The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   small town Oklahoma dealer (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=132832)

Lynn 06-16-2015 03:20 AM

small town Oklahoma dealer

Went by a shop about closing time this evening. Drove my Z just to make sure I got the owner's attention.

This shop was a Chevrolet dealer for many years. Was in business at least well into the 80's as the original owner worked there until 1982. It is now a father son shop. Get this: the dad worked in the Chevrolet dealer shop back in the 60's, and later bought the building from the family. Is this going somewhere, you ask? Well yes, I just don't know exactly where yet.

So, I am talking to son and ask if he has any idea what the dealer code was (I am still hoping to find dealer 833 in zone 23). He says no, don't have a clue. Then calls dad over. He doesn't know either. Then son says, "you know we have all that old paperwork in the attic". Hmm. I have no idea what all they have, but he says he remembers several muscle cars from late 60's early 70's including a 4 speed 70 Monte Carlo. Then he says I can come back, go up in the attic and look through "all that paperwork". I have no idea what I am going to find, but at the very least am hopeful I will find a dealer code. It will be one more piece of the puzzle I can give NCRS for their data base, as I know for a fact this dealer is not in their current data base of zone 23 dealers. I hate attics, so will either have to go very early one morning, or wait until fall.
Keeping my fingers crossed I find someone's cool paperwork.

scuncio 06-16-2015 03:36 AM

Re: small town Oklahoma dealer

Awesome!! Keep us in the loop on your find....

PeteLeathersac 06-16-2015 04:23 AM

Cool news Lynn, now get digging!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

mssl72 06-16-2015 07:02 AM

Wow, that is cool news!! Dig into it and see what you find. There's gotta be something!
If I was closer I'd come and help.

TAR6569 06-16-2015 01:29 PM

Wow, that sounds like a great find! I wonder if they would part with the paperwork. I'd love to get more fullsize and Corvair stuff for the research.

miket1 06-18-2015 07:28 PM

Great deal

Drew Papsun 11-09-2015 11:49 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lynn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went by a shop about closing time this evening. Drove my Z just to make sure I got the owner's attention.

This shop was a Chevrolet dealer for many years. Was in business at least well into the 80's as the original owner worked there until 1982. It is now a father son shop. Get this: the dad worked in the Chevrolet dealer shop back in the 60's, and later bought the building from the family. Is this going somewhere, you ask? Well yes, I just don't know exactly where yet.

So, I am talking to son and ask if he has any idea what the dealer code was (I am still hoping to find dealer 833 in zone 23). He says no, don't have a clue. Then calls dad over. He doesn't know either. Then son says, &quot;you know we have all that old paperwork in the attic&quot;. Hmm. I have no idea what all they have, but he says he remembers several muscle cars from late 60's early 70's including a 4 speed 70 Monte Carlo. Then he says I can come back, go up in the attic and look through &quot;all that paperwork&quot;. I have no idea what I am going to find, but at the very least am hopeful I will find a dealer code. It will be one more piece of the puzzle I can give NCRS for their data base, as I know for a fact this dealer is not in their current data base of zone 23 dealers. I hate attics, so will either have to go very early one morning, or wait until fall.
Keeping my fingers crossed I find someone's cool paperwork. </div></div>

Hello Lynn,
I want to know that you have gone back to search for the paperwork?
When will you let us know what you find there?
Regards,
Drew Papsun

Lynn 11-10-2015 01:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just saw the owner Sat. at the hardware store, and will be going by one day soon. Sherri and I have been buried. We (not sure why) agreed to put our home on the holiday home tour of historic homes in Downtown Guthrie.

Just removed a sad looking safety rail in the upstairs game room and installed this cool iron railing. It was repurposed from the fencing we took down in favor or some 1860's vintage cast iron hoop and spear fencing. Was glad to find a use for it. And luckily, I recently picked up a Snap On 120 mig welder with a broken switch for $100 so I was able to make the final welds on it up stairs. That way I didn't have to bolt it together. You can see just a little of the old railing in the first pic. White 2x4 and 4x4 construction. Just didn't look right with all the other improvements we have made.

Definitely will update when I get to those docs.

NickZ 11-13-2015 02:09 AM

Wonder why the different size bricks throughout the walls? Love the look.

Lynn 11-13-2015 03:24 AM

Several reasons. The walls are five bricks thick, and they used varying sizes from two different plants. They would stagger bricks, laying some east west, and others north south. There were also areas where wood was mortared in place so they could hang things on the wall with nails.

Also, that large wall used to have windows and they were bricked up decades ago. I believe part of the wall was plastered at one time. You can see huge grinder marks left from an 8 to 10 inch grinder where the plaster was ground off.