The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Snap On cart restorations (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174172)

MosportGreen66 12-31-2022 10:21 PM

Snap On cart restorations

7 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys, I figured you’d enjoy these.

I found some reasonably inexpensive Snap On carts that were in less than desirable condition however rust free and largely dent free. In both examples I disassembled the carts, stripped the trays/drawers, had a local powder coater dust some new color, and I got to work polishing chrome, cleaning casters. In the push cart specifically, I had to have decals made for it. I think they came out great! Here are as-purchased pics direct from the for sale ads.

Anyone have experience restoring tool boxes?

Happy New Year!

Dan

MosportGreen66 12-31-2022 10:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Stand up drawer is actually a KR491A which looked like this originally - diagnostic tool. I have new drawer trim coming from Snap On. Dave already put it to good use storing L89 goodies!

MosportGreen66 12-31-2022 10:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the push cart. Amazing what a couple hundred bucks will do a quality made product.

Too Many Projects 01-01-2023 12:18 AM

Very nice !

I have a Matco roller cab I bought new in the late 70's that needs a restoration like that. Another of my "some day" excuses.

Crush 01-01-2023 03:57 PM

Those look awesome I’m gonna start looking on craigslist see if I can find some to restore I need a couple rolling carts.

dykstra 01-01-2023 04:00 PM

Those carts turned out sweet!!! Great job.

cook_dw 01-01-2023 04:06 PM

Nice work.

Keith Seymore 01-01-2023 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've never done a Snap on tool box or cart, but I did redo this garage heater.

When I started it looked like it had been buried at sea for about 200 years.

I took alot of crap for that until, when telling the story, one of my co-workers described restoring his dad's vintage trash can (with a flip up lid).

K

67since67 01-01-2023 06:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the start of an epic thread Dan!
I have this same cart that you may remember seeing in my shop, it has been a workhorse for me going back to my days as Chevy dealership heavy repair tech more than 40 years ago.
Some of you may remember my '64 vintage Craftsman box in our display at MCACN. Rust-Oleum Hammered Gray is an excellent match for Craftsman gray. - Bill W

Keith Seymore 01-01-2023 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That gray Craftsman box brings back memories.

For years that was the only tool box dad had (and later, me as well).

When we would go racing he would set the tool box in the trunk of the GTO, where it would stay until after we had crossed the scales.

We both laughed when we saw this 1/43rd scale GTO with a grey toolbox in the trunk and knew we had to have it.

K