The Supercar Registry

The Supercar Registry (https://www.yenko.net/forum/index.php)
-   Chevrolet (https://www.yenko.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Month Car Shipped Reports? (https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157572)

rlw68 10-18-2019 07:50 PM

Month Car Shipped Reports?

I have a question about the "Month Car Shipped Report" where the NCRS document service data comes from. Does the original Chevrolet report contain the option codes or not?

An image from just one microfiche page would be the definitive answer :confused2:

https://www.chevymuscledocs.com/

Quote:

With permission granted by the General Motors Heritage Center, the National Corvette Restorers Society is pleased to announce that it can now offer certain information contained in 1965 through 1972 (with some limited data) Camaro, Chevelle and Nova Month Car Shipped Reports.

PeteLeathersac 10-18-2019 08:34 PM

'

Being 'Monthly Shipping Reports' are exactly what GM Canada Vintage Services gleans Vin specific 'as shipped' RPO's also other info to prepare their 'Vintage Vehicle' packages, it wouldn't be surprising if the answer is YES.
Doubtful they'll ever release the US info but if a large fraud case, a court could demand RPO info for a specific Vin?:hmmm:

Keep in mind, GM Canada has Vin specific RPO info available for most;
- Canada built 60's/70's cars shipped new to Canadian dealers.
- US Built 60's/70's cars shipped new to Canadian dealers.
- Canada built 60's/70's cars shipped new to US dealers also other countries.
- '77 and up GM product built in the US & Canada regardless of where shipped new.

:beers:
~ Pete

firstgenaddict 10-23-2019 04:17 PM

The reports must contain some more unique identifying alpha numeric codes BECAUSE the NCRS will confirm that a tank sheet or window sticker belongs to certain cars based upon DEALER ORDER NUMBERS and other unique identifiers.

rlw68 10-23-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstgenaddict (Post 1468027)
The reports must contain some more unique identifying alpha numeric codes BECAUSE the NCRS will confirm that a tank sheet or window sticker belongs to certain cars based upon DEALER ORDER NUMBERS and other unique identifiers.

Exactly. Some details were posted on the CRG website in the Original dealer info for 1st gens is available discussion, reply #42

Sorry, I removed this from an earlier post after finding more information about the reports. I'm off on a 'fiching trip!

:smirk:

Kurt S 10-23-2019 09:40 PM

No, it only has the VIN, the order #, the dealer, and the date. That's it.

rlw68 10-23-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt S (Post 1468089)
No, it only has the VIN, the order #, the dealer, and the date. That's it.

Can you show us one of the pages from this report? The Canadian ones are easy to find.

firstgenaddict 10-27-2019 09:43 PM

On Corvette Order Copies there is not a VIN - however there is a VIN in the shipping reports which lines up with the order number and then the vette sheets have IDENT NUMBER, which apparently is also on the shipping report, how an ident number would be represented on a Camaro or other line I have no clue...

For the NCRS Document confirmation service - My understanding is that you email a high res photo of the TANK SHEET OR WINDOW STICKER to the NCRS and they will confirm if it is authentic, I understand they use those numbers in their determination.

rlw68 10-28-2019 01:20 AM

Nice summary from a CRG post by John Hinkley (johnz)

Quote:

The body number on the cowl tag was assigned when the plant accepted a dealer order for production; the dealer order number (which was pre-printed on the dealer's order blanks) didn't serve any direct purpose on the line in production, although it followed the car on all the Chevrolet paperwork (Broadcast Copy, window sticker, Car Shipper, etc.). The body number on the cowl tag showed up as the "Ident Number" in the top row on the Broadcast Copy, and also showed up in the upper right corner of the window sticker and Car Shipper. In the scheduling computer, that number tied the unit back to the specs on the Dealer Order.
This is a really magic number! The way NCRS keeps it 'secret' and used GM data to create their document validation service is really shady, in my opinion. It costs another $100 and offered only for members Corettes. Might be a cash cow?? Revenue for non profit organizations is public information
  • Document Service revenue for 2018 was $89,221
  • Document Service revenue for 2017 was $101,860
  • Document Service revenue for 2016 was $99,037
  • Document Service revenue for 2015 was $118,282
(Source: Corvette Restorer-Fall 2019 and Fall 2017 issues)

“Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”
~ Eric Hoffer

:bs:

Kurt S 11-01-2019 07:50 AM

They sunk a lot of time and money into making the dealer data available. I don't know that any other group that would have been able to do that.

rlw68 11-01-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt S (Post 1469348)
They sunk a lot of time and money into making the dealer data available. I don't know that any other group that would have been able to do that.

The GM Media Archives has been quite capable of managing and providing access to significantly larger amounts of information. It really seems absurd to me that the NCRS got exclusive access to these shipping records instead. Do you know how much it cost them or what year it was? From what I've seen the expense had been recouped at least 10 fold.

The NCRS decided what information to hold back and use for their own purposes. Perhaps the rest of us poor cousins were lucky to get reports at all, even though it was ~5 years later. We will likely never get the order# that is also stamped on the trim tags. Unlike all of the Corvettes I expect the majority of muscle cars dont have build sheets on the gas tanks to be 'validated'. The recent discussions about clones like now infamous LS-6 wannabe is what got me looking into this to begin with.

I had no idea until now that the order# is also on the monthly shipping reports. Maybe everyone knows this and I am just late to the party as usual.

:crazy: