The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   I got my HS Camaro back! (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159884)

HuggerSS 03-08-2020 06:32 AM

I got my HS Camaro back!

There has been a couple members on the site posting about finding their old cars or finding the history of their cars. Because of that, it inspired me to re-post my experience on finding my high school car. I mentioned this story about a year ago, but it has been such a big part of my life, I thought I would re-share it;

My father helped me buy my first car in 1985. It was my dream car, looking back, I still find it to be surreal. It was a 1969 RS/SS 396/325 4 speed, Hugger Orange, black vinyl top. The car was well optioned with comfort weave interior, tach and gauges, deluxe seat belts, speed warning, tilt wheel, wood wheel, spoilers and a enduro bumper. The car was stored most of its life, completely rust free with only showing 26,000 original miles on the odometer. I loved this car and took very good care of it, but when I went to college out of state in 1991, I reluctantly had to sell the car. After college I spent numerous years looking for the car. I posting want adds on multiple forums looking for the car, I even went as far as hiring a private investigator to look for the car. After I exhausted all my possible avenues, I finally gave up.
January 14, 2019, my father unexpectantly had a heart attach in his sleep and passed away at the age of 72. This was obviously devastating for me. That week while morning, numerous odd things happened to me; My wife and I were going through some pictures to post at the wake. I picked up the first picture of my father and handed it to my wife. I started to explain the picture to her, when the light above our heads at the kitchen table exploded. Something I have never previously experienced. Another unusual experience happened the next day. I was talking to my sister on the phone before walking into a Hallmark store to get a card. My dad was a music lover, my sister mentioned to me that she just played one of his favorite songs, don’t stop the rain by CCR. After our conversation, I walked in the Hallmark store. One step after I enter through the door, the DJ on the radio station said “CCR, don’t stop the rain by request”. These two events, though being odd, I just chalked them up as being a coincidence
The next day I was walking into my fathers wake, when my phone rang. I was very surprised at the time that I did not turn my phone off or leave it in the car. I also felt it was inappropriate to answer it, but I felt compelled to do so. A gentleman on the phone came right out and said; “I know where your old Camaro is and it is for sale!” He give me the name and contact information for the owner Scott. The next day I called Scott, after a long conversation I realized the car was out of my price range because I just purchased a 1968 Z28. After telling Scott my situation, he told me he would do whatever he could to make a deal work for me. I mentioned to him I also had a 1969 RS Z28 that was a driver, that I could work into a trade. He said that was the car he was looking for and he would trade me straight up for my car back!

This story has had so many crazy variables, I feel there was much more then luck in me getting my old Camaro back... All I can say, is thank you Dad!

John 03-08-2020 12:20 PM

… Sounds like everyone was happy with your deal !

… Great story :biggthumpup:

:flag:

fortim 03-08-2020 12:49 PM

Great story! Glad the car finally made it "home"....:biggthumpup:

70 copo 03-08-2020 02:02 PM

Stories like this are rare! Happy for OP. Glad I kept my HS car all these years too.

MosportGreen66 03-08-2020 02:25 PM

Awesome story... can't wait to see pics.

Dan

Rumbleguts396 03-08-2020 02:30 PM

Great story, any current and back in the day photos to share? Thanks Rob

Charley Lillard 03-08-2020 02:35 PM

Didn't happen without pics..... :-)

scuncio 03-08-2020 03:25 PM

Great story, Paul!

69LM1 03-08-2020 08:41 PM

Great story! I'm close on mine after getting it back from paint jail.

What did it need, or does it need and where are you in the process? Are you going back exactly like you had it in high school or current taste?

R

HuggerSS 03-08-2020 09:09 PM

It got painted in 1985, so I did strip the car to metal and get it repainted. I am putting the SS hood back on it. Pictures will be posted shortly