The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical & Restoration (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   This is on my 70 W30 any idea what it is? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152892)

sixt9rsx33 01-12-2019 09:49 PM

This is on my 70 W30 any idea what it is?

2 Attachment(s)
This plug looks like it has been taped up for a long time. This part on the intake looks like it needs the wire plug connected. Any idea what this is for?

dvss1 01-12-2019 10:01 PM

tcs solenoid. Transmission control spark solenoid.

firstgenaddict 01-13-2019 01:42 AM

Lawrence, I would bet that the TCS switches work the same across lines. The reason I mention it is 1970 & 1972 Corvette with auto and 4 speed also uses a vacuum solenoid, I know that it operates in 3rd and 4th on the manual, don't remember about the auto operations - but there are extensive threads on the NCRS forums regarding them -due to operations judging.
I let a local NCRS member borrow my 70-72 Judging guide or I would tell you when it operates.
On my LT1 it blocks vacuum advance in 3rd and 4th when the accelerator is not depressed... basically in a high speed coasting situation.

sixt9rsx33 01-13-2019 02:02 AM

So I guess it should be connected? Is there a reason it should remain disconnected?

firstgenaddict 01-13-2019 12:52 PM

Should be connected, mine wasn't connected after I connected it I had to retune the carb, the distributor etc - the car wouldn't run because it changed the vacuum for a 20 sec delay at startup- so beware - if the hoses are not connected or the switches/solenoids are not right you may change the advance settings at idle and or in drive etc. - I know that the Autos also kick the idle up when the ac is on and in drive, the operations appear complex, however if you have one you will see they are really not too complicated.

Quite often their operation is mis understood or just deemed as emissions crap the first time there is an ignition/timing problem - plus I do not believe any judging organization besides the Corvette sphere judges the operations of TCS and CEC systems of the cars of the early 70's... all of the early vacuum breaks/solenoids and etc were phased out by the late 70's.

sixt9rsx33 01-19-2019 12:33 PM

James, I may be calling you on this. I will connect and see what happens. Car runs great so hate to mess that up, but I want all the original as designed systems working, so will plug it in. The tape that surrounds the connection looks like it was put in place in 1970!

207 01-21-2019 02:25 AM

The solenoid was used on all Oldsmobile models in 1970. Then in 1971 on 350 engines with a manual transmission. The bracket is unique to a 455 application. The 350 bracket is slightly different with “350” stamped in to it. The solenoid is the same number through the 2 years 1114428 I believe. A reproduction is available, but looks not close to the OE one. It probably functions properly though. Hope this helps. They pop up from time to time NOS.

sixt9rsx33 01-26-2019 12:16 PM

Thanks for the info on my W30. I really enjoy the originality of the this car.

sixt9rsx33 01-27-2019 12:32 PM

So I got around to unwrapping the TCS plug yesterday and found a resistor jumped between the two connectors. I went ahead and cleaned it up and plugged it in. The car seemed to shift a little smoother, but I can't say with conviction. I did not drive it long so perhaps more change to come. I will do so today.
Thanks