our 69 Yenko Chevelle restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152152)

61 vert 03-18-2019 11:08 PM

Get one of these. Much easier and precise

1 Attachment(s)
Press-and-Snap made by Hoover.

ScottG 03-19-2019 02:03 PM

Rick, are the fuel line nuts in the bowls supposed to be gold cad plated ? Maybe clear cad too? The photos you have show black ones.

SS427 03-19-2019 02:34 PM

Scott, thanks for looking for the small details as those are things I want to make sure I have correct. However, with regards to these fittings, I have original photos that Chris White had provided me of a literal Day 2 take off carb mounted on an intake and those fittings are plated in black zinc chromate (assuming I am using the correct term). They are a little more washed out in the photos I have but never the less you can see what they were originally. I also have several fittings I removed from cars back in the 70's as well as original carbs in my inventory and all have the black zinc chromate finish. I think the confusion comes from many carb restorers who have restored these over the last 30 years who restored them and replated everything on the carb in yellow (gold) dichromate.

However...….thanks to you bringing it to my attention I see that my float adjustment nut and lock screws are plated opposite of what I see in those same photographs and looking at my original carbs I have that I believe have never been restored I am seeing those plated both ways. Anyone have an answer for those?

Kurt S 03-20-2019 04:27 AM

The valve covers and intake were masked with one continuous plastic mask for engine painting. So I don't believe there should be any overspray in the middle edges of the intake, only on the ends. Sorry, hard to fix. :(

SS427 03-20-2019 02:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Kurt, thanks for your input. I have literally studies this for hundreds of hours over the last 30 plus years and disagree. I have heard the same thing though oddly enough I have never seen a photo of the mask. I have been told they were separate masks, 1 for the intake and two others for the valve covers because some corvette big blocks used aluminum intakes but painted valve covers so they could not use one continuous mask. I have also studied many NCRS manuals and forums on the subject. Arguably this has been an ongoing debate since restorations started.

In addition, in my now 100,000 plus photo database I have many photos of not only original photos from back when the cars were near new but also from survivor engines.

Lastly, I found the original intake for the car in the garage when we pulled the car out. From there you can clearly see the factory overspray. I may have "dusted" mine with a little more paint (indirect spray so it will wear off rather easily) than what the original photos show but the original overspray could have deteriorated after 19,000 miles to that point as well and I assume some of mine will also deteriorate once the engine is run for some time. Bottom line is, it is hard to argue with the photos of my original intake which is why I did what I did.

SS427 03-20-2019 03:55 PM

6 Attachment(s)
A couple more updates from last night. Annie picked up the carpet last night so we came back to the shop and finished installing it. They were able to seam the center piece that runs over the tunnel using the same material the factory did.

I added the manufactures placard back to the carpet. Unfortunately and like a dumba$$ I forgot to photograph which tag went on which piece of carpet so knowing my luck I installed the rear tag on the front carpet.

SS427 03-20-2019 04:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Bruce H for selling me all the NOS front trim for the car and Phil W for supplying me with a template to drill the mounting holes for the small center trim between the headlight buckets.

Even brand new parts can fit like crap so many modifications were made to fit the headlight buckets to the nose completely flat as out of the wrapper they would not lay perfect. After much time and grinding they fit like a glove. Next will be the addition of the grille.

SS427 03-20-2019 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Restored original to the car battery junction block.

Charley Lillard 03-20-2019 04:25 PM

On my 1100 mile 70 Z28 it was apparent the factory had a detail guy brush paint red and silver around that area by hand where needed. The remains on your intake look more like brushed on paint than overspray. Just a thought.

m22mike 03-20-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt S (Post 1440210)
The valve covers and intake were masked with one continuous plastic mask for engine painting. So I don't believe there should be any overspray in the middle edges of the intake, only on the ends. Sorry, hard to fix. :(

Kurt
For along time I also believed what you posted about the one piece mask. But not so sure now after viewing Grady Burch's 69 COPO Chevelle. His engine compartment is un touched and it also shows some very small amounts of Orange on the valve covers as well as the aluminum intake, it's very shuttle much like the photos Rick posted. It could be Tonawanda used more than on style mask ?
JMO Mike