The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercar/Musclecar Discussion (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Too Many Details. (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151150)

ZiggyL78 10-06-2018 06:43 AM

Too Many Details.

I've been fixing some small things on my 72 Chevelle SS.It has 50K original miles and has been painted once.One of previous owners had painted the frame with a gloss black spray paint.Lousy job.

The car looks stock and it's pretty nice.While I was replacing the door locks I was looking at the door panels.I noticed some water damage at the bottom of the panels.You can't really tell that it's there from the outside.Just some warping of the cardboard.I was thinking of replacing the panels.I would like to make everything perfect.

Do you think it's not a good idea to start replacing every little thing that is not perfect?Some people would say a low mileage car like this shouldn't have a lot of parts replaced.

Thanks

R68GTO 10-06-2018 11:14 AM

Just leave it alone, especially if not seen from the outside. If you replace things that are not "perfect", then you'll just end up with another restored car instead of a nice unrestored original.

x77-69z28 10-07-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R68GTO (Post 1417021)
Just leave it alone, especially if not seen from the outside. If you replace things that are not "perfect", then you'll just end up with another restored car instead of a nice unrestored original.

Ditto
Buddy

Mr70 10-07-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R68GTO (Post 1417021)

I agree to a point.If you replace a few things here & there,you'll end up with an "in between" car.
Not restored,nor an un-restored original.

firstgenaddict 10-17-2018 03:52 PM

You are not going to like REPRODUCTION DOOR PANELS... stay with the originals.

ZiggyL78 10-18-2018 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstgenaddict (Post 1418155)
You are not going to like REPRODUCTION DOOR PANELS... stay with the originals.

Right.I had to remove them to replace the locks to match up the keys.After replacing some of the door clips and reinforcing some damaged areas of the card board with hot glue,the panels look great.
Thanks

67BelAir427 10-18-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiggyL78 (Post 1418227)
Right.I had to remove them to replace the locks to match up the keys.After replacing some of the door clips and reinforcing some damaged areas of the card board with hot glue,the panels look great.
Thanks

The Ken I used to know would have ripped those panels out in a heartbeat in an quest to shave a tenth off his ET ! Now it sounds like Arts and Crafts Time with a hot glue gun.LOL