The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Garages/shops.. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Shop considerations / thoughts / chat (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153694)

Postsedan 03-01-2019 11:13 AM

Exciting :)

What about a bathroom and or kitchen area?

Dan

Crush 03-01-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postsedan (Post 1437461)
Exciting :)

What about a bathroom and or kitchen area?

Dan

Where is the beer garden going to be?

mockingbird812 03-01-2019 06:53 PM

Super Dave, this is exciting. So figure your power requirements and specifically how many outlets you need and then multiply x2! Can't have too many and if not careful will end up with too few. Think about internal wall or external to the wall air lines. Internal look nicer (to some - just ask Eddie, he has a gentleman's garage ;>)) External can look steam-punk cool if you use copper and are easy to detect/fix leaks. Consider lots of drops (i.e. fill tires or place a dust-making media blaster outside of the shop) around the shop and don't forget external drops but consider freezing temps so insulate external air lines and have water evacuation levers at each drop. Windows are good for natural lighting but consider placing windows higher up, say 8-10 feet off of the deck for security/prying eyes reasons. Consider where sun light will be cast (i.e.don't want it fading your car interior) and consider glass filtering to mitigate this. Lots and lots of insulation in walls and ceiling (generally inexpensive) and consider 2x6 wall construction to give you extra room for extra insulation. With yr high ceilings yr utility bills can get expensive. For concrete floors inside and near your shop consider saw cut seams in concrete (vs standard wide rounded seams) so when rolling things like engine hoist or jacks or other heavy loads on smaller wheels and they contact the seams you don't come to a sudden stop/tip over. that's all for now.

Canuck 03-01-2019 10:01 PM

Dave
Use plenty of ball valve shut offs to Zone your air and water supply between buildings. Consider along with the bathroom,a shower. If you dont use it as a shower,then it can be used for cleaning car parts. A microwave oven and a fridge are all you need as far as a kitchen is concerned.
Consider an old stove /oven for powder coating.

Paul

mockingbird812 03-02-2019 02:40 PM

Dave - if you want the compressor outside to minimize noise then creating a mini shed built to the outside walls of your shop to protect it from the elements with perhaps some insulation on walls may give you round the year operations.

Locker537 03-02-2019 03:06 PM

Subscribing to this one!

Another option on the compressor location is to build a closet for it inside the shop. Isolate the sound, while still keeping it indoors. Easier access and maintenance, but of course you lose some square footage inside.

I'm in a predicament myself. I don't have the space I need to really enjoy this hobby. I look at real estate constantly to find land to build a shop or some commercial space for purchase. I should really make a thread and seek advice from everyone here.

NorCam 03-03-2019 03:16 PM

Some great idea's from Sam and others already. I'm in a colder climate (especially right now as it feels about as cold as Uranus :dunno:) and like the idea of the compressor built in so it's away from elements. A soundproof closet with a vent works well and maybe create a drip pan and a drain for it. I know you're in Texas but I think there's a continental shift in weather patterns with cold weather reaching deeper south in recent times. This year especially.

Another big thing for me was adding air to my ceiling on retractable reels. Since doing this between bays, I've never had the need to pull ground hoses across the shop and have never used my wall mounted connectors since. Quick and easy to pull down and across the shop and one tug so they roll right back up. They rock. Lot's of shut off ball valves around the feeds as suggested earlier. Oh yeah, if I was building another shop, I'd definitely install a urinal and a hand sink somewhere!!! I can't count the times I've walked out to the shop to start on something and said, damn I gotta pee now. That usually means walking back to the house, then I stop to look at emails, snack on something and pour another coffee and wastes so much time. I finally get back to working in the shop and bam, 60 minutes later the cycle starts again.

I have concrete between my house and shop, and if it wasn't there'd be a 120' cow trail from all the washroom breaks. As we get older we gotta pee more, don't forget that. :smirk:

Congrats on the exciting time for your shop build out. I'll be watching.

muscle_collector 03-03-2019 11:41 PM

out of curiosity, how did you pick those two different sizes on the buildings?

muscle_collector 03-04-2019 03:02 AM

funny you mention that about hoarding stuff. (my struggle in life) one of my best friends built a shop that he said he was going to make it just big enough that all his equipment would be on one side and on the other his tool boxes and work bench and in between just big enough a dually truck with the doors open would have about 5 ft between benches and shelves. this was to make it just to do his mechanic work on his cars and no storage. it works.

A12pilot 04-01-2019 12:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure what happened to the starting of this thread by me, or why it now shows Dan "The Man" Vasic as the starter, but no matter. I'll just send him the bill for all of this!

Concrete on 1/2 of the 15,000 sq.ft. driveway which includes the shops and barn!! I just started framing the shops out for electrical. More to come....

Cheers
Dave

firstgenaddict 04-02-2019 01:08 AM

Nice... !

A12pilot 04-07-2019 11:50 AM

Sooooo, new plan on the shops! After much thought of what I’ll use both shops for, and only one getting/needing A/C, here’s the new plan; small shop will be for dirty work, fabrication, and paint while the big shop will be for clean reassembly and have a mezzanine for tools/new parts underneath along with a sink, while the upstairs will be for the old parts and overflow storage of items. The big shop will have a 2-post lift as well. Exposed ceiling in the big shop (no mo’ scaffolding for me!:crazy:) with cylindrical A/C duct work and exposed conduit for the electrical. Walls will be sheetrock in both with work benches along the sides. The smaller shop will have tongue and groove pine on the ceiling, much like the barn but painted. In addition to this, both shops will have 2x4 LED panels for plenty of light with the smaller shop having four mounted low for painting along the bottom edge of the car. Two big exhaust fans mounted towards the ceiling will take care of the overspray.

So that’s the plan. Time to start building it out!!! More to come....:biggthumpup:

Cheers
Dave

m22mike 04-07-2019 02:30 PM

Dave
Looks like there might be just enough room there to do circle burnouts like the Gas Monkeys do :naughty: :burnout:
After all you are in Texas..:flag:

NorCam 04-07-2019 09:36 PM

Holy freaking concrete Jetman!

That's a lot of $quare Footage. Looks fantastic though. Everyone up here uses asphalt due to the cold weather up here. I can only image doing my driveway in concrete. Ouch!

A12pilot 04-08-2019 12:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
No....freakin'....way am I gonna do anything those people do!:no: But based on the final run and straightaway, maybe a Challenge Charley Driveway Burnout is in order? :hmmm:

Yes, it's a crapload of concrete. Concrete comes in various measurements and when you pass the 5,000 sq. ft. area, it is referred to as a "crapload".:tongue:

Mezzanine up! Stairs next!:3gears:

Cheers
Dave

A12pilot 04-14-2019 09:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished framing both shops and they're getting electric installed this week! The smaller shop, 24x36, has 18 2x2 LED panels. The two batches along on the pony wall will be used when this shop converts to the paint booth. Two 2x2 exhaust fans will handle the overspray fallout. The row down the middle will be used for the everyday work.

The big shop will have three 2x4 LED panels and I'll be installing 3 windows for natural light. Two ceiling fans (two bladed Hartzell propeller looking:headbang:) will be keeping air moving in that one, along with central AC and heat. This is the reassembly shop and done car shop. Well, that is, if I ever keep any DONE cars! :smirk:

Cheers
Dave

Xplantdad 04-14-2019 10:36 PM

Wow...nice!!:headbang:

Stefano 04-15-2019 12:32 PM

Nice, congrats. Make certain to use explosion proof exhaust fans.

A12pilot 04-16-2019 02:03 AM

Yes, definitely! Very good point.

Cheers
Dave

firstgenaddict 04-19-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefano (Post 1443914)
Nice, congrats. Make certain to use explosion proof exhaust fans.

X10...
Vaneaxial with cast ALUMINUM ROTOR -removes the motor from the air stream and Aluminum blades and ensure there is not a contact spark if the rotor hits the housing.

A12pilot 04-21-2019 05:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Drywall is finished! :headbang: The electrician is doing his thing and I'll have some juice all over everywhere! :headbang: The ceiling and angled pony wall will be covered in 5" tongue and groove pine like the barn, but painted. No more stain!:wink:

The small booth, as you can see by the 2x2 framed squares, will have three rows of LED panels with the center row being the primary ones for work. The outer rows can be switched on when the "boof" needs to be used. Should be plenty of light to see all kinds of mistakes I'm making. :thumbsdown: I'll be mounting the exhaust fans on the end corners and they should pull enough air to lower the atmospheric pressure by 1.25 inches! I'm going on Bernouli's principle where I create such a negative pressure that it just sucks all the crap out of the shop. Sort of like a hurricane. Hopefully it'll take a bunch of my crazy ideas with it!

Compressor will be mounted outside on a pad to keep it away from fumes/ dust/ the occasional flying tool.

The big shop I decided to do half drywall and the far wall and pony wall tongue and groove pine board. The two boxes in the center will be for neon lights operated by switches. Neon lights, meaning. like the cool kind like signage and such. I installed three 2x4 windows, and they'll be 3 2x4 LED panels in that pony wall. Two 70" ceiling fans will be located in the center of the bays. Actually, they'll be offset since the far bay will have a 2-Post lift. The parts mezzanine will hide tools and ugly parts below, and clean new parts above. And as you can see...outlets outlets outlets!!

Moving forward...... more to come! Next week I'll have a car in there! :naughty:

Cheers:beers:
SuperDave

Postsedan 04-21-2019 08:07 PM

Love it Dave.....this will be a very cozy workplace!

Keep up the great work.

Dan

A12pilot 05-04-2019 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shop 2 / paint booth update! Lights are in and as soon as we close on the house I'll get all this crap outta here and start working on stuff!

The amount of Lumens put out by these LED light panels makes it true to daylight. It's impressive!

The big shop has the two-post installed, three 2x4 LED panels, and six 8ft LED light strips. More to come on that one!

Of course the first banner that I hung had to be the most sought after banner in the history of banners! :biggthumpup:

Cheers
Dave

tunes 05-04-2019 02:33 AM

Wow. I'm sooooooo jealous!

A12pilot 05-08-2019 11:24 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Thanks! It's going to be nice to work ina big, bright, unconfined shop where i'm not tripping over everything! :thumbsdown:

I installed the air piping and used the Rapid Air 3/4" system. I had this in my last shop and loved it. Three air ports and the ability to add more if needed. The front port by the door will have a 50ft reel for tire service/ lawn equipment cleaning outside on the driveway pad. Further down the wall is the paint port and regulator. Rounding the corner ends at the blast cabinet. Nowhere in the shop is airless or outletless!

First thing I welded up was my front gate. As I told my neighbor, it's really not for helping things in, it's for keeping PEOPLE out! :naughty: This coupled with the Mighty Mule 6100DGO-1655, makes for a nice entry into the Flying M Ranch and Classic Car Hangar.

Of course, no ranch would be complete without critters. And while this guy was outside the shop Sunday, yesterday, somehow, he found his way into the shop and made himself at home in some shelving. Which....I discovered one I picked it up to start assembling! :eek2:

I carried him outside and he went on his merry way. Although creepy looking, it's a Texas Rat Snake so he's good to have around.

More to come.....

Cheers
SuperDave

A12pilot 05-19-2019 08:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Moving forward, the closing on the new house is finally tomorrow! Now I can get all this junk, er.. furniture...out of the shops and I can finally get things finished up!

The side walls in the big shop will be tongue and groove pine. 8ft LED strips mimic T8 bulbs and are extremely bright.

Crusty will have Crunchy as a shopmate shortly, and the mezzanine will get shelving next week for all the Cuda parts that'll be be flying off those two. Can't wait!

More to come...

Cheers
Dave

BOWTIE67327 05-19-2019 08:30 PM

errrrrrrrrr what kind of snake is that? poisonis?

A12pilot 05-19-2019 08:50 PM

No, not poisonous. It’s a Texas Black Snake, or Rat Snake. It’s part of the Rat Snake family just like Jimmie the Weasel, Loose Lips Tony, and Twinkle Toes Tommy!:grin:

Picture makes it appear that it’s diamond shaped on that noggin’, but I can assure you that I may be stupid (that’s a fact!:grin:) but I ain’t stupid enough to get close to anything poisonous that bites!:no:

Lot of big creepy crawlies out here for sure. Squished my first tiny tarantula and baby scorpion too. Bleh! Time to move:grin:

Cheers
Dave

Postsedan 05-20-2019 12:49 PM

Everything is Bigger and Better in Texas.
Looking Great Dave :)

Dan

A12pilot 02-19-2020 09:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
With the F1 back to Rick, I spent the last two days rearranging my small shop. The idea this time was to make everything secure and in sealed cabinets to prevent dust from settling on the tools. A couple more cabinets and I'll be set! I also redesigned my exhaust fan boxes with plenums that match the 24" high cfm fans. They each pull 7800cfms. With both of these running, over 15k cfms, there is so much air movement that if the pedestrian door is open it"ll pull it closed! Can't wait to paint the next car!

Just a few final trim pieces to put up on the bottom of the 2x2 LED panels and it is ready for the 507. Has to redo the blast cabinet too. It's all clean, new gloves coming, and the vacuum now exists directly outside the shop. Good stuff!

The wall that's clear will have the metal working tools against it: English wheel, brake, bead roller.

Cheers:beers:
Dave

firstgenaddict 02-20-2020 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks great!
I used the Rapid Air 3/4" system as well, had some 3/4" 304 stainless which I used as a vertical to get some of the moisture out, it works well, however I put my lines on trapeze's to get everything above the roll up doors, it works great in getting the moisture out of the lines and is very easy to put together.
Also used a bulkhead fitting and placed my blast cabinet vacuum outside the building.
On thing... I wish I would have put a floor drain in one bay at least.