The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olds (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Olds F41 suspension (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155085)

novadude 05-15-2019 05:06 PM

Olds F41 suspension

My friend has a '71 Cutlass Supreme, and the build sheet lists "F41 HD suspension". Now, in Chevy-speak, F41 means rear sway bar and boxed arms for A-bodies of that era. We are very sure that this car never had a sway bar or boxed arms, as the suspension appeared to have never been touched.

What did Olds RPO "F41" include in 1971? Was it just springs? Was the power steering box the same as standard suspension, or was it a quicker ratio? Was there anything else that was part of RPO F41?

Mr70 05-15-2019 06:03 PM

Oldsmobile F41 is described as:
"Suspension, Heavy-Duty.
-- For strenuous service: trailer towing, continuous heavy trunk loads, and when most driving is on secondary and rural roads. Includes heavy-duty front and rear springs and front stabilizer bar and FG2 shock absorbers. G66 shock absorbers are available."
..(FG2 is described as "Firm ride control front and rear shocks.")
(G66 is described as "Superlift rear shocks." ie, air shocks)

Oldsmobile FE2 is described as:
"Suspension,442 Rally-Sports.
-- Includes heavy-duty front and rear springs, shock absorbers, and stabilizer bars; and heavy-duty rear suspension control arms; plus PC2."
..(PC2 is described as "Heavy-duty 14x7 wheels.")

novadude 05-15-2019 06:24 PM

Thanks. I'm guessing that there was only ONE A-body power steering box used in all makes / models in 1971, regardless of options? None of the information I've seen on various F-body suspensions ever mentions steering as a feature of the package.

70post 05-16-2019 04:24 AM

Olds had an optional variable ratio power steering box which was probably available on the Abody cars . Not sure when it started and stopped, year model-wise. Didn't really have anything to do with the HD Suspension as the F41 sounds like a trailer towing package.

ScottG 05-16-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70post (Post 1447775)
Olds had an optional variable ratio power steering box which was probably available on the Abody cars . Not sure when it started and stopped, year model-wise. Didn't really have anything to do with the HD Suspension as the F41 sounds like a trailer towing package.

Buick used a better ratio box on the GSX . The steering wheel was also different than a GS also.

novadude 05-16-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70post (Post 1447775)

I thought all Saginaw A-body boxes from 1970-up were variable ratio?

70post 05-22-2019 02:15 AM

I think it was an option on Cutlass/442 cars but would have to check some things here. Maybe it was on all of them but I don't know 100%. I'll check some Olds info and see.