The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   GM to quit NASCAR (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158457)

earntaz 12-10-2019 01:10 AM

GM to quit NASCAR

This may be a reality seeing as how GM will kill the Camaro in 2023. NASCAR will need to get another foreign manufacture to fill the gap. It was reported Honda was looking at the feasibility of entering ... Just another nail in that coffin ... TAZ

Postsedan 12-10-2019 01:40 AM

So much for....."Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet" :(

This has been a bad week for bad news for the car enthusiast :(

Dan

Late BrakeU2 12-10-2019 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earntaz (Post 1474776)
This may be a reality seeing as how GM will kill the Camaro in 2023. NASCAR will need to get another foreign manufacture to fill the gap. It was reported Honda was looking at the feasibility of entering ... Just another nail in that coffin ... TAZ

Link please, the one that no gen 7 Camaro is coming( not that i doubt it's true)

John Brown 12-10-2019 02:54 AM

Maybe GM can get NASCAR to start a SUV racing division..... :hmmm:

the427king 12-10-2019 02:57 AM

Electric SUVs at that...

JRSully 12-10-2019 11:24 AM

As a long time NASCAR fan, in my opinion, it is unwatchable now. Bunch of teenage kids, with lots of $$ movinig in as the old names retire. Amazing how F1 stays completely relevant and popular (it seems) but NASCAR can't adapt. I get that it is a regional/US centric sport, but lot of history there

big gear head 12-10-2019 12:10 PM

I completely quit watching NASCAR when they allowed Toyota to enter. It was an all American sport until then, and that's how it should have stayed. NASCAR can die as far as I'm concerned.

Burd 12-10-2019 01:14 PM

They need to go back to real cars. No, we build a car from a hood. Stupid.

BCreekDave 12-10-2019 01:15 PM

I slowed watching after Earnhardt died and then really stopped altogether with the COT debacle. It wasn't really Earnhardt, but he kind of represented the old guard that called them as he saw them and wasn't so PC in his answers. Smoke was a bit like that, but you could see it fading fast. Totally boring now.

70 copo 12-10-2019 01:19 PM

It is a complex back story:

In recent years the owners of NASCAR began to take positions in direct opposition to the belief structures of the people who supported the series all in an attempt to please the media and the socials.

The autopsy of NASCAR could read that the race was so safe since the loss of Dale that it was literally-boring to watch.

Ticket prices 25% higher then they were a decade ago.

Climate change people attacking the series for polluting the environment.

NASCAR beginning to support gun control.

Perhaps the epitaph was the media attack after staged questions were set to encourage NASCAR to protest the stars and stripes and national anthem a couple of years ago. This was a no win for NASCAR. If you are pro flag then you are polarized. If you decline the narrative then you loose again.

Media: Is NASCAR doing enough to battle: ?

Racism,

Global Warming,

Guns,

Display of the Confederate flag at the tracks -- and the list goes on and on...

If you are a potential new fan and you are likely to be worried about what people think of you than you are far less likely to participate in attending races or even watch.

Older fans took note and by changing the channel and finding other things to do rather than attend races.

The slow and painful death of NASCAR.

GM is bugging out simply because there are no detectable vehicle sale uptick or positive publicity as a result of participation in the series.