The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   I think I have a problem (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176261)

Lynn 07-29-2023 10:10 PM

I think I have a problem

9 Attachment(s)
Not sure why I keep buying stuff. At my age I should be getting rid of things. Maybe subconsciously, I think that if I have enough to do, I can't die til its done.

Oh well.

First up: Handy TearDown table. These things are awesome. Public surplus from a local vo-tech. I used to use one when working on PS pumps or gearboxes, but they work great for anything you are tearing down that has fluid. Designed for transmission teardown, there is a drain on one side with a removable pan underneath. Keeps messes to a minimum. This one is missing that pan, but I am confident I can find one to fit.

Also, some moron cut a hole in the top on the other side, OVER the locking drawer. Really? Guessing they probably mounted a fixture for holding something; who knows? Anyway, this is why I don't throw away much scrap metal. I cut a hole in this piece of scrap to patch the hole in the table. Ground down the welds and sanded it smooth (almost.... hey, this isn't body work).

It is on heavy duty wheels and casters, so I can bring it right under a car on the lift.
Fits nicely next the South stairs. I also bought a couple of lighter duty work benches, both with maple butcher block tops. Can't have too many work benches. Put one by the Handy table and the other one is on the other side of the shop so my brother can use it working on his Formula 2000 he is prepping for autocross.

x77-69z28 07-29-2023 10:20 PM

Nice work Lynn! I’m a bit of a hoarder as well! My last birthday was the 38th anniversary of my 29th birthday!,
Buddy

Lynn 07-29-2023 10:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next up; 1962 vintage Snap-on Ignition Simulator.

I have no excuse other than it was at the same vo-tech as the Handy table, and it was only $30 bucks. I figured the distributor was worth that. It is an 1111500 dated July of 69. Fits C10 or C20 big block. Not aware of any car application.

I plugged it in and IT WORKS; although the cord is in desperate need of being replaced. Notice the second pic where the indicator light is one and the distributor is spinning.

Haven't quite figured this thing out. I am pretty sure that if I hook up a timing light and a tach, I could use it to curve Chevy distributors. Have not even looked to see if it will accept others. Heck, if it does, I may sell my Sun distributor machine.

I have been trying to find an owners manual or user manual with no success. There is a degree scale for the pulley

Where else could I have so much fun for $30?

Lynn 07-29-2023 10:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Lastly, at least for this week, is a vintage Snap-on tool box. Have not even cleaned it up yet.

This one I legitimately need.

I need to get a bunch of my tools down to the shop. REALLY getting tired running back and forth from the shop to the house and back for tools. I really do need the tool storage, and was considering just getting some of the gen II U. S. General stuff (on sale right now, as they are phasing out) from Harbor Freight. Not many tools I would consider buying from that place, but those toolboxes are a pretty darn good value. I have some, and have no complaints. But, this has SO much more cool factor. It was cheaper than what I could have bought the HF toolboxes with comparable storage; and it came with both keys. It is HEAVY. Top box is bolted to the bottom. Got both keys.

I believe this is 1972 or 1973 vintage. All in really good shape. Some corrosion on the outside of the bottom drawer, and the cabinet right next to that. Guessing someone spilled some battery acid on that one area. This will look great next to my 1968 Craftsman upper and lower box set (gray).

Should not be difficult to touch up.

67 Nova Boy 07-29-2023 11:08 PM

I have the same Snap ON tool box, it has the enter three drawer center section and the side cabinet.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

big gear head 07-29-2023 11:24 PM

I've been looking for a distributor machine, but no luck so far. I know a guy who has one that hasn't been used in 30 years and he will never use again, but he won't sell it to me.

John Brown 07-29-2023 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 1628203)
I've been looking for a distributor machine, but no luck so far. I know a guy who has one that hasn't been used in 30 years and he will never use again, but he won't sell it to me.

Find something he needs and work out a swap. I swapped a magneto even for a pair of NOS 409 Edelbrock valve covers a guy wouldn't sell. He just wanted them for his display case. He had an actual use for the mag though.

L_e_e 07-30-2023 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1628198)
Lastly, at least for this week, is a vintage Snap-on tool box. Have not even cleaned it up yet.

This one I legitimately need.

I need to get a bunch of my tools down to the shop. REALLY getting tired running back and forth from the shop to the house and back for tools. I really do need the tool storage, and was considering just getting some of the gen II U. S. General stuff (on sale right now, as they are phasing out) from Harbor Freight. Not many tools I would consider buying from that place, but those toolboxes are a pretty darn good value. I have some, and have no complaints. But, this has SO much more cool factor. It was cheaper than what I could have bought the HF toolboxes with comparable storage; and it came with both keys. It is HEAVY. Top box is bolted to the bottom. Got both keys.

I believe this is 1972 or 1973 vintage. All in really good shape. Some corrosion on the outside of the bottom drawer, and the cabinet right next to that. Guessing someone spilled some battery acid on that one area. This will look great next to my 1968 Craftsman upper and lower box set (gray).

Should not be difficult to touch up.

I bought one of those 72" US General tool boxes about 1.5yrs ago, one of the only good things sold at HF, it is HEAVY DUTY, 600+ pounds empty and I got it on sale with a coupon for less than $1K out the door, wish I would of bought 2 of them.

scuncio 07-30-2023 01:05 AM

Great stuff. I love the work table, and have never seen a distributor machine quite like that. I don't see why you couldn't use it to recurve a distributor provided it had enough speed and a vacuum source.

169indy 07-30-2023 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You are Correct the "Handy" is GREAT!
Drip away, no Need for Brawny LoL