The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Carolina Blue (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162408)

x33rs 08-01-2020 01:46 PM

Carolina Blue

Anyone that remembers a previous post about my Chevelle, it's originally Carolina Blue.
I'm painting a 72 El Camino now and I think I see a window of opportunity to get one of my own in the booth soon. So at the paint store yesterday I was discussing my options. Of course no one out here in Arizona seems to have heard of the color, and the paint store that has been in business for decades of course has never had the need to mix that color. Obviously there is no paint code on the car.

Anyone have a good known paint code from any brand of paint that is a good starting point? Or someone that has painted Carolina blue that knows a paint code used? I primarily use BASF products here so I can cross reference just about any brand. Mix formulas are different among the brands but would at least get me close.

My only other option would be to recover a good section of color left on the car and have them color match it. I'm trying to avoid that option for a couple reasons. One, I don't know yet if I can recover the paint left that would be good enough for a match, or whether it would be on a piece small enough to leave at the paint store. Second, they take FOR EVER to do any color matching of any kind. Last time I did that for a customer it was a month before they finally got something for me. So the wait time is ridiculous and something I don't really have time for. So I really prefer to avoid this route at all costs. If I get a window, chances are it'll be a small one and I can't waste time getting the car done with paying jobs waiting.

Thanks,
Larry

rlw68 08-01-2020 07:39 PM

How about Duke blue ? :eek:

Discussed here -> https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80500

x33rs 08-01-2020 10:27 PM

Thanks for the link. Seems there are quite a few people that can't agree on what Carolina Blue looks like and quite a few paint codes thrown around.
I'll have to research some of those codes and see if I can come up with a match.

For the record, that 70 Chevelle in that thread is the "exact" same shade of blue on my 72 Chevelle. I have - - for a paint code, I've always known it to be a special order paint car (bought it when it was 15 years old), just never cared what it might of been till now.

I've found several areas of nicely preserved original paint that is not faded (under the original door jamb stickers for instance)
That is definitely the correct shade of Carolina Blue. Mine was sold new in Winston Salem, NC at Modern Chevrolet.

I just really prefer to not go through a custom color match deal with the paint store and would rather present a code that will get them there.

John Brown 08-01-2020 11:00 PM

FWIW....

paintref.com/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Carolina Blue

John Brown 08-01-2020 11:03 PM

And....

paintref.com/cgi-bin/year=1969 model=Chevelle

x33rs 08-01-2020 11:09 PM

That second link might be what I needed, thanks John.

I see Carolina Blue listed with the old Dupont number 926-98371

That's the same code found on the buildsheet of the 70 Chevelle that rlw68 linked to. Just so happens I have a big picture of that car I can blow up and it visually appears exactly like the blue on my 72. So I'm pretty confident that is the shade I need, and I should be able to cross over that old Dupont number.

:biggthumpup:

Charley Lillard 08-02-2020 01:09 AM

I had a LS6 that color and I think the build sheet had it as a Cadillac blue ?

Charley Lillard 08-02-2020 01:10 AM

I have a copy of the sheet somewhere.

Charley Lillard 08-02-2020 01:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found it.

rlw68 08-02-2020 01:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley Lillard (Post 1509126)
I had a LS6 that color and I think the build sheet had it as a Cadillac blue ?

Charley, is this the same color?