The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   E Bay Fun Circus (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171671)

67BelAir427 05-03-2022 10:42 AM

E Bay Fun Circus

Actually not fun at all......
Listed my car for sale here and had interest but no sale. Listed on E Bay last week and had strong bidding. Then, several bids in a row by a bidder with 72 auctions but no car activity ever and no purchases in two years. He bumps the price up to the point where he was the high bidder, and then continued to bid 10 times , against himself, and of course the high bid does not change. So he clearly is trying to uncover the reserve. He gets outbid, and then two nights ago he does the same thing , uncovers the reserve, and then retracts his bid. I cancel his bid, block him, and report him to E bay.

Then last night a new bidder hits the reserve right off the bat. New user who joined yesterday, no auction history, and has not asked me a single question nor contacted me.
I figure this is the same user who probably is using another new account, with the intent to screw up my auction. I messaged him, told him he is going to own it and to contact me.
Crickets.

My auction now looks like a shill bidding seminar, and if I were a bidder I would not feel
comfortable.

CamaroNOS 05-03-2022 12:37 PM

I think we all know lots of guys that have had issues with E-Bay and some of them quite serious.

Other options are Hemmings, Cars on Line, BAT (and there are also issues with them from what I hear) or bring your car to an auction in the U.S.

Paul

scuncio 05-03-2022 01:24 PM

If you cancel the high bid, I don't see how Ebay could charge you final value fees.

Too Many Projects 05-03-2022 01:51 PM

How do all the sellers that end their auctions early "because the item is no longer available" get by with it ?
We see this all the time. The ad states they reserve the right to end early, as the vehicle is for sale locally. Do you have this disclaimer in your ad, or can you add it now and then end the auction ?

CC Rider 05-03-2022 02:31 PM

I used classiccars.com twice with awesome success. Hemmings provided me with photo collectors and Chevy "critics".

the427king 05-03-2022 03:14 PM

Let the auction run to the end. File a non paying bidder when the time frame for payment has elapsed and get your fees back. The best way to sell your car is to post on websites and ask what its worth and that you are thinking of selling it. , cars have a better chance to sell when they arent advertised for sale, if that makes any sense . A shame you have to play the game, but it works People want to think they are getting something before anyone else gets a chance.

Crush 05-03-2022 03:16 PM

I’ve used Bat several times with the only issues being the peanut gallery. Otherwise no issues with getting the amount I was looking for and Payment not sure what others experiences have been.

CamaroNOS 05-03-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the427king (Post 1590062)
Let the auction run to the end. File a non paying bidder when the time frame for payment has elapsed and get your fees back. The best way to sell your car is to post on websites and ask what its worth and that you are thinking of selling it. , cars have a better chance to sell when they arent advertised for sale, if that makes any sense . A shame you have to play the game, but it works People want to think they are getting something before anyone else gets a chance.

Some very good points Chuck to take into account. That's what I would call a good old fashion "soft sell".

Paul

TimG 05-03-2022 06:26 PM

I used BaT in March and it was a seamless and easy process

67BelAir427 05-03-2022 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1590054)
How do all the sellers that end their auctions early "because the item is no longer available" get by with it ?
We see this all the time. The ad states they reserve the right to end early, as the vehicle is for sale locally. Do you have this disclaimer in your ad, or can you add it now and then end the auction ?

I just checked with E Bay and if I end the auction early they will charge me 12.9 % of the highest bid !!!

They are separate from Pay Pal now, and things seemed to have changed.

On my third call to the E Bay offshore call centre is was determined that E Bay Motors does not ahve final value fees . Seems they think I was selling model cars ?