The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Considering creating a '67 Impala COPO what if, suggestions? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158938)

jbailly 01-13-2020 06:01 PM

Considering creating a '67 Impala COPO what if, suggestions?

Hi guys,
First post here so bear with me. I recently inherited my Dad's '67 4 door sport sedan Impala 275 horse 327 with a Powerglide. The car was parked for 40 years and I just recently got it back on the road. While it's a colossal survivor it has next to zero collector value, so I was considering a tribute to the COPO cars. Now as far as I know there were no COPO Impala's? So I want to do a what if, I was thinking a 4 door version of an SS 427 with a 4 speed, but look factory possible. I'm not too concerned with date correct blocks or transmissions, but it won't have a W block either or an LS. Maybe I should look for another car with more than 34,000 miles.

Lee Stewart 01-13-2020 06:44 PM

IMO . . . if it was a 2 door than I would agree with making it a tribute/clone/etc. I guess you could replace the 327/PG with a 427/385 HP along with either a TH 400 or a 4 speed. But either way you are going to need to do some suspension and brakes upgrades

John 01-13-2020 07:22 PM

… Welcome to the site !

… Maybe make it a "Penn. State Trooper Car"

… then you can get pictures at shows … pulling all the other cars over !

… :naughty:

EZ Nova 01-13-2020 07:42 PM

Honestly, sounds like a fun car. Sorta seen stuff like this before, but with wagon versions of the muscle car. Like Chevelle SS wagon, Olds Vista Cruiser W30 wagon and Nova SS wagon for examples.

So a 4 dr version would be neat. I would just follow the styling cues of the SS 427's. Could use buckets, but bench and 4 sp is cool too.

IF you look at most of the COPO cars, there usually bare bones style of cars with the big motors, like the COPO '69 427 Chevelle's. They were, or mostly bench seats and NO console. So maybe bench and 4 sp, plain jane with "poverty" caps too. That's COPO styling. Doesn't HAVE to be a 427 either. Could do whatever you get your hands on, just dress it up as a 385Hp/427.

hogdaddy 01-13-2020 07:56 PM

Do it!
I acquired my dads old 71 Impala 4-door with 400 small block years back and did some minor upgrades.
It was fun. I remember getting a rear sway bar set up from a newer impala from a u pull it auto parts salvage yard.

Mr. Chevy 01-13-2020 08:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I would leave it alone. Sounds like an awesome survivor car. I know it's a 4 door but think about it, you don't see these cars around today... I'm willing to bet that car would get more attention at a car show or cruise than others because of what it is.

I have a 67 Impala Sport Coupe 2d that my neighbor bought new. It's an awesome car and a low mileage survivor. It has the same drive train as yours. Other than detailing it I have left it alone. I absolutely love the car and have fun driving it. It does get alot of attention at shows. You don't see these cars today even though they made "a million of them". People drove them and junked em'.

Just my .02

Rich

My 67

Mr. Chevy 01-13-2020 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You can even have fun changing wheel and tire combos. With a set to TTs.

Rich

TimG 01-13-2020 09:44 PM

That sounds fun, go for it.

tom406 01-13-2020 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you'd be surprised about the market for a 1967 Impala Sport Sedan (hardtop 4dr). Since it has been the "hero" car in the long running cult series "Supernatural" good examples have been pretty sought after and hard to come by. Paint it black, get some of those wheels, and you not only have a good looking rig, but you'll have something much more sellable than a one-of-none COPO what-if.

Bill Pritchard 01-14-2020 02:36 AM

I think we need more info here to make a rational decision. You seem to indicate that your dad's car has 34K original miles? If so, and it has not suffered due to poor storage or damage/abuse/neglect, I would clean it up as best as possible and drive it as is. Nothing to be ashamed of!