The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Crappy idle, misfire on one cylinder. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149893)

ORIGLS6 07-20-2018 03:26 AM

If it's on the Corvette, check your grounding.

Lynn 07-20-2018 03:27 AM

Checked the # 2 wire with an ohm meter, and compare with others? Not likely you got two bad ones, but possible.

Next step is kind of a pain, but assuming you have put an ohm meter on the two (2) plug wires you have tried, and they both show good, next step is to pull the distributor, put it in 180 out. Rotate all the wires 180. Start it up. If #3 now has a weak spark, you have pinpointed the distributor as the issue. If #2 still has weak spark, you have eliminated the distributor as the issue. Not likely the coil if it only affects one cylinder.

If you don't have a spare distributor laying around, I would be glad to send you a functioning one (won't be curved exactly right for your car, but will at least let you know if it is the distributor.

DarrenX33 07-20-2018 11:33 AM

This is on my Corvette.

67 Nova Boy 07-20-2018 02:38 PM

Have you replaced your spark plugs...not uncommon to have a plug or two go bad.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

DarrenX33 07-20-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 1408623)
Checked the # 2 wire with an ohm meter, and compare with others? Not likely you got two bad ones, but possible.

Next step is kind of a pain, but assuming you have put an ohm meter on the two (2) plug wires you have tried, and they both show good, next step is to pull the distributor, put it in 180 out. Rotate all the wires 180. Start it up. If #3 now has a weak spark, you have pinpointed the distributor as the issue. If #2 still has weak spark, you have eliminated the distributor as the issue. Not likely the coil if it only affects one cylinder.

If you don't have a spare distributor laying around, I would be glad to send you a functioning one (won't be curved exactly right for your car, but will at least let you know if it is the distributor.

Holy cow what a nice offer, and I very much appreciate that.. I do happen to have a spare distributor here with me. I am going to try and put it in. I will also consider the experiment you mentioned here. I think I will be able to solve this soon.

Carolina Dreamin' 07-20-2018 10:53 PM

Check your messages, Tom

DarrenX33 07-22-2018 03:22 PM

Ok. It was the distributor. I dropped in my old Unilite and it ran great. I have a thought as to what is wrong with it but I will wait until it is looked at. Sending it back to be checked out.

Kurt S 07-23-2018 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 427_Rat (Post 1408620)
If one lobe on the distributor cam (for #2 cyl.) was wore down, might prevent spark at low RPM and allow a weak spark at higher RPM when points "bounce"...possibly?

If it was a bad lobe, I don't know that the distributor machine would have caught that.....

Steve Shauger 07-23-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt S (Post 1408913)
If it was a bad lobe, I don't know that the distributor machine would have caught that.....

Also when it was being rebuilt it most likely would have been found.

L78steve 07-23-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt S (Post 1408913)

Yes it would. You look around the whole dial and you can see the spark events of each lobe.
If one lobe is worn it would show a late spark on that lobe.