The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Day 2 stuff-modified cars (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Sst-90 (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178294)

GaryC 03-09-2024 06:19 PM

Sst-90

2 Attachment(s)
Need some thought's y'all...

Would a Sun SST-90 two piece green line tach be suitable for the day 2 69 Camaro vintage look, or the blue line Sun SST-802?

I'm looking at the SST-90 to go with an EB-9A I already have. I also have an SST-802-2 stand alone, but need to replace the glass, or at least make an attempt.

NorCam 03-11-2024 11:52 AM

I've always liked the green line over the blue myself. I sent my last ones to Williamson Instruments for have Ron calibrate the tack in and upgrade the sending unit to solid state.

GaryC 03-11-2024 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCam (Post 1645856)
I've always liked the green line over the blue myself. I sent my last ones to Williamson Instruments for have Ron calibrate the tack in and upgrade the sending unit to solid state.

I'm trying to do a period correct look for my car, and not sure what tach I want to use. I have a two piece setup with the green line and a stand alone blue line. From what I can see in a pic of my first 69 Camaro SS350 I have a stand alone Sun SST-802-2, or maybe the 802, not sure, white R.P.M, white needle like my pic I posted. I like to try the green line for the green back lighting to match the dash lights. Curious what others thoughts are on the time period.

SuperNovaSS 03-12-2024 04:43 AM

The SST-90 is a bit earlier. They came out in 65 to my knowledge and were popular for a few years. The transistorized Super Tachs dominated after that in regards to Sun tachs. That said, I can imagine someone transferring the greenline to another car if it was just a couple years old. I can appreciate a well executed theme but at the end of the day you should build what you want. Swapping tachs is a pretty small deal if you change your mind. Especially if you figure out a way to mount the transmitter without drilling any new holes.

Jason

GaryC 03-12-2024 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNovaSS (Post 1645892)
The SST-90 is a bit earlier. They came out in 65 to my knowledge and were popular for a few years. The transistorized Super Tachs dominated after that in regards to Sun tachs. That said, I can imagine someone transferring the greenline to another car if it was just a couple years old. I can appreciate a well executed theme but at the end of the day you should build what you want. Swapping tachs is a pretty small deal if you change your mind. Especially if you figure out a way to mount the transmitter without drilling any new holes.

Jason

My Z is a unrestored decent driver, NOM car, so I'm not too worried about a hole here or there with this car. There are some existing holes, not very many, from previous owners that I just put a dab of black RTV in to seal up for the time being. I'm having a EB-9A transmitter being converted that I want to use with the green line tach because the green lighting matches the green back lighting in the dash.

I had a blueline SST-802 in my 69 Camaro SS and my first 69 Z28 around 74-75 time frame. I kind of like both styles.

The transmitter I might put inside the car. maybe. Been trying to locate pics online to see what others have done mounting it. As for the tach, other than the column mount, I'm trying to find a decent spot for it WITHOUT any drilling on that.