The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   December 7th... (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173955)

WILMASBOYL78 12-07-2022 03:27 PM

December 7th...

1 Attachment(s)
Today marks the 81st anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Not sure how many news outlets will mention this, but we must always honor and remember the sacrifices that were made that day.

Lest we forget :flag::flag::flag:

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/th...s-world-war-ii

69M22Z 12-07-2022 04:58 PM

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Bill Pritchard 12-07-2022 09:16 PM

Unfortunately I'm the only person on my block who's flying Old Glory from the house today :( And I live in a 55+ community.

Too Many Projects 12-07-2022 11:49 PM

Seems unusually quiet about this in the media. Less coverage every year. Our local channel did mention a "handful" of 100+ yr old service members would attend a memorial service at the Arizona.
:flag::flag::flag::flag:

hubleyman 12-08-2022 01:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This day brings back memories for me every year, even though it's less and less covered in the news.

My dad (now deceased) was serving in Pearl harbor when it was attacked. Back in the 60's he would tell us kids stories of this particular event and we always took it with a grain of salt. He was a lifelong military guy (12 years in Marines and 30 or so in the Army) and had many stories...

Just this year I came across a binder that had some of his military records. The attached doc is one item I discovered, and after all these years it finally proves to me he was really there.

On a side note, this doc also indicates he was an automobile mechanic (which included tanks as well). He really was an avid "hotrodder" back in the day. One of his many toys was a Catalina with a 4 speed and dual quads. He used to tell everyone "My Pontiac Catalina burna mucha gasolina".

He also used to tell us that if there was a part on a tank that didn't move or need to be greased, he would chrome it...

RIP to all the brave souls who served our country during this horrific event.

WILMASBOYL78 12-08-2022 12:54 PM

December 7th...

Charlie....

Thanks for posting the vintage documents...very cool. I am in the middle of helping a friend get VA benefits for her 100 year old dad. He is an Army veteran from WW2...but the gov't can't confirm his service. Seems there was a fire in St. Louis years back that destroyed thousands of files...his was one of them.

We have local legislator [Marine Vet] who has picked up the ball and is trying to help. Wish we had a file like you do, it would really help.

Kind of funny we all dream of 'matching numbers paperwork' for collector cars. Never thought it would be the same thing for a veteran fighting for his benefits :confused2:

-wilma

:flag::flag::flag:

RPOLS3 12-08-2022 06:47 PM

Cool - thanks for sharing and his service. :flag:

Curious as to what was his connection to Rockford IL listed on the documents? Was that were he was discharged?

AnthonyS 12-08-2022 08:42 PM

^ looks like that’s where he was born.

Thanks to him and everyone who served or serves.

danachevroletfor1967 12-08-2022 08:49 PM

Dec. 7th is not forgotten here where I live as one of the last 2 survivors of the USS Arizona, Lou Conter, lives here. He is 101 and usually attends the memorial services at Pearl Harbor every year, but his doctor advised against it this year due to the long flight and his advancing age. He watched the ceremonies via video feed.

WILMASBOYL78 12-16-2022 07:49 PM

A Veteran Passes...

4 Attachment(s)
I mentioned this gentleman last week...he made it to 100 years of age and passed away on Wednesday morning. He was a car guy and loved his baby blue 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme...very nice car with only 17k original miles.

Ed Odegard served in the US Army in Europe during the war...and was quite a character.

God speed on his journey. :flag::flag: