The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   1969 Camaro LeMans Blue Correct Shade (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151058)

DWathen 09-30-2018 07:18 PM

1969 Camaro LeMans Blue Correct Shade

I recently purchased some Lemans Blue PPG (code 71) paint for my 1969 Camaro. The color does not appear to be correct based previous cars we have painted this color. Does anyone have any ideas what company has the best code 71 Lemans Blue paint that we can look into? PPG has changed the formula over the years and the color does not look the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ZLP955 09-30-2018 08:27 PM

Is the recently-bought paint lacquer?

DWathen 09-30-2018 08:46 PM

No lacquer
DBC base coat clear coat

X66 714 09-30-2018 09:26 PM

I've heard Daytona yellow also doesn't match well in PPG. I hope I'm wrong because that's what my painter wants to use.....Joe

jl8z28 10-01-2018 01:50 AM

I had the same problem with my Chevelle

jer 10-01-2018 03:03 AM

I used Sikkens on my '69 and think it matches pretty well. That was 20 years ago. I've had some questionable DBC matches myself but the latest '69 cortez silver was spot on.

x33rs 10-01-2018 03:34 PM

When painting factory OEM 50 year old colors I tend to shy away from PPG these days. As you said the mix formulas have changed over the years, which is true with most brands.

So the last few years I've used BASF products. They still have some of the closest formulas to the old stuff. I primarily use the B/C systems here and they come out spot on, other than a deeper and richer appearance because of the clear, but the color is perfect. I just did a 455HO Formula in Lucerne Blue which is a touchy color to get right (similar to Chevrolet Lemans Blue) and it came out perfectly using the Glamour line of BASF base/clear. I'd post pics but unable to do so. Could share more via email if you wish.

Steve Shauger 10-01-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x33rs (Post 1416568)
When painting factory OEM 50 year old colors I tend to shy away from PPG these days. As you said the mix formulas have changed over the years, which is true with most brands.

So the last few years I've used BASF products. They still have some of the closest formulas to the old stuff. I primarily use the B/C systems here and they come out spot on, other than a deeper and richer appearance because of the clear, but the color is perfect. I just did a 455HO Formula in Lucerne Blue which is a touchy color to get right (similar to Chevrolet Lemans Blue) and it came out perfectly using the Glamour line of BASF base/clear. I'd post pics but unable to do so. Could share more via email if you wish.

Any member can post pics in forums except in classifieds, there you need to be a paid member. Here's the tutorial link:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthre...=86245&page=25

Good luck

firstgenaddict 10-28-2018 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Few of the colors are a direct match out of the can when mixed according to formula...
The scan of an original Lemans wiper panel Blue I had done picked up 2 sizes of metallic flake every time it was scanned whereas, the original formula calls for only a single size metallic flake.

In order to get spot on color matches find someone with patience.
Best thing is to get a half pint mixed EXTREMELY accurately then do a spray out and check the direct color and a 45 degree side shift on the color...
IF it is not correct get your self a GRAM SCALE and then pour off SMALL samples into same sizes...
To the first sample add 2% of desired tint and spray out to check -
IF NOT CORRECT DISCARD SAMPLE...
Alter NEXT SAMPLE with more or less accordingly and spray out. - -
CHECK
REPEAT IF NOT CORRECT
There are metallic pigments which will lighten direct/darken sideshift - lighten direct/side shift same... darken direct/lighten side shift etc etc etc

FOLLOWING PHOTOS FOR EXAMPLE CORTEZ SILVER in CromaBase - required 2.5 grams 806J black tint per 432.8 grams of formula in order to bring it in line with the original. This one was fairly easy, a couple of hours, however the light copper metallic (which has a list of tints so long it took 2 columns) took probably 10 hours total to get the match. The side shift AND COLOR were wrong with the first mix and I had to study the tints in order to determine which one needed to be altered.

X66 714 10-28-2018 03:41 PM

Has anybody used Autocolorlibrary.com for the old colors in new formulas?
They were the only people to match Coolie Blue for my 1931 Chevrolet....Joe