The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   COPO - United States (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Original COPO Motor Found (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148808)

KNAPPY 05-03-2018 08:38 PM

Original COPO Motor Found

Just wanted to give Doug Perry (COPO Cartel) and his buddy Dave a big thanks for locating the original motor for the car I purchased last summer. The car was discussed here.

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthrea...mans+blue+copo

This is not the first time Doug has found info on my COPO's. He found a lot of the original paperwork on my other car. I am amazed how many COPO cars and parts they have found.
This website and the members are great.

Thanks
Steve

mockingbird812 05-03-2018 09:01 PM

Congrats Knappy’s!!! That’s got to make your day!! Nicely played Doug!:headbang:

Steve Shauger 05-03-2018 10:46 PM

Well done Doug. A big congratulations to the owner of the car and a big thanks to Doug helping out a fellow hobbyist. :beers:

PeteLeathersac 05-03-2018 11:01 PM

'

Cool news and big congrats!
Way to go Doug and looking forward to hearing more of the story.
:beers:
~ Pete

wheelhop 05-03-2018 11:25 PM

Doug is one of the best! great news

ruralrte66 05-03-2018 11:41 PM

What a great story, cant wait to here more.
Great Job Doug.

Copo_Cartel 05-04-2018 10:51 AM

Steve ..when we realized that the motor was a Copo block we got excited ....Jason Ball (JBALL) located the block in Kentucky ...so Dave McGaffee and myself drove down to northern Kentucky to inspect and negotiate the purchase of the motor. The owner was a savvy parts guy that had owned it for 12 years and he knew that it was a Copo motor. Knowing the motor was so close to Cincinnati (10 minutes) I knew it had to belong to a Cincinnati sold Copo ...and your Copo just happen to be sold from King Chevrolet in Cincinnati. After seeing the vin down by the oil filter as well as deck stamp /broach marks...and comparing the 2...I knew it had to be a May built car. So I went to Super Car registry here on the site and located and matched up the vin to your car. I contacted Bergy (Bruce) to give him the good news that we found the motor and to ask him to update the site with your original motor in the registry. I was amazed at the great condition of the motor and to see it was still standard bore . Jason Ball was the main guy that got all of this started...kuddos to him. Dave and I have also found Yenko Camaro block 615934... according to the registry the car is a hugger orange vinyl top car that sold new out of Colonial Chevrolet in Virginia ...but we have yet to find the car/owner. If anyone is interested I have a couple sets of Copo ring and pinions for sale ...1 is dated great for a 69 Copo Camaro and the other is dated great for a Yenk Deuce Nova . Thanks to all involved and this site to make this happen. Steve you are a lucky guy...first we found paperwork to your 10 10 Black Copo sold new here in town at Maxton Chevrolet and now the motor to your blue Copo...get a lottery ticket. Lol. Doug 614-203-1272

mockingbird812 05-04-2018 12:54 PM

Doug (Great back story), Jason, Dave, youse guys are da BOMB! Man, what a team. Just astounds me the wonderful support we enjoy 'round this place. Lovin' it!:biggthumpup:

The Boss 05-04-2018 12:55 PM

This board has an amazing wealth of information and cooperation.

Congratulations on the find!

dustinm 05-04-2018 01:09 PM

Outstanding!

firstgenaddict 05-04-2018 07:45 PM

Congratulations... WOW, can't believe the engine turned up... maybe the trans and rear could be located as well.

The King car will be beautiful when done, were you able to determine which wheels the car had originally? Lemans Blue Rear ant - console gauges.

I should have waited and never have told the owner what he had...

KNAPPY 05-04-2018 09:28 PM

What's even crazier is that this is the 3rd original motor I have found with the help of this website. I Have found the original motors for both of my 67 Z-28's.

Steve

Copo_Cartel 05-04-2018 10:06 PM

Reading back thru the original King Chevrolet Copo thread ....I could tell there were some people doubting the car being a real Copo...now this motor legitimizes all possible questions. It was a great treasure hunt for sure.

Stefano 05-04-2018 11:54 PM

Congrats!

Copo_Cartel 05-05-2018 12:21 AM

Steve ..only if your time permits ...I would be honored to deliver the motor and parts to you at this year’s Super Car Reunion in Bowling Green Ky July 27-29. This would shorten your trip from Texas by about 12 hours. I know you are busy with work ..so please consider . Thanks. Doug

scuncio 05-05-2018 01:23 AM

Nice work Jason and Doug, just amazing.

68 DANA 05-05-2018 02:46 AM

Great to see the original motor reunited back with the car. Outstanding and job well done to all involved!

enio45 05-05-2018 03:52 AM

Wow - great work guys.....

big69fan 05-10-2018 02:47 AM

67 Z/28 motor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KNAPPY (Post 1399740)
What's even crazier is that this is the 3rd original motor I have found with the help of this website. I Have found the original motors for both of my 67 Z-28's.

Steve

Hey Steve glad to hear that the 302 made it safely to Texas and is being reunited with the car. Looking forward to seeing pics as you make progress in the restoration.

KNAPPY 05-10-2018 04:01 AM

Hey Ron,

The 67 Z motor made it here in good shape. Probably be a little while before I start on that one. I will keep you up dated.

Steve

iluv69s 05-10-2018 02:54 PM

Cool story...congrats !!! And finding 2 67 Z motors !!! Wow !!

JBALL 05-10-2018 04:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the block and heads as found. They had been wrapped up and in storage since 2007. 15 minutes from my house. Glad to see that they are going to the car after all these years! That also means my block for my car is still out there!

Congrats again Steve.

Craig_Maiorana 05-10-2018 10:52 PM

Did you make sure your OG motor wasn't in there as well Jay? hahaha ... Seems that guy has some serious parts stashed there

KNAPPY 05-10-2018 11:57 PM

Makes you wonder how many other shops have a COPO motor stashed in them.

Steve

firstgenaddict 02-01-2019 01:49 PM

You aren't kidding... There are so many which we could repair that people have written off as junk as well...
I know of a complete carb to pan L89 engine with 69 Chevelle VIN purchased from a machine shop which was closing... the engine had been sitting on the floor of the shop since Early 70's. All dates are right in alignment and all parts are virgin unmolested.

I wonder where the rear got lost... from what I understood from the man who had it when I discovered it at C&C back in 2015 the KING car came out of Tennessee about 8-10 years ago. - which does get it closer to Cinci -

Did the engine owner remember where he acquired the parts?

FWIW the coolest thing in the world is the baby having it's diaper changed on the hood of the Lemans Blue COPO!

:worship: HANDS DOWN MOST KILLER CHANGING TABLE EVER!!!! :worship:

jl8z28 02-01-2019 08:20 PM

You never know what will turn up my buddy John Haislip found Heartbeat citys ZL1 motor sitting in Coleman brothers speed shop that had been there since the car was new and finally reunited it back with the car

Unreal 02-03-2019 12:29 PM

I met a guy in Ohio who found a COPO Chevelle motor at a race shop. He took down the numbers, and searched DMV and found the current owner. He contacted the guy and bought the car, bench seat, auto on column. You just never know.

DW31S 02-05-2019 03:16 PM

Great job to all involved. This kinda stuff restores the faith in the hobby. Not everyone holds rare parts for ransom.