The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Olds (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Ryan Weaver's 1969 Olds Cutlass S W31 Club Coupe (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131025)

Postsedan 12-29-2015 10:13 PM

Re: Ryan Weaver's 1969 Olds Cutlass S W31 Club Coupe

HA! Nothing like car parts on the Kitchen Island while the wife is away [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Dan

JpMotorsports 12-30-2015 12:29 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ryan1969Chevelle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JpMotorsports</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would contact Dan Jensen and Pierce Racing for engine questions. </div></div>

We have talked several times, he is like a celebrity to me!! (The PSMCDR guys are salt of the earth, with a few salty dogs in the mix:-)

Ryan </div></div>

I talked to them before I changed out my ignition and installed my rebuilt original qjet for timing and tuning advice. Great guys and very friendly.

Ryan1969Chevelle 12-31-2015 12:38 AM

A little back and forth between Nick and I:-)

Me: Did &quot;we&quot; get the Italian gears?

If so, how much?

Nick:

&quot;I actually did. I found a new set of Italian made gears for $XXX including shipping. It was a close out New Year’s special, last set he had. I also scored the tail housing and a pair of Torque lock sliders. I emailed a shop in Wisconsin who may have the bolt on type shifter shafts. I am still looking for the bolt type reverse shaft.

I took all of the drive gears off the main shaft today. There are supposed to be 4 “tension” springs on the 2 slider hubs that keep the 3 “keys” in place and push the synchros forward on each shift. As you know the synchros “speed” up the next gear to be shifted which makes it smooth and reduces the possibility of grinding the gears. Well, your trans had no tension springs at all. I was going to replace them with the heavy duty type anyway but this is very odd. No worries, all will be taken care of as I have several sets of those springs. Pictures will be coming tomorrow. Had to go to the dentist this afternoon.

Nick &quot;

Me:
Wow, you are on fire!!

I took the springs before sending it to you as a test:-) (kidding)

An inexperienced guy could &quot;rebuild&quot; that POS Trans putting every single part back as it came apart and waste all the time and money just like that, missing parts, welded chunks, Frankenstein would be proud:-)

Dentist give you a good drilling and filling?

Ryan

Ryan1969Chevelle 12-31-2015 12:44 AM

I visited Sam after work, what fun!!

We checked out a few W-Machines, especially his 69 W-30 it has boxed lowers sway bar and trailing arms:-)

I picked up a set of 14 X 6 steel wheels and three dinged up 67-69 dog dish caps:-)

We looked especially at fuel pumps and alternators, he has all the part numbers memorized:-)

Thanks Sam!!

Postsedan 12-31-2015 01:22 AM

Well done on the Italian Gears and the Trailing Arms [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Dan

Ryan1969Chevelle 12-31-2015 09:40 AM

More transmission info:-)

&quot;LOL, the dentist did a good painless cleaning. I agree with you regarding putting something back together as it came apart with pieces missing. The most common deletion is a cluster shim. I have found them many times stuck to the bottom magnet. They are tricky to get in place and a real pain if you use too much grease on the cluster bearings. The transmissions where I found the shims on the case bottom require a main case change as the cluster, without a .146 shim on one end, walks and grinds away the case. Not pretty.

Nick&quot;

Ryan1969Chevelle 12-31-2015 06:29 PM

Nick Cleaning the Trans parts:-)

Hopefully no more issues! (Better now than later of course)

Ryan

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...6821-image.jpg
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/pics...6822-image.jpg

Ryan1969Chevelle 01-02-2016 01:44 PM

Spent a little time in the garage last night, heater works:-) bins are preped for small parts:-) but....

I am already hurting for space and the single bare bulb is wholly inadequate:-(

Step by step:-)

I have to make shelves high on one side of the garage for totes and parts like driveshaft for example otherwise I am not going to accomplish anything:-(

Time to do a few chores around the house, then take off my apron and measure up for shelves to see what lumber is needed:-)

I also hope to take the exhaust to the igloo (again to make room to move.)

Ryan

The one thing I did get done was mop up the oil that spilled out of the M22, (rookie here stored it for a few days with the tail down) the oil pooled around all kinds of wheeled carts, etc, took an hour to soak it up:-(

Learning every single day:-)

Postsedan 01-02-2016 11:16 PM

The one thing I did get done was mop up the oil that spilled out of the M22, (rookie here stored it for a few days with the tail down) the oil pooled around all kinds of wheeled carts, etc, took an hour to soak it up:-(

Learning every single day:-)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

What great Humor....I believe most of us have all done these silly mistakes....just mostly in our teen`s and 20`s.
All good stuff Ryan.

Yes....organization, cleanliness and proper lighting is key.....without the three I just cannot function [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif[/img]

Dan

Damien 01-03-2016 05:22 AM

Ryan, when we moved into out current house 13 years ago, I knew the garage was going to go for a new version sooner rather than later and I had a similar lighting issue. I ended up getting hold of some 4' double fluro lights and put plugs on the end so I could run a lead to it. I hung them in position so I could work on my race car. Worked great as a temporary measure and was relatively inexpensive. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll get past it. Keep the hammer down, your going great!