The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Was there ever a better ALL AROUND car (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160602)

dustinm 04-14-2020 06:43 PM

My parents had a 68 Coronet 500 and 63 Impala SS when I was growing up in the 80s. I would have to say I didnt notice much difference in the back seat or the trunk size other than the Impala trunk was deeper. Every time I went with mom to get groceries a cart boy would ask to buy the Coronet. BTW we pulled our boat to the lake with it for a few years.

carnut4life 04-14-2020 07:11 PM

Make my B body a 1970 Charger R/T SE 440/6 4 speed in orange or red.

EZ Nova 04-14-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m22mike (Post 1494248)
How about GM A bodies from about 68 through 1972. :dunno:

Little smaller. Nothing wrong with them. I think the GTX's with the wood-grain interior touches were just a bit nicer finished off. And that is only my thoughts. Just like in today's cars, some higher end cars offer the wood-grain interior packages.

Astock 04-15-2020 03:17 AM

I've had all of the above, and the best daily driver was a '68 Barracuda formula S w/ 340 a/c, disc. Everything always worked.
Handled well, stopped well, easy to park compared to the above cars, and never had to put 10 cents in repairs.

Baron Von Zeppelin 04-15-2020 04:17 AM

Quote:

the 68/69 MOPAR B bodys
I looked at the pictures
Was it an accident that those cars were so box-car ugly , or did they do it on purpose to trick hobo's into buying 'em ?

Train, Train, take me on out of this town :burnout:
The caboose is coming loose
lol

mssl72 04-15-2020 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin (Post 1494386)
...Train, Train, take me on out of this town :burnout:
lol

Nice Blackfoot quote! Great song!!

x33rs 04-15-2020 12:33 PM

Hard to pick just one. We still daily drive the classics and ironically the two that my wife and I use I don't consider the best "all around" car but they do what we want well enough. The 69Z is the better car, with a better back seat, a little more trunk, and nimble, fun to drive. The 70 Formula has it's drawbacks. The trunk is too small with an even smaller lid that doesn't allow big things inside, the back seat is horrible, like sitting in a dungeon. My son would much rather ride in the Z where he sits up higher and more visibility, and the doors on the Formula are huge. You really don't even have room to open them in todays parking spots. It does ride a little better than the Z though.

Probably my favorite driver we've had were the 70-72 Novas. Small enough they are nimble and easy to park, back seat area is spacious, the trunk was also spacious with a lid large enough to actually put things in it. They rode nice enough, and my wife enjoyed driving them, not too big, not too small, easy to work on.

I like the A-bodies but I don't think I'd enjoy daily driving the chevelle as much. My wife won't drive it anyway....too big. It is pretty comfy with the family inside though. Of course being the larger car, heavier, and longer wheel base, it has the best ride quality.

Arrowsmith 04-15-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron von zeppelin (Post 1494386)
i looked at the pictures
was it an accident that those cars were so box-car ugly , or did they do it on purpose to trick hobo's into buying 'em ?

Train, train, take me on out of this town :burnout:
lol

l-o-l.....

ssl78 04-15-2020 02:40 PM

One of the best driving cars I have had was my 70 Superbird it drove and rode better than my Chevelle. The car even still had bias ply tires and I was surprised it didnt feel like I was driving a big car.

marxjunk 04-15-2020 05:16 PM

personally. if i was going to claim a b-body as the best all around car..id prob go with a 71 charger..they drive better..considering its a uni body...but i dont think anyone i know would call a b-body the best all around car built..

im going with GM a-body myself