The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Hidden VIN does not match VIN plate or paperwork (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156035)

70-SS/RS-L78 07-15-2019 11:39 AM

Hidden VIN does not match VIN plate or paperwork

By any chance has anyone hear ever purchased a car or done any kind of business with Sabetta’s Classics in Orville Ohio? One of our customers purchased a 69 Camaro Convertible from them that was supposed to be a SS but after looking closely at the car it turns out that it is just a regular Camaro, not a SS. After digging deeper it is not only a cloan SS but the hidden VINs do not match. :dunno:This is the first musclecar the buyer has ever purchased so he is learning the hard way. He has been calling them and trying to contact the dealership but they will not answer or return his calls. He asked me what his what his options are and I told him I would look into it.....
Mark

Charley Lillard 07-15-2019 01:08 PM

Leave them a voicemail letting them know if you don't hear from them you will be contacting the police. Might very well be a stolen car they sold your customer.

DW31S 07-15-2019 02:07 PM

“Oh what a web we weave.....” Curious to see how this plays out.

marxjunk 07-15-2019 04:09 PM

i wouldnt even leave a message...just call the cops..they will handle it all...

prob not stolen...just a re-tag...still fraud..

lawyer up so you have representation and hang 'em high

RST 07-15-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley Lillard (Post 1455159)
Leave them a voicemail letting them know if you don't hear from them you will be contacting the police. Might very well be a stolen car they sold your customer.

What Charley said :)

mssl72 07-15-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DW31S (Post 1455172)
“Oh what a web we weave.....” Curious to see how this plays out.

I curious too! I'll be watching. Where did our popcorn smiley go?

fiveforty 07-15-2019 07:48 PM

There is really no way to determine what the car was or if even stolen. Could be a VIN 123 or 124 car. For some reason one of the #s come back stolen you would definately lose the car on the spot. Even with mismatced VINs could they take the car? Think I would do a little homework myself first and work the dealer.

bbbentley 07-16-2019 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveforty (Post 1455211)
There is really no way to determine what the car was or if even stolen.

Yes there is. There have been cars found in recent years reported stolen eons ago. And, any of the numbers found will be suspect. If something doesn’t check out, it will be confiscated. But why would the buyer want to keep a tainted car anyway? Like said, fraud, at the least. The fact the dealer does not want to address this makes it appear they were aware or complicit in the car’s dubious past.

Quote:

For some reason one of the #s come back stolen you would definately lose the car on the spot. Even with mismatced VINs could they take the car?

Yes. The fact that any number does not jive, spells deception. Best to get the law involved, and soon, before those guys ( sellers) leave the country.

GotGrunt 07-16-2019 02:43 AM

Quote:

There is really no way to determine what the car was or if even stolen. Could be a VIN 123 or 124 car. For some reason one of the #s come back stolen you would definately lose the car on the spot. Even with mismatced VINs could they take the car? Think I would do a little homework myself first and work the dealer.

I would also be concerned about the car being confiscated. I wouldn’t want to be the last guy holding the bag. After losing the car, you may or may not be able to get your money back. It sounds like a lose-lose situation however you look at it. I would try to work with the dealer first before getting the law involved.

69L78 07-16-2019 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70-SS/RS-L78 (Post 1455153)
By any chance has anyone hear ever purchased a car or done any kind of business with Sabetta’s Classics in Orville Ohio? One of our customers purchased a 69 Camaro Convertible from them that was supposed to be a SS but after looking closely at the car it turns out that it is just a regular Camaro, not a SS. After digging deeper it is not only a cloan SS but the hidden VINs do not match. :dunno:This is the first musclecar the buyer has ever purchased so he is learning the hard way. He has been calling them and trying to contact the dealership but they will not answer or return his calls. He asked me what his what his options are and I told him I would look into it.....
Mark

I would contact Bryan Shook who is also a member here, he specializes in these kind of cases. His webpage is vintagecarlaw.com