The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Gratitude! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165394)

mhm1966 01-26-2021 08:09 PM

Gratitude!

I have used this site for many things; asking questions for specific information and data, selling my GM NOS parts, posting pictures of muscle car sales brochures, and sales advertisements of Motion Performance, and Berger Chevrolet, etc. I am a NCRS judge who has enjoyed Corvettes for the last forty years. However, I have always had a passion for 1969 Z/28's. This passion started in high school as three of my friends had brand new 1969 Z28's. The fun we had remained with me over the years. Since my knowledge was limited about finding a original 1969 Z/28, I came to this website once again to learn more and locate a 1969 Z/28 with an original drivetrain.
Well, with the help of two members Mike Jones (Jonesy) and Bob Shubin (302Z) we not only found a 1969 Z/28 with the original drivetrain, but with the original carburetor, distributor, radiator, alternator, pulleys, fan blade, fan clutch, front grille, rear 1/4 panels, deck lid, and many hard to find small pieces that I see here for sale on this site. Its members like Mike and Bob that keep this hobby alive.
Now I am in search of a restoration shop in the New Jersey area that has the ability and knowledge to restore this car like it came of the assembly line in 1969. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SS427 01-26-2021 08:22 PM

I talked to you the other day and gave you some leads on a couple shops out east. Hopefully you were able to touch base with them. Good guys for sure.
Rick

70 Forest Green Zee 01-27-2021 02:23 PM

I would recommend that you ship the car to Rick....he is literally one of the best in the business and his restorations are breath taking! You won't find another that will take the time he does to do everything just like the factory...he did a 1970 Z28 a few years back and the workmanship was second to none....and the Yenko Chevelle he did left me speechless!

x77-69z28 01-27-2021 03:24 PM

I second that! I am still using pics that Rick sent me as reference while restoring my 70 Z/28. Incredible craftsmanship!
Buddy

firstgenaddict 01-27-2021 04:26 PM

Congrats on finding the "right" car with it's original components.
Can't wait to see a thread on your restoration!
I come to Yenko almost every day... however on first gen camaro specific items the CRG is the authority.
Camaro Research Group.
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php

FWIW Some people think the NCRS is detail oriented... having been involved in both - the NCRS has nothing on the first gen camaro guys.

mhm1966 01-27-2021 07:23 PM

Rick and I have spoken on the phone. Rick sure would be my first choice. I am trying to find a closer shop to me (New Jersey) because I will be doing a lot of the mechanical work. Just do not want the travel distance when I am bringing the shop the engine, transmission, and rear end.

Unreal 01-27-2021 08:59 PM

Consider Supercar Workshop and Frank Arrone for paint and body. Latrobe, PA and Homer City, PA, respectively.

njsteve 01-27-2021 09:02 PM

Personally, I would much rather have a body/paint man I trust do the car regardless of the location, and then have the car transported back (to you) for assembly.

I have heard it has been done successfully before. ;-)

And it gives you more room in the grarage to work on the parts without having the body shell in the way.

DW31S 01-27-2021 11:36 PM

I think you need to decide what you wanna do with your car after the restoration.....that might help determine who you have restore it. Do you want a trailer queen to chase points? Do you want it over restored without factory duplicated overspray and such? Those are just two questions, but answering them honestly would yield completely different results with respect to your restoration.

mhm1966 01-27-2021 11:51 PM

I have gone that route with the NCRS. Every nut, bolt ,screw, washer, etc. to be perfect for judging. Even though I enjoy my Corvette, I bought this car to use more often and have a good time in it. I always liked drag racing and the IRS in the Corvette in not conducive to popping the clutch. The Camaro does not have to be perfect, but I feel this car deserves a full restoration.