The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   spatter paint (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163349)

X66 714 09-29-2020 12:51 PM

spatter paint

1 Attachment(s)
Has anybody used this product? Opinions? The body shop purchased it for my 69 Camaro...Thank you, Joe

NorCam 09-29-2020 01:16 PM

Have you opened it up to see how it mixes and what the particles float like Joe. I got a quart of the stuff Heartbeat sells and I'm going to open it here in the coming days to see what it's like. In a few weeks, we'll spray it out and test it through a shutz gun before we put it to use.

Curious if the two products look alike in the quart can.

X66 714 09-29-2020 02:21 PM

Haven't looked yet. The can says do not shake but to gently stir. It also says to shoot a base colour first...Joe

L16pilot 09-29-2020 08:25 PM

I have not used The Parts Place product, but have used Zolatone which I believe is very similar. Takes some practice getting the gun set up and the results were so-so. Better than the aerosol trunk spatter paints, but ended up doing a two-stage process of applying the base first in epoxy followed by a separate application of the aqua spatter using single stage urethane. Took a couple of hours experimenting with pressures and technique for the spatter and ab out a minute to do the actual application. For clarification, mine is a Norwood car that has more of a droplet appearance than the LA stringy appearance. IMO, well worth the time and effort to do the two-stage process.

BCreekDave 09-29-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L16pilot (Post 1516322)
I have not used The Parts Place product, but have used Zolatone which I believe is very similar. Takes some practice getting the gun set up and the results were so-so. Better than the aerosol trunk spatter paints, but ended up doing a two-stage process of applying the base first in epoxy followed by a separate application of the aqua spatter using single stage urethane. Took a couple of hours experimenting with pressures and technique for the spatter and ab out a minute to do the actual application. For clarification, mine is a Norwood car that has more of a droplet appearance than the LA stringy appearance. IMO, well worth the time and effort to do the two-stage process.

Pictures? C'mon Steve. :worship:

L16pilot 09-29-2020 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go Dave. As a side note, I used the original unrestored trunk finish in my 05C Norwood car to duplicate efforts in my 03A Norwood project. In doing so, the "Black" appears to be a very dark gray, so I mixed the SPI epoxy base to match...then worked on the setup and my technique to approximate the spatter size and density.

Billohio 09-30-2020 01:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Z has the dark epoxy base coat and then the gun was set up to spit an aqua spatter. Turned out great
Picture makes it look metallic! Looks better in person

randy27 09-30-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billohio (Post 1516351)
My Z has the dark epoxy base coat and then the gun was set up to spit an aqua spatter. Turned out great
Picture makes it look metallic! Looks better in person

That looks good! We will be working on buddy's Z soon after we finished installing the shocks and m/t tires on the current Wrangler project. Bet he'll that combination of epoxy base coat and aqua spatter for the Z.

Billohio 10-02-2020 02:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a picture of the can of green used on mine. It is PPG shopline code 43816. Looks a bit minty on the can. On top of the dark base it doesnt look very green
Picture is of the paper used to cover what was not painted

Danzo 10-11-2020 12:32 PM

Anyone try this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guru-Colors...EAAOSwgbhaTSK6