The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Door Panel Massaging?? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164099)

wthirty1 11-15-2020 11:39 PM

Door Panel Massaging??

7 Attachment(s)
Started in on the install of the door panels from Legendary. This is the RH door. I spent hours trying to get the fitment right, but I can’t figure out how to get more space near the kick panel. It just feels too tight. Any pro tips out there for how to shift the panel back about 1/4”?

I also included a few pictures of how I did the bottom holes using rivets and a soldering iron to cauterize the carpet.

Postsedan 11-16-2020 12:47 AM

IMO, Legendary makes the best reproduction door panels.....but there is a learning curve.
The panels are much thicker than that of original GM door panels.
Therefore....if you move the panel closer to the kick panel.....closing the door and adjusting the door glass makes it extremely tight....it can be very frustrating.
Based on your one picture....it does look like you have a little wiggle room to move it a bit. You will have to open the holes for the window crank and door lever a bit larger to move the panel a small bit. If you have any over hang anywhere, there will be problems and you will damage the panel.
You may also encounter a problem with with rear panel fitting too close to the door edge....be careful on the gap between the two panels....as if they rub, they will damage the material very quickly.
You are realizing how much time it takes to make this a perfect install....one needs a lot of patience for any interior install, especially in aligning all the glass....especially when you are trying for perfection....as in, wanting both sides to be exactly the same.

Good luck.

Dan

wthirty1 11-16-2020 01:02 AM

I’ll give it a try. Thanks, Dan. The interior has by far been my least favorite part of the project thus far. I’m going to mess with the two brackets at the top some more and see if that helps any.

Canuck 11-16-2020 05:33 AM

Jimmy
I have found the slots where the clips sit in the cardboard backing need to be loosened up as much as possible to get some play for proper alignment. Patience will prevail.

Rainer 11-16-2020 03:46 PM

From your your first photo, it almost looks like the top edge of your door panel is not square with your outer window fuzzy, i.e. it looks like the top front corner of your panel is not seated down all the way. It could be hung up on the door panel retainer bracket. That would cause the bottom front corner to come up and forward, leaving you with that uneven gap that you have. However, it looks like you have the panel lined up correctly based on the window crank and door handle splines. Just throwing this out there. Good luck!

ban617 11-16-2020 07:26 PM

Hi, nice looking panels, did you verify the overall length with your original door panels?