The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Clutch Disc Recommendation (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=150254)

69 Post Sedan 08-10-2018 09:11 PM

Clutch Disc Recommendation

I’m looking for a clutch disc recommendation. I currently have a Hays Street/Strip setup in the Chevelle and have loved it from day one. Unfortunately they have discontinued it. BUT.....I found a lightly used pressure plate that is exactly what I have in my car now but want a good, STREETABLE disc. I do abuse the car a "little" and take it to the drag strip 2 or 3 times a year but I despise clutch chatter. The Hays disc was simply an organic disc but worked great!

McLeod recommended their Super Street Pro which is organic/ceramic. I was thinking their all organic disc.....

Thoughts???

Kurt :3gears:

big gear head 08-10-2018 09:34 PM

I ran a Centerforce Dual Friction in my car for many years with no problems and no chatter. Light pedal pressure too. Many 7000 RPM shifts and lots of abuse and it never slipped.

Billohio 08-10-2018 10:58 PM

I have 2 centerforce clutches. One in the 472 inch hemi. No problems and they work nice

69 Post Sedan 08-10-2018 11:16 PM

I’m really only looking for just the disc, not a complete clutch kit, as I have two good Hays pressure plates.

My main concern is, do I use a dual friction or just stay with the organic that I’ve been using?

So far, McLeod, Ram and ACT discs have the best reviews......from the research I’ve done. No offense to any other product.

Kurt

jer 08-11-2018 12:41 AM

I've got a dual friction here and just purchased a Mcleod SSPro like you mentioned. They're really the same disc, organic/ceramic puk. The Mcleod is a little more than half the cost.
Breaking in a dual friction was cake and there was no chatter.
You'd be happy with either Kurt.
Just follow the break-in procedure.

enio45 08-12-2018 11:18 PM

have it rebuilt??

flyingn 08-13-2018 01:20 AM

I too installed a CF 2 clutch and pressure plate in my Torino and love it. Works great

big gear head 08-13-2018 01:30 AM

You can buy the CF DF or McLeod disc and use your pressure plate.

69 Post Sedan 08-13-2018 11:06 PM

Thanks for the replies......I’m still on the fence of which type of disc to buy although I’m going to decide tonight. I’ve had a few companies reply to my questions that I sent them. That did help.

I’m thinking my pressure plate will be fine but I bought a VERY nice, hardly used Hays pressure plate that’s the same as what I have in the car now. So my plan is to get a new disc, fork and throw out bearing. Then, if the one in my car is good or need litte maintenance, I’ll have that for a backup.

Kurt

69 Post Sedan 08-13-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jer (Post 1411168)
I've got a dual friction here and just purchased a Mcleod SSPro like you mentioned. They're really the same disc, organic/ceramic puk. The Mcleod is a little more than half the cost.
Breaking in a dual friction was cake and there was no chatter.
You'd be happy with either Kurt.
Just follow the break-in procedure.

How often do you run your car on the street?

Kurt