The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Preservation forum (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Build Sheet Question (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139024)

Qtown Ed 09-05-2016 11:42 AM

Build Sheet Question

Hey All, I wasn't sure the right place to post this but I am in the middle of a restoration my 69 L78 Nova and while the car is out at Micky Hales shop getting the majority of the work done I'm prepping to do the interior, electric, brake and fuel lines once it comes home. As I was going through shelves full of parts I found a second build sheet under the back seat (first build sheet was under the front seat) but it was literally slipped over one of the metal rods and stapled through with the upholstery material. Between that and its brittle nature I got it out but in six pieces. Like I said I do have the other other build sheet but hoped to somehow piece this one back together to preserve it and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

WILMASBOYL78 09-06-2016 07:25 PM

Re: Build Sheet Question

Try finding someone who works with old maps/photos...I had a 100 yr. old topo map that had a few holes in it and was in pretty rough shape. The gentleman did a great job of piecing things together and preserving what I had. You will want to have it in some type of frame with glass or the right plastic to protect it from further harm.

wilma

DW31S 09-08-2016 10:32 AM

Re: Build Sheet Question

Wow Ed! Rally Green L78 being done by Mickey? Please, please show us and tell us more about the car! As for the build sheet, I'd say take your time and extract every minute piece with tweezers and the place it on a clean flat surface for the reconstruction. Fly paper may be a good idea so the tiny pieces stay where you want them. Then, I'd take the time to create what is missing from a photo static copy of your other sheet. The fact that you have the other sheet is paramount here; not only for the authentication, but for "making" the missing pieces. It will be fairly obvious that the reconstructed sheet is just that...reconstructed...but it will still be neat to have and display.

Qtown Ed 08-28-2019 09:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Follow up question...instead of starting another thread on my build sheet I thought I'd just continue this one. I decoded most of my build sheet but does anyone know what the 20 is after the L78 code in the first pic? And what does the 4 under the PP in the second pic represent?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Qtown Ed 08-28-2019 09:02 PM

Pics are reversed obviously

68 Chevy II 08-28-2019 11:17 PM

Ed,
Box #2 was the trans code. Should read m20.
Looks like a typo with the letter missing

Qtown Ed 08-29-2019 12:48 AM

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the reply! It must have been a full typo as I have the original trans and its stamped P9S20B (with the VIN below it) which I believe is M21? Well at least I know what was supposed to be in that box :D

Ed

WILMASBOYL78 08-29-2019 11:28 AM

buildsheet decode...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtown Ed (Post 1461296)
Hey Tony,

Thanks for the reply! It must have been a full typo as I have the original trans and its stamped P9S20B (with the VIN below it) which I believe is M21? Well at least I know what was supposed to be in that box :D

Ed

The buildsheet code 'M20'...does not indicate the specific transmission installed, eg; M20, M21 or M22...this code simply told the Fisher Body folks they needed to cut a hole in the floor for a manual trans. shifter. This is a very common point of confusion when folks look at the Fisher buildsheets. Basically the sheet indicated any work needed to the body to facilitate installing various options like; trim and moldings, floor shifters, consoles, decor packages, etc.

-wilma

Qtown Ed 08-29-2019 11:54 AM

Thanks Tom!

As usual a great source of information, as is this site!

Ed

TAR6569 09-29-2019 11:15 PM

The sheet has the six digit number from your cowl tag?