The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Picking A Floor Jack (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161328)

Arrowsmith 05-20-2020 11:22 PM

Delete

Bill Pritchard 05-21-2020 12:09 AM

I had a Walker (the muffler people) hydraulic floor jack (it was actually made by Lincoln) since the mid 1970s. Always worked great. Well, several years ago the seals in the hyd cylinder finally gave out. I found a place in Phoenix that rebuilds them, and it was stupid money. So I went out and bought a Chinese jack from Sears. Every time I used it I was not happy. It worked, but didn't have the same ease of mobility and smooth operation like my 'old friend'. So guess what....I took my old friend to the place in Phoenix and told them "I don't care what it costs, I want it fixed". Of course my wife loves it when she hears me tell people that :D Also told them I DO NOT want it painted....I want all the 'battle scars' left the way they are. Well, they did a great job fixing it and it works as good as it ever did, but I was disappointed that they painted it :( Oh well, I got over that quickly.

muscle_collector 05-21-2020 01:34 AM

ive got a Lincoln ive had for 40 years. still works great. always been indoors. hate to think what it would cost new today. but for my everyday ones and they usually stay outside in the weather, I have been using the harbor freight 3 ton ones. they are used a lot and the two I have now, one is around 10 years old other one is around 5 years old. both still work good.

flyingn 05-21-2020 01:58 AM

I have a 3 ton aluminum pittsburgh from HF and its a great jack. https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-64544.html
My father in law has a older Lincoln USA made jack that hes only used 3 times sitting in his garage he gave me but its a tank. Weights so much. The alum one is much better for me to use

67since67 05-21-2020 04:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I like this Milwaukee, made in America and priced accordingly.
When I researched jacks several years ago this was the only American made I could find. All the good old jack mfg names have been bought by chineese companies. At that time one of them, Walker or Lincoln IIRC, had been brought back for assembly in Kansas using imported parts. (I guess that is supposed to fool us?)

wvhylander 05-21-2020 05:20 AM

This thread may explain why I had so many people contacted me over the weekend to purchase my 30 year old 2 ton Hien Werner jack for $45. The thing was a tank and a PITA to drag around. Good riddance, I've got 2 harbor freight jacks that are light weights, when they die I'll buy another or put the car on the lift.

X66 714 05-21-2020 10:52 AM

I've had a Lincoln for probably 40 years & I've had to rebuilt before. It's heavy but has always done the job. I would hate to replace it. It's the best....Joe

Billohio 05-21-2020 01:37 PM

We have a 40 year old one that is the one to trust in the shop. I got a harbor frieght aluminum for christmas and it leaks down. I have what I think is a big red from tractor supply and it leaks down. Might complain about my christmas present when I take the jacks stands back. My dad said did I get you those jack stands for christmas?? Yeah funny

I looked for made in the usa jack stands and found none. crazy

Steve Shauger 05-21-2020 01:46 PM

I replaced my floor jacks with lightweight aluminum. My old steel versions were too heavy although they still worked. The new ones are easy to transport. I know one is a harbor freight. No leak down so far....

ORIGLS6 05-21-2020 04:08 PM

I have two, big heavy steel floor jacks from NAPA that I've had for well over 15 years. No issues with either one of them so far. I also have two of the lightweight aluminum jacks from HF. Same deal; no issues so far.

A good friend bought one of the HF jacks like mine and it failed within a couple of weeks. BUT, ................. he exceeded the limits of the jack quite a bit. Common sense guys. That's a big factor.