The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Day 2 stuff-modified cars (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Cragar info needed (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165810)

Starship 02-13-2021 03:55 PM

Cragar info needed

4 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a set of SSs like I've never seen before. They are steel hoop with aluminum centers, but, the two pieces are staked together. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

NorCam 02-13-2021 05:18 PM

Cool. I need a set in that size (15x6) :Can-I-Have-It:

Nice score. How do the fronts look?

Mr. Chevy 02-13-2021 11:53 PM

Those are older ones, your date code is July of 1971. "C.M.W." Cragar Motor Wheels??

I have a 1971 dated Cragar SS wheel and it looks the same as yours. Must have been how they were put together then...

Very Cool!!

Rich

scuncio 02-14-2021 12:04 AM

Interesting construction. As a metallurgist there are some interactions that I’m definitely curious about. Please inspect those carefully - I had a mint set of Rocket 15x4s that were staked, and the interface on one of them had loosened to the extent that the hub had a few degrees of rotational clearance. Fortunately I discovered this before I put them on the car.

1967 4K 02-14-2021 01:23 AM

Staked

What do you guys mean by staked? I’ve never heard that term in reference to wheels.

Richard

scuncio 02-14-2021 02:07 AM

Instead of welding the wheel center to the rim, there are reliefs cast into the wheel center spokes where they meet the rim. Then a special die tool stakes the rim to the wheel center, deforming the rim like a hammer and punch would do, essentially locking the rim to the wheel center. This is an interesting idea but since aluminum expands at a higher rate than steel, the interface loosens up when it’s cold. And once the wheel center slips relative to the rim, it’s downhill from there.

1967 4K 02-14-2021 01:04 PM

Staked

Thanks Tony, I don’t like that method. Over time that will come loose. Cragar must not have used that method much and good for them.

Thanks

Starship 02-14-2021 01:10 PM

I wonder if those wheel were made by another manufacturer for Cragar, like Carter did for Rochester when they couldn't keep up with demand.

Bernhard 02-15-2021 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuncio (Post 1536938)
Interesting construction. As a metallurgist there are some interactions that I’m definitely curious about. Please inspect those carefully - I had a mint set of Rocket 15x4s that were staked, and the interface on one of them had loosened to the extent that the hub had a few degrees of rotational clearance. Fortunately I discovered this before I put them on the car.

What are your thoughts about having them welded like other Cragar rims?

big gear head 02-15-2021 04:00 AM

The other Cragar wheels had steel inserts cast into them for welding. This one doesn't have that.