The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   BFG Radial TA's vs. GY Polyglas bias plys (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131237)

flyingn 03-02-2015 04:24 PM

BFG Radial TA's vs. GY Polyglas bias plys

I have a set of BFG Radial TA's on my restored 71 Torino GT and was thinking of popping for a set of Goodyear Polygas GT's in F60-15's. How bad of a decision is this? Everyone says it will handle and wander really bad as compared to the BFG's. Its going to be a show/cruise night weekend car. Give me some opinions, please

Zman1969 03-02-2015 04:45 PM

Re: BFG Radial TA's vs. GY Polyglas bias plys

I havent done this swap, but if you look arould I havent seen one positive post on how they ride
I love the look but between the cost(some up to 300$ a tire!)and the poor ride I just cant see doing it sure others will chime in that have driven on them
another observation is they usually take a lot of weights to balance them [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]

flyingn 03-02-2015 04:59 PM

Actually, these firestones would be correct with my torino

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styl...-oval-rwl.html

anyone??

CanCOPO 03-02-2015 05:24 PM

I had original polyglass on my SuperBee and took them off and changed to Coopers. Its much more fun. The Bee tended to float quite bad. My COPO had polyglass and it was scary. The 69 Z has BFs and handles OK but way better than the polyglass

earntaz 03-02-2015 05:40 PM

BLUF -- a big step back in technology ... stay with the BFGs unless the vehicle is a carpet car and has to be correct.

68l30 03-02-2015 06:07 PM

I like the way my Wide-Treds, Polyglass and Speedway Wide-Treds (nylon) track. It's the way they were meant to be driven. Traction (from a dead stop) is much better too, just ask the Pure stock and FAST guys....

If I wanted a nice safe boring ride I'd drive a Prius.

BIG

Mr.Nickey Nova 03-02-2015 06:21 PM

I don't have any problem with the Polyglass or the Wide Ovals. The Sportcar 200's on my 69 Z suck. I guess it depends on how much you drive your car. I put a few hundred miles on each of my cars a year, so I'll put up with the ride. Plus, the older cars look so much better with the bias ply tires than the radials.

galveston 03-02-2015 06:27 PM

If I wanted a nice safe boring ride I'd drive a Prius.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img]

roeville 03-02-2015 06:36 PM

Yes, I made this exact swap (BFG's to Polyglas GT's) but I used a second set of original wheels figuring I would go back to the BFG's. I have not gone back since I made the change two years ago. To me, It was worth putting up with the tendencies of a bias-ply equipped car to have the original look. Don't get me wrong, radials are superior but I've found the car to be very drivable the way it was originally designed. I can still remember when there was no option to go to radials. - Mike

PS: Car is a 71 Z28 with manual steering

VintageMusclecar 03-02-2015 07:26 PM

I took a set of Polyglas' (F70's and L60's) off of my `67 Chevelle and replaced them with BFG Radials on the front and M/T ET Street Radials (275/60/15) in the rear. It's definitely different, but not as much as I expected it to be.

Still can't beat the Goodyears for aesthetics. They'll be on another set of wheels for the car soon.