View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Anybody Actually Goin' Fast With a Holley 3 BBL?

[ QUOTE ]

Well Paul..........I'm sorry if it wasn't explained "scientifically" enough for you or that you didn't understand the Holley terminology. The 950 3BBL Vacuum Secondary was removed and the 850 DP (Double Pumper) was installed box-stock. This was done over the winter months while the drag strips were closed so I don't have any official drag strip numbers, but seat-of-the-pants revealed the 850 DP to be DRAMATICALLY faster. I had modified my 950 Holley 3 BBL (they didn't have jets in the rear, remember) with a kit that Holley offers that puts a Secondary Metering Plate (block, whatever) at the rear of the carb for easy jet changes, just like the front. As far as Joel Rosen is concerned, he obviously didn't think much of those Holley 3 BBL's in their out-of-the-box configuration and sold a kit to convert them to mechanical Secondaries. I believe it was called something like the "Motion Gear Drive Injector Kit". It included two meshing gears that fit onto the ends of the Primary and Secondary throttle shafts, thus allowing them to open at the same time and a very strange squirter on the Primary side that stretched across the top of the carb and discharged into the Secondary throttle bores. To many people and even Joel Rosen himself, this was the best way to get them to function decently. Now.....I may not have an EGT Monitor, but I've built and raced several 9-second street cars by the tried and true'd, old fashioned method of spark plug reading, so I really would like to think that I know a thing or two when it comes to dialing in a Holley, in particular to suit my purposes. I've gotten by quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Settle down Mark, get off that computer and get that 62 running again....