The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Air Induction- The Real Scoop (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175347)

Steve Shauger 04-17-2023 08:05 PM

Air Induction- The Real Scoop

8 Attachment(s)
The function of air induction systems goals are to provide cooler dense air and providing positive air pressure, providing a ram-air effect. To achieve this, many configurations were used. Some systems were purely functional and some were focused on both aesthetics and function.

There is something about the sound of a ZL2 (Super Scoop/Cowl Induction) hood when the solenoid opens, and the beast beneath the hood roars as the cooler air rams into the carburetor.

My favorite hood scoop is the 1970 Dodge Scat Scoop, although I've never owned a vehicle equipped with one.

What is your favorite, and why!!!! How about a picture of your scoop.

Keith Seymore 04-17-2023 08:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's the car PMD/Royal developed the tripower "Ram Air" system on.

This air pan was made in the Pontiac Engineering experimental metal shop. We got it from Dick Jesse.

K

Keith Seymore 04-17-2023 08:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
In spite of all that, this is my favorite.

To me, it is unparalleled in terms of function, appearance and craftsmanship.

The consistency in the material thickness around the scoop opening is just beautiful compared to aftermarket fiberglass parts.

K

Keith Seymore 04-17-2023 09:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is up there, though.

Pretty dang clever to take an existing Ford part and slap a Pontiac part number on it.

The older I get the more respect I have for Mr Wangers & Co.

K

Keith Seymore 04-17-2023 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As an aside, here is my contribution to the General's profitability.

This was my first design/release assignment. I did the engine air induction system for the GMT800 versions of full size truck, released in 1999. Many of the parts are still in production.

I did one common air cleaner housing across all models. There was a light duty version with an optional HD element, and the HD element was standard on the bigger engines.

Same box was used for V6, three small block V8s, the big block and then diesel versions, with specific helmholtz resonators and quarter wave tuners depending on the engine.

I met all of the requirements for air flow, restriction and inlet air temperatures, even though (in hindsight) they were kind of over the top. Met the water ingestion requirement, too, as water is nightmare fuel for induction engineers.

K

jer 04-17-2023 09:33 PM

You did that? My 01 6.0 HD makes an audible growl when pushed.....I'm always assured it's getting plenty of air, and the exhaust seems to flow just fine also.

Xplantdad 04-17-2023 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 1620552)
In spite of all that, this is my favorite.

To me, it is unparalleled in terms of function, appearance and craftsmanship.

The consistency in the material thickness around the scoop opening is just beautiful.

K

The Formula Firebird hood is the best! :worship:

Too Many Projects 04-17-2023 10:25 PM

Fun article to read, but the first mention of Chevrolet's induction being completely wrong was a bit of a turn off. We all know, no '69 Z or '70 Chevelle were ever outfitted with the system described and shown in the pic as they claim...:no:

https://www.yenko.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1681761878

Mr70 04-18-2023 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was originally marketed by Chevrolet as their "Power Bulge" hood on the 1970 Chevelle.
Mine.. :)

Keith Seymore 04-18-2023 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jer (Post 1620556)
You did that? My 01 6.0 HD makes an audible growl when pushed.....I'm always assured it's getting plenty of air, and the exhaust seems to flow just fine also.

What? It's not supposed to...

(lol)

Seriously, though, since it was sized for the diesel (which flows max air flow all the time) all of the other engines reap the benefit of the additional flow capacity.

Me and the exhaust guys (note: one induction engineer, two exhaust engineers) were always trading off who was going to be the choke point in the system. I recall it ended up being them.

;)

K