The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Yenko Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   V.V. Cooke Yenko engine (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=172737)

61 vert 08-09-2022 11:18 PM

V.V. Cooke Yenko engine

I am sorry to report that after a brief conversation with the owner of the original engine for the V.V. Cooke Lemans Blue Yenko we have been unable to make a deal. The Dean Davis restored Yenko currently has a restoration motor in it and I would have loved to reunite the car with its original engine.

I feel that we made a good offer for the engine ($20,000) but we are miles apart from the asking price of $50,000. As an employee of the Albaugh Collection I cant recomend to Dennis to part with that kind of jack. I feel that would be a bad business decision. I wish good luck to the seller and maybe someone is out there needs an original MN coded COPO alot more than we do .

Mr70 08-09-2022 11:50 PM

Sigh.

Pro Stock John 08-09-2022 11:58 PM

Sad

Copo_Cartel 08-10-2022 12:03 AM

I guess the greed got the best of him. It’s not worth 20k to anyone else. I hope he can use it as an expensive coffee table. Trust me....I have sold original MN engines to guys on this site for 10k ....that offer of 20k was very fair. Not that it matters but finding it on Market Place...he knew exactly what he was doing and most likely paid 5K or less. Enjoy your new furniture. We don’t need guys like him on this site.

PeteLeathersac 08-10-2022 12:26 AM

'

Bummer news as the seller seemed Ok when posting here, 20K is more than fair also price he's asking a stick-up #.
Hopefully he's a real car guy and makes it happen also realizes the offer in front of him is already more than generous.
Best of luck to all involved!
:beers:
~ Pete

TimG 08-10-2022 12:34 AM

What a shame, and the looser in all this is the car. Your offer was fair.

A member of this site found my friends 1969 L88 motor three years ago and the car owner and engine seller came to an agreement and that L88 now has its original engine back in the car. The seller was a true gentleman.

scuncio 08-10-2022 01:34 AM

It happens, and people often come around in time.

chevelleheart 08-10-2022 02:23 AM

Fingers crossed

z28z11 08-10-2022 03:54 AM

Sad story - hope you can work it out, shame there are the occasional jerks that show up with someone else's drivetrain.

Take heart - there's always hope. I own a matching-numbered L78 with a damaged engine block - came with a spare L78 block, surprised to find that the car it was from still existed. I offered the engine (bare block) to the owner for $1500 first, he said too much, so I asked him to find a 272 block close to my date and we would swap even (plenty around), he wouldn't agree to that either. I eventually gave up -

Regards,
Steve

SuperNovaSS 08-10-2022 05:07 AM

Bummer. I'm sure he will come around eventually. Holding an engine hostage is not a cool move. As stated earlier, your offer was twice market value which should be fair for everyone. I appreciate you posting this info here for all to see. Transparency can only help in this situation.

Out of curiosity, was there a conversation about a trade in with the take out restoration engine?

Jason