The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   1971 340 Demon - 12k orig miles kept in damp garage - what to do first? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157122)

Dave Castine 09-19-2019 02:37 PM

1971 340 Demon - 12k orig miles kept in damp garage - what to do first?

Guys - I have found a one owner, '71 340 Demon that's still owned by the original owner. It's a 4-spd, man steering, manual drum brake car. It's showing 12,300 original miles, has the original paint, tires, belts, hoses, etc. The car was driven from the day it was picked up until 1973 when it was parked (no winters). The owner started a business, raised a family, and before you know it 40 years have gone by and he now wants to sell it - he's in his 70's.

Cool right? I want this car and I'm trying to come up with a number for him.

Unfortunately the car was parked in a damp Vermont garage, has rust pimples all over the undercarriage and engine bay, the car has not been run in 30+ years. The brake pedal is ROCK hard, the shifter seems to work correctly moving in and out of the gears. I opened the vents and it was stuffed with insulation telling me this was a mice condo in the past. The gas was never drained, and the oil is as old as my daughter that's just given us our first grandson (she's in her mid 30's).

The paint, body and interior is in real nice shape other than some mildew. I'm thinking of just getting it to be safe to driver (recondition the paint, do over the brakes, new re-pop tires, belts & hoses, carb rebuild, new tank, fuel pump and lines, possible engine re-seal, and some light paint work in the engine bay - not sure what all that would cost. But I'm likely to out source most of it due to my work travel.

I need to come up with a number that would work for both the seller and me. I do not intend to sell it, but would enjoy showing the car and telling its story...

Oh and by the way - it's a Mr. Norm's GSS 340-6pk Demon. I'll try and upload pics later today....

Bill Pritchard 09-19-2019 11:13 PM

That's quite an "oh, by the way...." there Dave :biggthumpup:

Looking forward to the pics. And I'll throw a number out there....$15K....right now it's a pig in a poke.

BLACKLS5 09-20-2019 01:53 PM

Unbelievably cool Dave !!!

L_e_e 09-20-2019 02:00 PM

Wow!!!!!

YenkoYS-199Stinger 09-20-2019 02:21 PM

I like it!! The pictures are much better than when I read your description.

Tracker1 09-20-2019 02:25 PM

If there are original Mr. Norm docs, $20,000 is not out of the question

GrumpyJeff 09-20-2019 02:41 PM

Seriously ? Oh By the Way HaHa , Killer Car for sure !!!!

markinnaples 09-20-2019 02:45 PM

That is AWESOME. My buddy had a '71 Demon 340 Six Pack in Hemi orange with the tartan interior that was way cool. Did a ton of work to it including building the 340, repainting it, etc., and sold it just before it was put on the road. Always wanted to see it run, and now I have a soft spot for the '71/'72 Demons. Congrats on the purchase, and looking forward to seeing how this goes. Looks like a great start!

RS_COPO_Canuck 09-20-2019 03:09 PM

Wow.
It even has its original heater hoses.
Larry may have the Grand Spaulding folder on this car.
The air filter element is going to be a PITA to find....some modify a K&N to fit.
I like that car! I have 4 G-S Dodge cars....but not a GSS Demon. Cool stuff.

Dave Castine 09-20-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS_COPO_Canuck (Post 1463992)
Wow.
It even has its original heater hoses.
Larry may have the Grand Spaulding folder on this car.
The air filter element is going to be a PITA to find....some modify a K&N to fit.
I like that car! I have 4 G-S Dodge cars....but not a GSS Demon. Cool stuff.

I've been talking to Larry about the car - sent in my $50 to have them start digging - waiting to hear back now.