The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar Features (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Grady Burch's 1969 COPO Chevelle! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157978)

m22mike 11-14-2019 11:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures of the discovery phase :eek2:

When Grady and Phil looked at the car they came away thinking the quarters wear not to bad and they might be saved, not the case. The left one had been replaced, and of coarse it was scabbed in at the sale panel. It was early on based on the black and white GM part# sticker I found. The other quarter had a bunch of patches, hammered in and filled with filler. There was so much filler that the rear wheel opening lips had lost the definition, Phil spotted this at my place when I first got the car. You gotta' love 40+ year old body work, very creative :crazy:

Another of the customized tail light panel with the trim removed and cob webbed.

m22mike 11-14-2019 11:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more repairs found

m22mike 11-14-2019 01:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The once replaced left quarter panel. Note the older white and black GM part number sticker.

The Gas tank Story.
Grady, Phil and myself, and the previous owner of the car could never exactly figure out what the hump in the trunk was. We all have seen the car from time to time going back 15 or more years.
The hump was made of fiberglass and after I dropped the tank it was now clear why it was there. For reasons unknown a tank from a 73 and later Chevelle was used. After sharing pictures with a friend, he was the one that identified the tank usage. The trunk pad was very hacked up with replacement panels as needed.

napa68 11-14-2019 03:00 PM

Hats off to both of you guys (Grady and Mike)! I wish I could see the car at MCACN. Won't be able to make it this year

Tim

m22mike 11-15-2019 03:39 PM

7 Attachment(s)
On to gutting the back of the car. AMD trunk pan, rear tail light panel, package tray, lower back glass panel, and trunk drop off panels. All AMD, nice stuff, full gauge as OEM. Quarters are older GM.

m22mike 11-15-2019 03:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The inner wheel house's were not rusted up, however the old school trunk panels were all brazed in, impossible to remove, YUK.

Patches were hand fabbed as needed.

mockingbird812 11-15-2019 05:23 PM

Dat boy's got talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying Undertaker 11-16-2019 05:38 PM

Mike & Grady: Nice work on that Earl Evans COPO! Looks like surprises lurked around every corner, but your expertise got them all straightened out! See you both at MCACN. Don.

NorCam 11-17-2019 01:26 AM

Amazing work once again Mike. I love the attention to detail throughout the car. It really shows how you guys have dialed it right in. Also love how you guys managed to keep this one so quiet until now.

Hope to meet you guys in Chicago next week. Congrats on the MCR coverage as well.

Cheers...G

m22mike 11-17-2019 02:09 AM

Yes, please stop by, would like to see you. I might be taking a nap behind the cars so wake me up...:naughty:

Mike