The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Actor Kevin Hart injured in a 70 Cuda (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156836)

JRSully 09-02-2019 08:57 PM

Actor Kevin Hart injured in a 70 Cuda

Seems the actor, Kevin Hart, was injured pretty badly in a wreck as a passenger in a 70 Cuda off the infamous Muholland Drive in CA. He owned the car, but was not driving. That road has claimed many a celebrity.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/01/kevin...ngers-trapped/

L_e_e 09-02-2019 09:26 PM

The before...
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-plymouth-cuda

Lee Stewart 09-07-2019 10:21 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/6q5Bc1Pq/AAGNSe5.jpg

Kevin Hart's classic car from accident lacked safety features

TMZ spoke to "several owners of car customizing shops" who specialized in performance vehicles, who told them that it was "highly unusual" for cars with 720 horsepower -- like the 1970 Plymouth Barracuda that Hart was riding in -- to not have a five-point harness seat belt and a roll cage.

In fact, the outlet spoke to Rad Rides by Troy, who build Joe Rogan his Hemi-powered 1970 Barracuda -- similar to Kevin's -- and it did have those safety features. Apparently the staff was "shocked" that Kevin's didn't.

They also reached out to the company that customized Kevin's car, SpeedKore, but they had no comment when asked about the car's safety features.

Kevin was riding with two friends -- one was reportedly airlifted to a Los Angeles hospital; the other walked away with minor injuries -- in his 1970 Plymouth Barracuda when it went off the road and crashed through a fence on Mulholland Highway near Malibu and Calabasas in the early-morning hours of Sept. 1.

According to TMZ, Kevin's security removed him from the scene of the accident prior to the paramedics arriving, taking him to his house before calling paramedics for treatment. The actor suffered serious back injury and doctors fused three sections of his spine. He will be undergoing physical therapy for several months.

olredalert 09-08-2019 01:29 AM

----So many questions. The roof got removed in the accident and they escaped with the injuries noted? Did anyone in the car have their seatbelts utilized? I'm not saying that there is any funny business but we don't know the whole story...….Bill S

Lee Stewart 09-08-2019 03:39 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/Kc7W2hc3/Kevin-Hart-Cuda2.jpg

You see anything that looks like a seat belt? BTW . . . this car was a 2 seater. So where was the third person sitting?

Crush 09-08-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olredalert (Post 1462531)
----So many questions. The roof got removed in the accident and they escaped with the injuries noted? Did anyone in the car have their seatbelts utilized? I'm not saying that there is any funny business but we don't know the whole story...….Bill S

He has a fractured back and goes home then to the hospital!?

JRSully 09-08-2019 12:51 PM

Love how the media portrays the car as a "Vintage 1970 Musclecar...' that thing could not have been modified any further

the427king 09-08-2019 02:40 PM

Looks like the safety features of that guard rail were more a problem than the car itself. Looks like wood and plastic keeping him from driving down a ravine

nova7579 09-08-2019 03:24 PM

This reminds me of a Nationwise Auto Parts bumper sticker my Dad had on the 70 Townsman wagon as a kid........."Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars".
Brian

luzl78 09-08-2019 06:49 PM

Kevin might have been to short to see over the dashboard. Just sayin.

GotGrunt 09-08-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luzl78 (Post 1462591)

The roof caved in but he can still fit inside :D

mssl72 09-08-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luzl78 (Post 1462591)

Very true, but sources say Kevin wasn't driving. At one point I heard on the news that they had just come out of a turn before they lost control. Something tells me a little too much foot coming out of a turn with all that power.

Lee Stewart 09-10-2019 06:38 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/PJdFnLw5/rr.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/W4r9Dmm4/jj.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cHBXhsby/bb.jpg

As comedian Kevin Hart goes through the process of physical rehabilitation after wrecking out in his 1970 Plymouth ‘Cuda named Menace, the car is set to be taken apart. California Highway Patrol will continue its investigation by performing an autopsy on Menace, taking the car apart to determine if anything malfunctioned. Alcohol has already been ruled out as a factor in the crash.

This won’t be a quick teardown of the car, but instead forensic investigators anticipate the process will take about three weeks. There’s a possibility the restomod will be kept in its disassembled state once the investigation is done.

Making matters worse, TMZ claims CHP is pushing for changes in California laws regarding restored cars. More specifically, shops would have to install safety harnesses, even if the original design didn’t include them. The 1970 Plymouth ‘Cuda had no such restraints, a factor CHP believes contributed to the serious nature of Hart and the driver’s injuries. However, the other passenger who sustained only minor injuries also wasn’t wearing any safety restraints at the time of the crash.

Another issue on the table is salvaged cars that are subsequently restored. CHP is pushing for government regulation requiring such vehicles to be inspected by officials before they can be licensed in the state. Needless to say, many car restoration shops and enthusiasts won’t like this push one bit since it means the government alters the original look of their vehicles by force.

Menace is a 1970 Plymouth ‘Cuda restomod created by SpeedKore for the 2016 SEMA show. It comes with a Hellcat engine, multiple carbon-fiber body panels, a reinforced chassis, and other performance enhancements. Needless to say, it’s not a car for drivers inexperienced with high-powered rear-wheel-drive models to drive hard.

Kevin Hart’s friend and the fiancé of his wife’s trainer, Jared S. Black, was driving Menace on Mulholland Highway when he lost control, crashed through a fence, and the car rolled multiple times down an embankment. Black had to be airlifted to a hospital while Hart was able to transport himself for care. Rebecca Broxterman, the trainer, was in the backseat but only sustained minor injuries.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...outh-cuda-fate

markinnaples 09-10-2019 06:41 PM

So now the latest development is that California authorities are going to dismantle Hart's Cuda, which I am sure means more upcoming regulations on old cars in California. I would guess that they are going to start regulating the placement of newer engines and such into old cars, which doesn't bode well for anyone into classic cars.

Mr70 09-10-2019 06:48 PM

Maybe require 700HP vehicles to at the very least have 5 pt. seatbelts and a roll cage?

Lee Stewart 09-10-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markinnaples (Post 1462873)
So now the latest development is that California authorities are going to dismantle Hart's Cuda, which I am sure means more upcoming regulations on old cars in California. I would guess that they are going to start regulating the placement of newer engines and such into old cars, which doesn't bode well for anyone into classic cars.

Hey . . . got to protect the rich stupid people you know. And CA has more than it's far share.

GotGrunt 09-10-2019 08:15 PM

You would think California has other more important things to focus their time & energy on rather than a weeks long forensic teardown of a car that was obviously crashed due to driver error.

mssl72 09-10-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Stewart (Post 1462872)
https://i.postimg.cc/PJdFnLw5/rr.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/W4r9Dmm4/jj.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/cHBXhsby/bb.jpg

...the car is set to be taken apart. California Highway Patrol will continue its investigation by performing an autopsy on Menace, taking the car apart to determine if anything malfunctioned... This won’t be a quick teardown of the car, but instead forensic investigators anticipate the process will take about three weeks. There’s a possibility the restomod will be kept in its disassembled state once the investigation is done...

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...outh-cuda-fate

Well, I've seen worse, but I can't imagine anyone would try to put this car back together. :no:

olredalert 09-10-2019 08:48 PM

----Wonder who insured it? Hagerty? LOL!......Bill S

Spooky 09-10-2019 11:28 PM

I'm with Chuck on this one.... Where are the real guard rails? Maybe Sema should counter the "law change" with a mandatory guard rail law. CA would not want to pay for that!

nova7579 09-11-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nova7579 (Post 1462576)
This reminds me of a Nationwise Auto Parts bumper sticker my Dad had on the 70 Townsman wagon as a kid........."Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars".
Brian

Please refer to post #9

Mr. Chevy 09-11-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotGrunt (Post 1462893)
You would think California has other more important things to focus their time & energy on rather than a weeks long forensic teardown of a car that was obviously crashed due to driver error.

I agree, with no life threatening injury cite the driver for failure to control/reckless operation and be done with it.

Rich

Lee Stewart 09-22-2019 05:06 PM

Kevin Hart is likely to be slapped with a lawsuit following the Sept 1 car crash involving his vintage car.

Sources close to the situation tell TMZ that Kevin and the two other people in his car - the driver, who sustained serious neck and back injuries - as well as the other backseat passenger -- have all lawyered up.

While Kevin wasn't behind the wheel of the car, his 1970 Plymouth Barracuda did not have safety harnesses or airbags. This could constitute negligence, according to the website.

But Kevin isn't the only person who could be on the hook. After the California Highway Patrol's investigation, the driver could also be responsible as well as the company who customized the classic car. According to TMZ, "the company is the expert and even if Kevin wanted a custom job without safety harnesses, the company should have refused the job because it wasn't safe ... especially with a powerful, 720 horsepower engine."

They also claim that law enforcement sources have revealed to them the CHP may lobby the California State Legislature in order to prohibit custom car companies from rebuilding cars without harnesses ... whether the customer wants them or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cel...cid=spartandhp

jer 09-22-2019 06:53 PM

Just how safe can a street car be made if the powertrain advances the car's safety?
Installing harnesses just keeps the passengers in the seat while their head can go in all different directions....Dale Sr. Installing harnesses means you'd have to have inspections by competent means....who's that? Installing harnesses without a roll cage just doesn't make sense and it doesn't need to be explained. Installing harnesses only does 1 thing positive, makes the harness manufacturer richer.
This should be fun to watch.

Lee Stewart 09-23-2019 03:14 AM

Kevin Hart Likely To File Lawsuit Against Company Who Built His Barracuda

Now that actor/comedian Kevin Hart has been released from the hospital after sustaining three fractures to his spine that required back surgery, it is said that he is now in the process of preparing a lawsuit against Speedkore, the company who built his beastly 720-horsepower Plymouth Barracuda that was powered by a modern 6.4L Hemi V8 and topped with a Whipple supercharger. In addition, the driver, Jared S. Black, and the backseat passenger who sustained minor injuries, have also hired lawyers due to the lack of safety equipment in the car which is said to have a roll cage, airbags, and five-point harnesses. They believe the addition of these safety features would have prevented their injuries.

According to TMZ, the big issue is that Speedkore should have refused the job to Hart even if he wanted the custom car to come without safety equipment. TMZ contacted 10 different custom car companies to see if they would still offer cars without safety equipment considering the Hart crash, and 8 out of 10 said that they still would.

The California Highway Patrol is still investigating the crash but talks of changing the laws revolving around classic cars are already in the works. If this legislation is approved, that means that all cars, no matter how old, must have seatbelts or harnesses installed to be legal and road worthy. While safety is no doubt a priority, these classics have been around for decades without any of these features. Also, this means drilling holes into million-dollar Concours cars just to add tacky seatbelts that will hardly ever be used. Plus, it is not unheard of for these laws to trickle over to other states.

So, if Kevin Hart, and the two others involved in the crash, file lawsuits against SpeedKore over safety equipment, what impact will that have on the impending changes on California laws regarding safety restraints in muscle cars? No doubt it would have a negative impact for classic car owners that are forced to drill into their beloved classic cars to add features they have never been equipped with.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...o-file-lawsuit

BCreekDave 09-23-2019 12:48 PM

My opinion is should at least have the restraints-safety equipment that were present when the car (according to the VIN number-year built) originally came with. If you want to add to this level than that is up to you. This could easily roll itself into needing seat belts and even air bags (passive restraints) into the nicely restored Model T you have in your garage.
I hope Speedkore has a signed waiver from Kevin Hart for no installation of at least the belts. If they do and he is still suing them then that shows you what he is made of.

SS427 09-23-2019 02:35 PM

Another case of people not taking responsibility for their actions. If any suit should take place it should be the drivers girlfriend and Kevin suing the driver. First and foremost if you did not break any street or driving laws (i.e. not wearing seatbelts, exceeding the speed limit, reckless driving, failure to control, etc, etc) there would not be an issue. If you do break the laws than accept the responsibility. Yet another case of going after the builder because you are an idiot. It is making our business harder and harder due to insurance increases and lawsuits. I am glad I am not building Kevin's type of cars in our shop as the liability would be enormous in this lawsuit happy world.

markinnaples 09-23-2019 02:54 PM

I believe that the friend who was driving the car (as well as the passenger) are suing KH, who has retained a lawyer for his defense. I read that KH isn't suing the car builder, but the idiot friend who crashed (and again, the passenger) are suing KH and SpeedKore (the builder).

SS427 09-23-2019 03:03 PM

Are you referring to Lee's post (Kevin Hart has been released from the hospital after sustaining three fractures to his spine that required back surgery, it is said that he is now in the process of preparing a lawsuit against Speedkore) or did you read something else on line where it states that Kevin wasn't suing the builder?

luzl78 09-23-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markinnaples (Post 1464374)
I believe that the friend who was driving the car (as well as the passenger) are suing KH, who has retained a lawyer for his defense. I read that KH isn't suing the car builder, but the idiot friend who crashed (and again, the passenger) are suing KH and SpeedKore (the builder).

It could never be my fault...somebody has to pay for my actions. God damn people.

markinnaples 09-23-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS427 (Post 1464376)
Are you referring to Lee's post (Kevin Hart has been released from the hospital after sustaining three fractures to his spine that required back surgery, it is said that he is now in the process of preparing a lawsuit against Speedkore) or did you read something else on line where it states that Kevin wasn't suing the builder?

I read that online earlier today.

Lee Stewart 09-24-2019 06:16 PM

Kevin Hart Could Be Sued By Plymouth ‘Cuda Driver

Jared S. Black, the man who was driving Kevin Hart’s car when it crashed, as well as the backseat passenger, Rebecca Broxterman, might be preparing to sue Hart. While it’s been previously reported that Hart has lawyered up possibly in preparation to sue SpeedKore, the company which built Menace, his highly modified 1970 Plymouth ‘Cuda, this is the first indication that Hart himself might be on the hook.

The potential argument, according to a TMZ report, is that Hart was negligent by not insisting the ‘Cuda have safety harnesses or airbags installed. But the question remains if Black and Broxterman got into the car knowing this, and Black operated the vehicle with that knowledge, if that argument would hold up in open court. At this point it’s all conjecture since no lawsuits have been filed.

Ever since that fateful crash on Mulholland Highway in Calabasas, California, the news about Kevin Hart has taken a few twists and turns. By all accounts, it sounds like the fallout from the incident is far from over, and it might last for years to come.

Both Hart and Black sustained serious back injuries after the Plymouth ‘Cuda left the roadway early on a Sunday morning and rolled down a ditch. While Hart was able to get out of the car and go to his home before heading to a local hospital, Black and Broxterman were trapped inside and had to be extricated by first responders.

Menace, which was highlighted at the 2016 SEMA show, underwent extensive modifications. Among them was the installation of a supercharged 6.2-liter Hemi V8 and lightweighting. Why Hart handed the keys over to Black remains a mystery. While Black has been cleared of drunk driving charges, the California Highway Patrol investigation could still lead to criminal charges. It could also uncover that Menace malfunctioned mechanically, putting SpeedKore on the hook with authorities in California.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...sued-by-driver

Mr70 09-24-2019 06:55 PM

Here's how I could see this playing out:
*The driver & passenger will sue Hart.
*Hart will turn around & sue Speedkore.
*Speedkore could have a leg to stand on by saying Hart didn't request us to install safety constraints,as well as the State doesn't mandate us to put restraints in.
*Hart will then turnaround and sue the driver for negligence,but I could see the courts saying,"if you saw the driver as being competent enough to drive your car,why shouldn't we?"...As well as Hart might have given consent to the driver to "Floor it" or egging him on in someway while sitting next to him.Only those 3 in the car know what truly happened.
*I also don't think Hart being taken away @ the scene by his bodyguard will bode well for him & he might be left holding the bag for all parties involved in the end.As well as being a celebrity,meaning this will always come up in a conversation somewhere,like other actions from his past already have.
*The courts could also tell the driver & passenger,"you knew what you were getting into,be grateful you're alive & walking away",and drop their lawsuits.
*The state might want to revise their laws to mandate special cars built like this in the future to have better safety restraints too.

hiperf406 09-29-2019 06:23 PM

It's the same old story "It's not my fault that I was driving too fast for my poor driving skills, it has to be the owners fault". The owner says it can't be my fault I let a person with poor driving abilities drive my car, it's gotta be the shop that built the cars fault. Also the passenger says it's not my fault I got into the car of my own freewill. Typical with today's society "It's not my fault" scenario that is so popular in today's society" One of the three has to man up.

Lee Stewart 10-11-2019 12:01 PM

Officials have determined that reckless driving caused the car crash that put Kevin Hart in the hospital with major back injuries.

A California Highway Patrol report released Thursday said a man driving Hart's vintage muscle car accelerated recklessly on a Southern California highway, causing the Sept. 1 accident that left the comedian and driver seriously injured.

Investigators say producer Jared Black was turning onto Mulholland Highway near Malibu when he accelerated and lost control of the comic actor's 1970 Plymouth Barracuda with Hart and the driver's fiancée, Rebecca Broxterman, as passengers. The car then careened down an embankment and slammed into a tree.

Investigators say it appears no one in the car was wearing a seat belt.

Lee Stewart 10-30-2019 04:13 AM

Kevin Hart not suing driver in terrible car accident: Report

Kevin Hart apparently has no intention of going to court for the horrific car crash that resulted in him suffering three spinal fractures.

TMZ reported that the actor has no plans to sue his pal Jared Black, who was driving Kevin's classic car the evening of the crash. Investigators said the car crashed because Jared was driving recklessly, sending it off the road, through a fence and down a ditch. The car, 1970 Plymouth Baraccuda, was totaled.

"Kevin's not even going to file a claim with Jared's insurance company to cover his medical bills and the cost of the [car]," TMZ said, adding that Kevin "will use his personal health insurance to cover medical costs."

Although he nearly died in the wreck, Kevin holds no ill will toward Jared or his fiance, Rebecca, show as also in the car at the time of the crash.

Interestingly, TMZ previously reported that Jared already lawyered up and could file a lawsuit against Kevin for not having the proper safety harnesses in the car. In fact, a source told the webloid in September that a lawsuit is "almost certain." Police said no one in the car was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, something that could foil a potential lawsuit against the actor.

After some grueling physical therapy, Kevin has slowly started returning to work, and he was even seen out with Jay-Z last week.

The recovering comedian has said little publicly since the Sept. 1 accident, but broke his silence earlier this month.

"I have nothing but love for Jared and wish him and Rebecca a speedy recovery," he said in the statement.

Mr70 10-30-2019 03:04 PM

Because Hart encouraged the reckless driving...."GO FOR IT!" :burnout: